What's new

supermarket fuel paranoia

Roder5

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Type V
I've noticed a certain amount of paranoia regarding supermarket fuel, engine oil and filters.

With regard to the fuel, I recall this myth coming up several years ago and it being dispelled by "Which" or "What Car " when they explained there were limited numbers of refineries and all the fuel came from these regardless of brand. Supermarket fuel is cheap because it is a loss leader and entices the motorist into the store . There is also the argument that their fuel is better because it is "fresher" than the less frequently visited filling stations. I did a quick Google and found this:

"I worked for a fuel terminal company. This is how it works: Fuel is delivered in a very small number of pipelines. Terminals are the giant circular tanks that get their product directly from pipelines. If you're on the east coast, it's one of two pipelines. West coast, similar situation, different lines. The lines ship Premium, Regular, Diesel, and Jet fuel. Midgrade is a mixture Regular and Premium made at the time a tanker truck fills up at a terminal.

There are a handful of tanker truck operators in a given geographic area. Some consumer fuel providers, like Exxon, may have their own fleet of trucks. In any case, here's the important part. Every time a tanker truck driver (or the dispatcher) is tasked with obtaining fuel from a terminal, they select from the lowest price available among the local terminals. It's all the same fuel. They fill up the truck, and then deliver this fuel to the gas stations they service. The gas station owner does not care where the fuel came from.

Like in other businesses, there may be competitive agreements in place where, for instance, one tanker company gets a deal if they do business with one particular terminal. That has no effect at all on the fuel - remember - it's all the same fuel. If one terminal is out of Regular at the moment, the tanker drives to the next one and get Regular there.

What about additives? One particularly popular "special gas" sold by a particular company just contains two times the amount of the normal additive. This is keyed in by the tanker truck driver before he fills up the tanker at a terminal. Though the marketing for this particular product leads you to believe it's their own additive, it's not. It's the same as everybody else's, just twice as much.
posted by odinsdream at 12:42 PM on August 30, 2009 [6 favorites] "

With regard to engine oil and filter paranoia, I have always used motor factors own brand oil, mainly semi-syn but some full syn, and used their filters. I do a large annual mileage, and have run cars past 200,000 miles without engine grief, my last one a Vauxhall Cav 1.7td did 265,000 miles and did not need the oil topping up between services. I would say the important thing about oil/filter changes is that they are done at the right mileage and/or time and in my case earlier than recommended...maybe my personal paranoia! Motor factors I use are EK Brakes and Unipart; I usually get a good discount.

I'll just finish with a warning over the placebo effect of paying for premium products... you pay more, so you expect more, and fool yourself into thinking your car is running better.

Never been worried myself, Just go where its cheapest or where I can get club card points :)

Sounds like that quoted source is American?? There's a list of refineries in the UK on Wikipedia, along with the companies that operate them. I understand supermarkets source fuel from the cheapest supplier available, at a guess I'd say Shell/BP are going to be getting fuel from whatever subsidiary or sister company they use these days for refining their fuel.

There have been documented cases of contaminated supermarket fuel in the UK, I seem to recall Tesco destroyed a large number of cars a few years back through silicone contamination... This wasn't spread out to other suppliers as far as I'm aware, so would suggest that everyone isn't just filling their tankers up from one tap, as it were.

In case i sound like I'm laying in to supermarket fuel, I'm not. I run my workhorse on Sainsburys petrol, and everything else on Sainsbury's super unleaded bar the Prelude which gets V-power.

Ran on Sainsbury's regular unleaded for ages, no problems. Started using their super, no problems. Shell garage opens 5 minutes from my work and now it's easier to fill there. I figure for the extra £4-£5 a tank it's worth it as I have a club card and I know the car feels better with V-Power in it, a little more pep.

But no problems with Saisbury's fuel at all. It's a great way to rack up the Nectar Points which helps out greatly near the end of the month and the food shop ;) .

Edit: Car did feel less good the one time I filled at Asda :unsure: .

Edit: Car did feel less good the one time I filled at Asda :unsure: .

My Mk2 Golf ran like a bag of spanners when I filled it with petrol at Texaco once :lol: to be fair the ignition timing was set on a tank of V-Power though.

I use Sainsbury's super unleaded too, unfortunately I don't have any cars that are meant to run on under 97 octane petrol :lol: I did use V-Power before the Shell in Peacehaven became a BP station :(

Can't speak from my personal experience, but my parents have run motors on supermarket petrol for as long as I can remember. I've never known them to have to change a fuel filter on a car (whether they should have is a different story).

