What's new

That damm rust!

Steve_mechanic

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Honda Accord EX
Hi guys/gals was just wondering if any of you have had the same problem, I have an executive cn1 registered March 2008 in the uk, I imported it to Ireland June 2013 and I'm getting rust that's starting to appear on the roof where the roof meets the windscreen, on removal of the strip across the screen I can see where the strip has cut into the paint and down to steel, have inquired to Honda Ireland about the similar problem the 2006 fk civics had which I was told that the accord never had this problem, while servicing a couple of these cars I have noticed the same problem on some of them. Just to point out my car has an original Honda windscreen, still this dosent mean it wasn't changed and fitted incorrectly causing the problem!
Would love to know if anyone has had the same problem, if so, what caused it/ cured it! Thanks

have an 05 and don't have this problem. Don't they carry a corrosion warranty?

Nether heard this on the Accord only civics and honda put an extended warrenty on this

^ that's an 8th gen Accord, Stephens got a 7th gen. Mine's a 7th gen and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary??

Mr Honda said:
^ that's an 8th gen Accord, Stephens got a 7th gen. Mine's a 7th gen and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary??
yeah I know, but he finished his initial post with

"Just to point out my car has an original Honda windscreen, still this dosent mean it wasn't changed and fitted incorrectly causing the problem!
Would love to know if anyone has had the same problem, if so, what caused it/ cured it! Thanks "

I remembered the thread which is somewhat similar problem, and posted the link for reference

Mine had a replacement screen and there was some surface rust, which was from a previously replaced screen. Also the car has a couple of dents where the screen meets the roof which may allow for water ingress. The rust was only visible once the screen was removed though so I was none the wiser until then.

As I did note it's an original Honda screen, it still has the airbag sticker on the passenger side top corner, it dosent look like the screen was ever changed so it's beyond me as to why it rusting, the car was originally sold in Edinburgh I think, and I'm based on the west coast of Ireland 30 miles from the sea! I used to work for Honda, motor mechanic, hence the username, Hondas never gave much trouble, bought the wife a 02 jazz, great car, I drove a 2nd gen integra xsi, 1.6 VTEC (b16a) loved that car, I liked the 7th gen accord diesel, so I sold the integra and bought the accord June last year, since then I have just had headaches, 4 wheels corroded, got secondhand ones, blutooth failed, still not fixed, ****ed if I'm paying €1916+ vat @23% for module, the rust on roof, ant to top it off the exhaust manifold has cracked, which I'm trying to get a claim on, its up to Honda Europe to give the go ahead, the car has 91k miles which is genuine cause I have the mot prints from the uk and a full Honda service history!! It's sad because Ive gotten to the point where I don't even want to clean the car anymore!! It's black with black leather and sat nav!

I guess you live close to Galway, or Cliff of Moher then.

My 06 executive also has the problem of the HFT, and so as some other members. You better disconnect it from the Sat Nav, because the faulty unit would drain the battery.
Apparently the corrosion on alloy wheels and cracked exhaust manifold are the common problems.

My early 2005 had signs of corrosion in the same area. More bubbling, rusting from under the paint if that helps.

As said this is normally a civic prole. That said if paint is damaged rust will allways follow

Well I had the car in with my local Honda dealer (which I may add are new to Honda and their head mechanic was a baker who just got a job in a garage!!) any who the rust issue is a no go, they looked at the exhaust manifold and said that it was leaking, (I could have told them exactly where) it should be covered under warranty, but it will take two weeks before they know, putting the request into Honda and have to wait for the reply!! TWO WEEKS!!! What in wondering is that is there any other issues that are covered under extended warranty that I don't know about? I.e timing chain!!

No the roof skin where it meets the windscreen under the rubber trim that sit on top of the windscreen. The trim has cut into paint and down to the steel causing the rust

Sorry my mistake I thought you were talking about the rust on my roof, you mean the actual sunroof? !!

I remember reading about 8th gen's that had sunroof trouble.

Hard luck on the rust thing Stephen, did they say why it wasn't covered?

I thought there was a 10 year corrosion warranty with Honda, or maybe that's structural, now that I think of it??