What's new

Steering Wheel Judder

ryan14421

Reaction score
Morning all, I have started to develop an issue with my 8th gen Accord.

Whilst accelerating mainly around the 40-60mph area I get a fair amount of steering wheel vibration/judder. But only on acceleration, once I ease off the accelerator the vibration stops. I also don’t seem to have the issue if I accelerate once above say 70mph.

Any help with diagnosis/ recommended aftermarket parts would be a real help. Hopefully it’s nothing too pricey.

Thanks

I would start by getting the wheels balanced

Second vote for wheel balancing. Can you feel it through the steering wheel only?

Thanks both, I will get the car booked in for wheel balancing.

I noticed yesterday evening that the problem seems to be intermittent. I had a mixed 40min drive where I had the problem around the speeds mentioned above, but then again a mixed over 1hr drive where I had no issues?

**update** I have swapped the front to rear but still have the same issue.

I have noticed that I can only really feel the vibration under moderate/hard acceleration. Whereas if I gradually build up speed I don’t seem to feel it.

Thanks @stellamon

I’m going to go with changing out the driveshafts on either side. I’ll check the forums for some ‘how to’ guide.

Whilst I’m at it, is there anything else worth changing due to having to remove. Car is now on 87k, I bought it at 46k and it’s not had any suspension/steering parts changed.

Thanks for the advice.

That could solve the problem but is probably the most expensive and time consuming option to start with.
If you know a reputable mechanic/garage maybe book it in to have a check of all the other things it could be.
If you are competent enough to change drive shafts then I may be wasting my time suggesting examining all the cheaper components first.
Mine has nearly 200k miles and the worst problem so far has been the brakes binding. It had 150k on the clock at purchase so maybe things like this were already fixed, I know the clutch had been done. Yours is very low mileage to develop this problem

Last edited:
You don't feel bad driveshafts through the steering wheel at all. The whole car is shaking from the floor instead. If it does it under acceleration but not when coasting and shakes the whole car in a certain window (usually around 30-40mph or 70-80mph) then the inner CV joint is busted. At least on the 2.4s right side is usually the first one to go. The damage will be very obvious once you disassemble it and clean out the grease. On mine the right side CV was shot and it shook the whole car on acceleration between 70-80mph, below and above that everything was fine.
There's no decent aftermarket replacement, gotta cough up 300 for a genuine replacement from Honda if you want it to be fixed for a long time. Cox can get them on special order so availability is not a problem but they are pricey.

1693282915795.png
pw8edbF.jpg

Last edited:
Start with wheel balancing and have wheel alignment checked too. Check the rims and check that the tyres are in good condition and that there are no air bubbles.

From your description it sounds like drive shafts. I had the same issue too. Do not buy second hand drive shafts as most of them will have the same issue. Its a known fault with these drive shafts. Since they are a bit pricey you might want to have a mechanic check them so that you do not break the bank and change both. On my accord the left one was busted (longer one of the two drive shafts) and replaced only that. Change the oil in the gearbox whilst you're at it. Car feels as good as new now. Hope this helps.

Thanks all for the advice, I decided on the cheaper option to start with. Both inner and outer tie rods on both sides along with a trip to the local garage for a front wheel alignment.

It does feel much better, however I think there is still a slight vibration, either from below me or in front of me, not from the wheel really. I’ll have to take it on a longer drive to really test it.

If it's coming from the floor then it's most likely the driveshaft. Check if it stops when coasting.

As @Trawa said if it’s through the floor/your butt and only happens when accelerating at higher speeds, then almost certainly it is the driveshafts. Usually it’s just the inner CV joints that need changing; I had the left side rebuilt in June and it sorted it for me. I had mine done by Dan and Matt at Honda HQ in Cannock. Took them both about 1.5 hours to do the left inner CV joint, lower ball joints both sides and a transmission fluid change. Labour cost was about £120 and I supplied all the parts. Can’t recommend them enough.