One thing I'd like to see is a comparison of different brands of petrol. You say that different brands may have different concentrations of additives, how does that affect efficiency? I expect that it's probably been done to death, but I haven't seen it anywhere. Perhaps I'm not reading the right websites.

This subject is almost as talked about which is the best oil for a car LOL, I've had lots of experience in this opinion topic and I have friends that work at the refinery in Kingsbury, Warwickshire, most names we all recognise are supplied from there. However' can't speak for all supermarket brands but one always crops up with friends or even colleagues as the car not liking this fuel and its marketed as fuel and not petrol, its bi-product with chemicals added to give the property's of petrol "already confirmed this" these cheaper products are only regulated by emission output only and it doesn't have to be safe to use in your engine either :eek:
Anyway I've done my own research and diesels aside, its seems to be the larger displacement petrol engines 2.0 or above that suffer the most loss in terms of not using a premium fuel, the Lexus boys swear by shell 95 or V-Power over any other and countless others agree. Me personally I have just switched from shell 95 over to Esso premium as it was making bold claims on TV :huh: and I have to say the MPG hasn't suffered :p actually a few gains :D so I've noticed the difference :) and it not just in my V6 Accord either a few customers motors took the plunge to Esso and have gained...

The old saying "you get what you pay for"

I'd use supermarket petrol but not diesel. Tesco diesel DEFINITELY made 2 different cars of mine run badly on a few completely separate occasions.
Also, I believe Shell VPD is still the only diesel to contain GTL.

What's GTL?

Gas To Liquid. Have a read up on GTL fuel trials, Mercedes did one some time ago with 0%, 50/50 and 100% GTL and the results are quite shocking! I think Shell only use like 2% or something but still it's more than anyone else (unless that's changed in the last couple of years, I haven't looked at it for a while).

Shocking good or shocking bad?

Shocking good! huge reductions in emissions for one thing. Some pictures I saw of valves and other internals that were spotless compared to the 'normal' diesel run engine. Not much is said about performance or MPG as far as I remember - I might try to find some more up to date info on it later.

Having had Diesel cars for many years and using various supermarket diesels, because like most other drivers it's a cheaper fuel, I done a little research after my last cars fuel system failed. The fuel pump bearing collapsed sending metallic parts into the injectors, destroying them, which resulted in a complete fuel system having to be installed, at a heavy price tag. According to a couple of sources, one being the garage it was repaired at, and another via the internet, supermarket fuels do not have the same additives which in turn does not lubricate the fuel system to the same degree as more expensive fuels and this could be a probable explanation why the fuel pump bearing failed. I wasn't the first car they had repaired with this fault and one of the first(ish) questions they asked was where did I fill up. All fuels must meet a minimum quality standard but be within a certain band of octane. Supermarkets buy their petrol from the majors such as Shell and Esso BUT they don't have the same additives, and it's these additives that lubricate your fuel system. It is the additives that differentiate between good and not quite so good quality therefore it is quite concievable that you will find a difference in performance depending on which brand of fuel you buy. I only now ever use Shell V Power Nitro. Currently I have a 2 year old Mercedes C class and looked at a study done by Mercedes using standard diesel and higher grade diesel, and whilst the higher grade is on average 35p per gallon dearer ( or just under £5 per tank ) I tried the same test and using standard shell diesel against v power nitro, I got just over 50 extra miles to a tank with v power nitro, driving on the same roads and under the same conditions, as I wanted an accurate result as possible. Those 50 miles justified the extra cost of the higher grade fuel. I suspect the same or similar results would be found using supermarket fuels but can't be certain as I am not prepared to put supermarket diesel into my Merc. I am not in any way saying Supermarkets sell inferior products as they clearly meet the minimum legal requirements, and I agree that they fulfil a role needed by the consumer, but I believe you get what you pay for, and using a higher grade fuel, whether Shell V Power nitro or BP Ultimate is probably no more expensive given the extra benefits you receive in performance.

Firstly, welcome to TA Garry.

I doubt that using supermarket fuel caused your fuel pump to fail. But - if there's any real (i.e. non-anecdotal) evidence for this - why don't you claim compensation from the fuel supplier? Surely there would be many other 'victims'?

You're not the first to mention getting more miles from a tank of 'premium' fuel. But how exactly do owners know how many miles you get from each tankful of fuel, with any accuracy? And how can they be sure that the driving conditions were directly comparable? As you might tell, I'm a fan of cheap fuels, the cheaper the better!

The problem tesco and asda had was the suppliers had got their additives mixed up . Silicone is added to diesel as an anti foaming agent but when silicone ends up in a petrol engine it causes all sorts of merry hell . I think what happened as far as I can tell is they had put a measured shot of silicone into their diesel storage tanks at the depot in anticipation of diesel being pumped into them .. but petrol got pumped in ... And then it went to Tesco and Asda ... and then it went in cars .. and then lambda sensors and things got all angry .

