What's new

Strange Electrics

Jimbo07g41

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I have mainly been reading on this forum because my car has been so reliable. I have had it a year and only had to replace a headlight bulb. However, I have an electrical issue that has left me scratching my head.

I was out in my tourer yesterday when I noticed that the dashboard was telling me that one of the rear doors was open. This means I cant operate the central locking or use the alarm and the courtsey lights stay on.

Now the weird thing is that if I leave the drivers seatbelt in the problems sorts itself out. Normaly I would be replacing the sensor on that door, but what the heck is going on with the seatbelt?

Very interesting indeed, not sure really. From my experience of electrical gremlins I have found bad ground can sometimes cause problems like this.

I would probably start by inspecting the door pin switches and just make everything is in working order. I would then maybe check all the components involved in the offending circuit and just eliminate each thing

Thanks Shabz, I will check the door switches and also check the battery. I will have a look if I can find any circuit diagrams as the seatbelt tell tale might be on the same circuit.

Hi jamie, a good place to check the earth connections is underneath the storage box in front of the ashtray. I had taken mine out the other week and there was a chassis grounding point there with a lot of cables connected to it , worth a look pal.

Yes I agree great advice from Shabz, and Stuart. Got to be something in common = grounding points.
You can get strange things happening when there's a loose ground, as the current tries to find another way to the lowest potential..
Like it's said I'd start with the door switch itself but Stu is spot on with under the handbrake cowling..

Good luck
let us know how you get on!

I also found a lot of earth's under the passenger seat, though that seemed mainly for cabling running under the near side sill.

Update

This problem went and came back.

I was replacing a bulb today so also cleaned up the battery connections. The Battery only had 12.2 so that might have been the problem. However, this low battery might have been caused by the intermitent problem. Also cleaned up a couple of earth points,

If I understand correctly the door open warning comes on with the door shut but if you plug the driver's seatbelt buckle into its stalk the warning goes away?

If I've got the right can you please try a little experiment? With the ignition on and the doors shut plug the driver's seatbelt buckle into its stalk. Both lights should now be out. What happens if you now open the offending door? Does just the door open warning light come on or do both lights illuminate?

Alan