What's new

Tips For a Better Sounding 2.2 i-CDTI

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey guys,

Just looking for ways I could improve how the diesel accord sounds. I am likely to be fitting a Type-S body which has cutouts for a dual exhaust, although id be wary of fitting a larger exhaust on this for multiple reasons.
One being that it will possibly make it sound like a tractor, the other being that I could reduce back pressure reducing the effectiveness and possibly increase wear on my turbo?

So basically what ways are possible to just make it sound a bit nicer?

My old one now owned by Dev and living in Malta sounds the nuts.

Custom cat back twin exit by Zorstec

Custom rear silencers were pretty small

Dealer kept thinking it was 2.4 type s petrol

Yep mine was also done by Zorstec with hand built ****lers to achieve the sound I wanted. Just do a catback and don't remove the cats whatever you do.

Lee, Fahad, do you happen to remember the cost for the exhaust, and did it look good condensing on cold mornings? Thanks lads

Something around the £500 mark

Ta, I did visit the website, and guessed it would about that figure. Thanks again.

F6HAD said:
Yep mine was also done by Zorstec with hand built ****lers to achieve the sound I wanted. Just do a catback and don't remove the cats whatever you do.
Why not remove cat? Diesels act differently with them removed?

I have heard a few nice 'whoosh' sounding accord diesels on youtube :)

Yes modern diesels use variable vane turbochargers that are designed to work with a specific volume of back pressure. Derestricting it will cause it to overspool and eventually weaken the turbo. You won't really gain any power benefit most of the time. They also smoke and stink with cats removed.

F6HAD said:
Yes modern diesels use variable vane turbochargers that are designed to work with a specific volume of back pressure. Derestricting it will cause it to overspool and eventually weaken the turbo. You won't really gain any power benefit most of the time. They also smoke and stink with cats removed.
I have just bought my 3rd Accord and it's a diesel. Would sports cats not be an option? I'm looking to get nice 'whoosh' sounds from it! BOV's are a no no so exhaust only option to get nice sounds!

just a question as a lots of people are asking to remove the cat, if you remove the cat and putting a smaller pipe will it still be enough back pressure since there will be a restriction?

If they have x2 cats on them, taking x1 off would surely be ok?

I'm planning a twin exit ****ler system on mine. Sure that would help the situation (albeit it's at rear of car)

Alot of folk tend to moan at people who muck about with diesel exhausts but some of us want to have a 'cool' sounding car, not necessarily for power gains :)

Just do a catback mate, leave the cats in there

Yeah, once I get my wheels sorted the next mod is a custom cat back twin exit system.

I have been looking into universal BOV's but no-one seems to have fitted any. Research on this site has a very good explanation from Relic, but no final outcome.

Basically I'm looking for a cool sounding car regardless if I loose a few bhp's in the process!

Sound is more important to me that racing everyone, after all, it's me that drives it every day and would like a nice sounding car to make the journey better.

Is there any info to where I can mount a universal BOV or some 'tweek' I can do to make it sound better? My universal air filter I fitted has a nice sucking sound between 1500 and 2500rpm :)

**edit**

Or will the cat back system give me the 'woosh' sound I crave?!

Have you considered fitting a sound emulator like the sound aktor system in vw's? It would mean being able to keep the car bone stock and I can imagine you'd be the first person to have one !

If it would fit

I've never known anyone to fit a bov to these. These cars have a vnt turbo so there isn't any wastgegate

Andyjdmteg said:
Have you considered fitting a sound emulator like the sound aktor system in vw's? It would mean being able to keep the car bone stock and I can imagine you'd be the first person to have one !

If it would fit

Not a chance mate. Fake foolery

F6HAD said:
I've never known anyone to fit a bov to these. These cars have a vnt turbo so there isn't any wastgegate
There's a thread that says it can be done but then the thread went into the realms of 'why' and 'power loss' so the question never got answers to how it's done.

Burbleboy said:
My universal air filter I fitted has a nice sucking sound between 1500 and 2500rpm :)
!
I'm also very keen to get my weasel sounding a bit nicer. What universal filter did you get mate? I'm after one myself. What size did you get?

I now have a Pipercross panel filter as i lost abit of power.

I liked the sound but not worth the power loss for my stage 2 remap.

Was a universal filter i had fitted. 3" iirc

Burbleboy said:
I now have a Pipercross panel filter as i lost abit of power.

I liked the sound but not worth the power loss for my stage 2 remap.

Was a universal filter i had fitted. 3" iirc
My engine is completely stock at the mo. Gonna get the stage 1 soon but wanna quick fix for a bit more noise in the mean time. Would you recommend the universal filter? Did you get a branded one. Ie k&n or just a £10 eBay job

Amen1633 said:
My engine is completely stock at the mo. Gonna get the stage 1 soon but wanna quick fix for a bit more noise in the mean time. Would you recommend the universal filter? Did you get a branded one. Ie k&n or just a £10 eBay job
£15 universal ebay job mate. 3" neck size or 76mm (i checked)