Having had Diesel cars for many years and using various supermarket diesels, because like most other drivers it's a cheaper fuel, I done a little research after my last cars fuel system failed. The fuel pump bearing collapsed sending metallic parts into the injectors, destroying them, which resulted in a complete fuel system having to be installed, at a heavy price tag. According to a couple of sources, one being the garage it was repaired at, and another via the internet, supermarket fuels do not have the same additives which in turn does not lubricate the fuel system to the same degree as more expensive fuels and this could be a probable explanation why the fuel pump bearing failed. I wasn't the first car they had repaired with this fault and one of the first(ish) questions they asked was where did I fill up. All fuels must meet a minimum quality standard but be within a certain band of octane. Supermarkets buy their petrol from the majors such as Shell and Esso BUT they don't have the same additives, and it's these additives that lubricate your fuel system. It is the additives that differentiate between good and not quite so good quality therefore it is quite concievable that you will find a difference in performance depending on which brand of fuel you buy. I only now ever use Shell V Power Nitro. Currently I have a 2 year old Mercedes C class and looked at a study done by Mercedes using standard diesel and higher grade diesel, and whilst the higher grade is on average 35p per gallon dearer ( or just under £5 per tank ) I tried the same test and using standard shell diesel against v power nitro, I got just over 50 extra miles to a tank with v power nitro, driving on the same roads and under the same conditions, as I wanted an accurate result as possible. Those 50 miles justified the extra cost of the higher grade fuel. I suspect the same or similar results would be found using supermarket fuels but can't be certain as I am not prepared to put supermarket diesel into my Merc. I am not in any way saying Supermarkets sell inferior products as they clearly meet the minimum legal requirements, and I agree that they fulfil a role needed by the consumer, but I believe you get what you pay for, and using a higher grade fuel, whether Shell V Power nitro or BP Ultimate is probably no more expensive given the extra benefits you receive in performance.

I have to agree simply because my routine is very similar each week, school run and collect parts then workshop and on supermarket brands I get almost 100 miles less on a full tank :mad: over premium petrol so its decided for me :p

I have to agree simply because my routine is very similar each week, school run and collect parts then workshop and on supermarket brands I get almost 100 miles less on a full tank :mad: over premium petrol so its decided for me :p
But surely your comparison there is between premium and non-premium fuels, not supermarket fuels?

Just to add iv only ever used Tesco Momenton 99 Ron and love the stuff.

I use whatever I need, when I need it.

I try to use Sainsbury's purely for the Nectar points, when I do I use their super, but I've never really noticed any difference between that and Jet, Esso, BP or Shell.

I've only ever got diesel from Tesco on 3 occasions, twice in the Mitsubishi Delica and once in the Accord - I know it's another anecdotal "cool story" but on all 3 occasions the car ran like a dog on that tank, and took until halfway through the following tank (of Shell VPD) to get back to normal. I've heard the same story from 2 people at work - this is only with our local Tesco store though so can't comment generally.
I always buy V-Power now, haven't used anything else for about 2 years. No idea if I get better economy or not.

Can't speak from my personal experience, but my parents have run motors on supermarket petrol for as long as I can remember. I've never known them to have to change a fuel filter on a car (whether they should have is a different story).

One thing I'd like to see is a comparison of different brands of petrol. You say that different brands may have different concentrations of additives, how does that affect efficiency? I expect that it's probably been done to death, but I haven't seen it anywhere. Perhaps I'm not reading the right websites.

Sorry to quote an old post but thought it was relevant :lol: Some of the additives are friction modifiers and that will have big impact on fuel economy in bigger engines which will be generating more heat than smaller ones to start with :rolleyes:

I mostly use BP as it's close by and we only have three local petrol stations, the other is Texaco which I only use as last resort and I find their fuel makes my car run a bit sluggish for whatever reason, and the other is Shell which is a bit more away than the others and is always busy so never go their. I use Sainsburys when I'm there shopping as the fuel is cheaper and I can collect nectar points as I do with BP. As for the actual fuel been using 95ron regular unleaded until my last fill up where I have switched to BP Ultimate to see what kind of difference it makes.

I did accidentaly fill the transit up with Super dieseasel at shell once , thought I was doing well when I saw 120 quid coming round on the counter :D . These new 140hp transits have quite the traditional rattle to them and the expensive stuff did make it sound like it had been duvet wrapped .

I did the self same thing with my VW LT35, it had no impact on the engine running, performance or MPG, but it did get me a bollocking off the boss :D