What's new

Stucked Hand brake

accord2001

Members
Reaction score
Car
Fr-v
yesterday i noticed a grinding sound coming from the wheels at low speed

this usually happen after the car being parked on a slight incline, and the sound went away once i start driving

i am suspecting this is caused by the handbrake mechanism, hence i heard a noise from rear wheel once i released handbrake and reversing the car out of a space,

Any idea Folks?

It might be the pads sticking due to grit/salt build up in the cold weather, or it might be a wear indicator letting you know that your pad linings are getting low.

Is it a tourer or a saloon?

It might be the pads sticking due to grit/salt build up in the cold weather, or it might be a wear indicator letting you know that your pad linings are getting low.

Is it a tourer or a saloon?

a 1.8 saloon mate, got the pad changed back in August, as far as i remember i had the problem even in warmer weather

luvmyaccord Simon says: The handbrake is a common fault on the 6th gen. I've had the cable in my ATR changed twice in 2 years. The rear disks and pads have been changed too. The most comon problem is that the cables become siezed inside the carriers. They are about £90 fitted for a new set iirc.

Is this wat it is?

Your brakes and caliper might just need taking apart and give a dam good clean with a wire brush.This will sort out most sticky brake problems.

As Brett says, clean the brakes with a wire brush and brake cleaner. Clean the carriers where the pads sit/ride and also clean the pads at the corresponding edge(s). There will likely be a build up of crud here, however you would hope this would have been cleaned at your last pad change. Once clean, put a little dab on copper grease where these same edges touch.

Next, slide pins. Pull them out, wipe then down then regrease them with rubber safe grease/paste. The top and bottom pins are slightly different so do them one at a time and be careful not to introduce grit into them at this point.

When the Caliper is off and if you can, rotate it around look at the handbrake/caliper lever arm. If the caliper lever arm itself is seized then there will be a gap between the lever arm and handbrake cable abutment as in the pic. If it is operating ok the spring with be strong enough to close the gap.

seized_caliper_zpsc56fb281.jpg

If its none of the above it can really only be down to a seized piston or internally perished brake hose.

The stuck caliper lever, seized piston or brake hose might be cooking your pads and disks by restricting the return of the piston so check for excess heat after a shortish journey.

What he said ;) also worth bleeding the calipers :unsure: simply fluid change alone as got me out of stuck...

guys

Just some update, the brakes on my accord are sticking as confirmed by a mechanic, due to rust on Caliper Piston

The symthoms i had were..squeaky noise/steering wheel vibration above 100KM and the obvious hot disc. it was so bad on one wheel even the alloys were warm!

despite all this she still passed the test 2nd time, 1st time was due to a blown light bulb...yeah i can't believe it!!!!

anyway its all sorted now, my mechanic friend took the piston apart, gave it good grinding and bit of tidy up.

i reckon i had this problem over the years hence she is responding so much better & also fuel economy!

:lol: :lol: :lol: