What's new

strange noise from front suspension

Rinesh

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Executive
Hi guys,

Since approx 2 months i am getting a strange sound (left side front) when going over a speedbump, turning my steering wheel or driving on bad roads. Its sounds like this (Not my video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNn7eb2nC0c
So the first time i went to my mechanic, he could not find the problem. But he sprayed some wd40 at almost all the important bushes. After 1 day the sound was gone. Unfortunatly 2 weeks ago the sound came back, so i started looking on the internet where i found the video. Since the sound is the same, and in different posts i read that occasionly the compliance bush is the problem i decided to replace it. My mechanic put some stress on it before replacing and indeed it made some weird noise.

So now the compliance bush is replaced but the sound is still there. Now even my mechanic has no clue what is causing the sound.
Also the sound is not consistently present, and sometimes i can feel it in the steering wheel when turning.

Do you guys have any clue what the problem could be, or what else to inspect.
Every input is welcome.

Kind regards,
Rinesh

Sounds like you might need any other mechanic....could be upper wishbone ball joint or any of the other bushes....however I would have hoped that he would have been able to get a bar in and find the joint with excessive play pretty quickly?

I noticed a little play in the steering from the upper wish bone ball joint so will be replacing plus the front lower compliance bush for good measure...are you sure the noise is coming for the front? I had the standard arb links and bushes issue, replaced to cure a knocking noise on mine.

Simon1602 said:
Sounds like you might need any other mechanic....could be upper wishbone ball joint or any of the other bushes....however I would have hoped that he would have been able to get a bar in and find the joint with excessive play pretty quickly?

I noticed a little play in the steering from the upper wish bone ball joint so will be replacing plus the front lower compliance bush for good measure...are you sure the noise is coming for the front? I had the standard arb links and bushes issue, replaced to cure a knocking noise on mine.
He checked the upper wishbone ball joint and all the other bushes, also used a bar while suspension was under load even when taking of the load from suspension. I was there with him all the time...
Sound is from the front, left wheel area. The problem is not constantly there, thats makes it hard to diagnose it....

Dry anti-roll bar droplink. If on OEM, then run out of grease and squeak like hell.

jayok said:
Dry anti-roll bar droplink. If on OEM, then run out of grease and squeak like hell.
My mechanic also checked them, they dont seem to be the problem. Also bothside had been replaced in the last year

Well, let's look at how you're re-creating the sound with the pry-bar. By applying vertical force on the LCA at that point, force will be transferred to the following:

1. LCA bushes - the compliance bush is done, but what about the other 2?
2. The ARB droplinks - done? The ARB bushes (unlikely, but possible)
3. The UCA bushes?
4. The shock and rubber seats for the springs?

That's pretty much it. That creak sound for me was the droplinks. Depending on the quality of the droplinks put in, the could be squeaking a year later. Disconnect them and see if the squeaking goes.

jayok said:
Well, let's look at how you're re-creating the sound with the pry-bar. By applying vertical force on the LCA at that point, force will be transferred to the following:

1. LCA bushes - the compliance bush is done, but what about the other 2?
2. The ARB droplinks - done? The ARB bushes (unlikely, but possible)
3. The UCA bushes?
4. The shock and rubber seats for the springs?

That's pretty much it. That creak sound for me was the droplinks. Depending on the quality of the droplinks put in, the could be squeaking a year later. Disconnect them and see if the squeaking goes.
Im going to make an appointment with the local honda dealer, i expect them to properly diagnose it. Normally i dont visit them because of their pricing and customer service, but i dont think i have any other option. What are lca bushes and uca bushes?

If wd40 made it go quiet before, try it again but only do one or two bushes at a time so you can narrow down which one it is

Update: went to the dealer today. They told me the sound is coming from the left front strut...
So i have to replace the whole strut (not sure if it is the correct term, in dutch: veerpoot).
First off all, i think it is going to be an expensive fix?
Second: my executive has the type s suspension, is the strut different for the 2 models? Is there a part number or something that will make it easier for me to look for?

Another update:
Guys i doubted my local honda dealer diagnose. So yesterday i went to another honda dealer in another city where my car had been maintained by the previous owner. Problem was headlight adjustment sensor (mounted somewhere in the shock area front left side). Seemed like the sensor and mounting stabilizer were the problem. They removed it, the sound went away, today they replaced it wih a new one, and problem is solved.

Conclussion: if there are strange/weird noises from the suspension area and you are not finding the problem, check the sensor...