What's new

Temperature gauge

cstew

Members
Reaction score
Car
02 Accord VTEC Sport
All the time I've had my car, I've noticed that the temp gauge doesn't get much over a quarter. Using torque OBD reader, I can see that the temperature actually gets up to around 90 degrees, and the fan seems to kick in. My question is, is it likely to be the sender or the gauge itself that is faulty, is this a common or known problem with accords?

That is the normal position for the temperature gauge. The temperature that you are reading in the OBD is also quite normal, nothing to be worried about B)

Here is how mine gets when it reaches running temperature, after that, if all goes well, it doesn't move

Lol, had to look twice then thought you were doin 120mph!

mine also shows the same.... even if obd reader shows over 110C, gauge needle shows the same value(below middle). I believe this gauge is useless after all...or at least it shows that thermostat is closed ant engine is heating... nothing more.

ps. skhell: where are you turning on such speed :lol:

ps. skhell: where are you turning on such speed :lol:

Yeah, was going to make a 90º turn :ph34r:
LOL, I guess was overtaking some guy, or maybe I just hit the knob without wanting to do it B)

Actually a couple of months ago, my thermostat went bad, reaching temperatures of 110ºC using the OBD socket. At that time, the temperature was well over the middle section, almost at 3/4, so I guess it does work.

I guess its designed to be stable between 80º and 90º, and after that it starts to rise.

Hey peeps, as Pedro has said, (and posted in his pic) the temp gauge should never go any higher than this.

Hi guys.
Sorry to resurrect an old post (signs I used the search function eh).

I have a 2002 Accord 2.0 Auto. Reading this thread, I guess it's normal for the temp gauge to be just under half. What scares me is the fan that is almost always on, and the terrible fuel consumption. This car (it's actually my wife's) drinks a hell of a lot more than my BMW 325i Tourer.

Is there a reason why the cooling fan always comes on? I have serviced it regularly with good oil from Opie. I also changed the coolant and thermostat. No joy.

Any help much appreciated.

J

FunkMasterJay said:
Hi guys.
Sorry to resurrect an old post (signs I used the search function eh).

I have a 2002 Accord 2.0 Auto. Reading this thread, I guess it's normal for the temp gauge to be just under half. What scares me is the fan that is almost always on, and the terrible fuel consumption. This car (it's actually my wife's) drinks a hell of a lot more than my BMW 325i Tourer.

Is there a reason why the cooling fan always comes on? I have serviced it regularly with good oil from Opie. I also changed the coolant and thermostat. No joy.

Any help much appreciated.

J
For a while ago, I have been trying to diagnose some pinging/knocking noise that my engine does. At the moment I suspect it's due to carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. I have read alot about this topic,and many says that carbon deposits causes both a higher fuel consumption and an engine that runs hotter and harder to cool.

Coincidence(or not) my mileage is also way to high. Besides that I also suspect that the engine fan turns on too many times....

I am about to test BG 44K or Archoil AR6400 to clean the carbon deposits, which seems to be the best carbon deposit cleaners, but haven't the chance to try them out...

Could be related or not, don't know...