What's new

Throttle Position Sensor replacement icdti '07

Monks

Admin / Co-Founder
Reaction score
Car
-
Guys I cant take credit for this one as Al (Ken Hom) did this diy and asked me to post it up.

Great work Al and keep the DIY's coming

don’t know whether anyone may be able to make use of this thread hope it helps....

Shortly after purchasing "Mr Chow" from Andy (Monks) edit Monks no warranty was provided or implied at point of purchase lol :blush: I experienced a VSA warning light and subsequent engine cut out (thankfully on one of Maldon’s country lanes and not at any great speed!) After managing to restart the engine and nursing her back the 70+ miles home I feared that it may well be the dreaded curse of the VSA unit - but found this to have been replaced under warranty by Andy not long ago...unsure of any other probs and with the engine block light still on I deduced the following...

I took the car to the crown garage - soham, Suffolk near to Ely for a diagnostic and they were very helpful in practise and didn’t even charge me to plug her in and diagnose! So kudos to them! (Incidentally speak to Matt or Steve if you need to contact very in the know blokes).

They rightly diagnosed the tps at fault and quoted a £215 quid plus vat figure for the part and a further £65 quid to fit it! The time to fit the part on the job sheet came to 0.20 - i.e. 20 mins, so rightfully appalled at this I decided to give Honda a miss and have a go myself. Hopefully the following will be of use to anyone having the same problem or experiencing the same issues any questions please ask!

(Incidentally this part is not covered under warranty - I asked and was told it was a "perishable" - sure that only applied to things like brakes and tyres but anyhow...)

First picture is obviously the TPS (throttle position sensor). This threw up a VSA warning light and effectively stalled the car.

TPS1.jpg

The sensor itself - to my understanding continuously monitors - as you may think, the position of the throttle pedal and talks to the air/fuel mass sensor to maintain the right mixture - as with a petrol car. It is a mechanical set-up with a sensor attached and is not known to fail.

I managed to source a replacement part from a '05 car - which must incidentally only come from a diesel for a much more reasonable £46 posted which was tested prior to dispatch.

The picture shows the cowling/shroud over the TPS and relevant linkage.
TPS2.jpg

you will need a selection of the following tools to replace the sensor which comes as separate unit.

10mm, 14mm socket
ratchet (obviously :)
long extension bar for said ratchet
set of long nose pliers as per picture
open ended spanner - 14 mm (if memory serves)
a brew - preferably coffee but not mandatory
cheeky cigar or equiv. - (optional)
contact cleaner
Other half to come out in the cold to help start her up

Right! quick sip of the brew and on to removing the cover - three bolts all told - two easily accessible and one to rear which will require the extension

cowling removed you should see to the back of the unit (bulkhead) the linkage and sensor

TPS3.jpg

Next step is unclip the sensor - be careful as with all Honda clips irrespective of age they love to snap so go steady!

You’re then left with the throttle linkage itself to detach. Pull the throttle linkage to its maximum to release tension on the cable and remove by gently twisting - this should be easy enough to remove but three hands would be handy lol
TPS5.jpg

Now that has been released you will need to undo tension on the cable the other end, N.B there is an adjuster as shown in the pic for tension - it helped me to make a note of how many threads this was wound to for reassembly - although is purely mechanical and will not affect the sensor, I wanted to keep this a simple as possible.

Using an open ended spanner release the nut and the whole mechanism should now be free to unbolt.
TPS6.jpg

Behind the sensor - following the wire you will see a black clip to remove do that now with the long nose pliers - being careful not to damage the clip as you will need to replace later.

TPS4.jpg

You will now need to also remove the orange clip off the main pipework and it’s a bugger to get to but don’t damage it as it needs to be reattached later.

TPS7.jpg

You now need to access the unit from beneath the retaining plate held on as shown with a couple more bolts remove those now and you should be able to now remove the unit and turn upside down.

mrchowanddec-jan2012567.jpg

mrchowanddec-jan2012569.jpg

mrchowanddec-jan2012570.jpg

There will be a further 3 captive nuts to remove under the 3 larger ones securing the plate - n.b you will not be able to access these without removal of the plate to save time so just do it - trust me, I tried lol - with the ratchet fully remove the unit from the plate and undo other nuts accordingly.

Replace the new unit in reverse order and it should now be fairly straight forward having done the disassembly. Remember the orange and black clip for the pipework, and when it comes to the tension of the throttle cable having made a mental note of its position there should be no difference in "response" from the pedal side.

When reassembled - but before replacing the cowling, get a begrudging other half or mate to sit inside and start the engine. Let her tick over and check for any lights - or hopefully lack of after diagnostic is done by the ecu.

Being aware that the engine will probably be cold at this point don’t boot her but accelerate to normal running speed in neutral up to 2k or so as if to change gear and ask to check if any lights come on again. The system should have reset itself as a matter of course.

Whilst they are doing this you will be able to ascertain that the linkage is correctly reassembled and that when the pedal is in the "open position" the linkage moves with it.

When happy ensure all bolts are tightened correctly and replace cowling.

If like me your lucky enough to have a bit of a drive to run her up and down a couple times then do so before you go on open road to ensure all is now well - just me being **** I guess but for peace of mind...

That’s it and you’ve now saved a princely sum and like me learnt a bit too!

Hope this helps any probs give me a shout cheers Al :)

Bit of advice if people get the TPS fault code before you go ahead and replace the unit. First remove the cable and give the contacts a good clean and then refit this will often cure the problem.

Another great DIY..

And agree with Andy, this isn't a part I've seen fail before on the Accord - did you try cleaning the contacts Al?

Nice write up! Pics are excellent. Ken post summut in here and get some pointage ;).

well done cheers for an excellant write up and pics even though I've not had this problem (touching wood as I type) it's interesting to read

This DIY really helped me out - thanks very much for putting it up!

I'd been suffering with the throttle position sensor problem sending the car into limp mode for quite a while. It started at about 150,000 miles, the contact cleaner remedy worked for about 12 months or so the first couple of times, but when the car hit 196,000 miles the contact cleaner remedy didn't work and after having a look around the forums it seemed like a replacement of the throttle position sensor was the only way to solve the problem.

I ordered the part from Lings (breakeryard parts weren't coming in much cheaper than a new part so wasn't really worth going down the used part route) and fitting it turned out to be really easy thanks to the DIY above. And thankfully the problem has completely gone, so happy days!

For anyone else doing the repair, I found that removing the retaining plate that the TPS sits on made it much easier to access the orange and black plastic clips. And in terms of sockets and spanners, all you need is a 10mm socket and it's a 12mm open-ended spanner for the nut on the throttle cable.

Cheers,

Rory

P2138 and P1248 faults

hey guys,
I got the same issue. I have cleaned the cables which used to help a little bit. But Then the codes come back. I get the problem in the summer when it’s hot out. I think maybe I need to replace the wires.
Is there a sensor in the cabin under my connected to The peddle as wel? Been told there could be.

Also My main power cable under the bonnetis quite old and has rusted so I cut the ends off and had to solder a new piece of wire to it so I can connect it to the battery. When I was doing so I found the solder wouldn’t connect to the old wire easily due to a light rust powder in it. (Surface rust) my voltage in the car goes up and down between 14.5 to 12.5 volts. I have after market head until which displays this. My lights sometimes flicker as a result but not too often since I added that new cable end. Could this also be causing the codes to trigger?

Check and clean all earth points, use plumbers flux after sanding off corrosion as much as you can.

Then clean off with distilled water. and then vaseline.