What's new

Torn between petrol and diesel

I attribute my exhaust rusting off at 75K to too many short journeys. Moisture etc. Generally though, short journeys around town are bad. Lots of tight bends, lots of pot holes, lots of cold running, lots of gear changes. It just knackers cars. I reckon 50% of my driving is short town trips. The car is feeling a bit tired at the moment. A few rattles, knocks and I think a wheel bearing's on the way out too. If I did more motorway cruising, I doubt I'd have had some of the issues I've had :( .

whats bore wash..?

short journeys are bad i think we can all agree, petrol or diesel.

I have done short trips on mine all the time here in stirling, nothing the worse apart from superb mpg. :rolleyes:

long runs are a whole different ball game, especially on (empty) winding rural roads.

Depends on what you guys call a short trip its 10 miles to work and 12 miles from my old girl gets up to temp in about 3 miles in traffic tho the traffics not that heavy so shes at temp for most of it and shes on 150k with no real problems tho i think im going to have to have a look at that chain at some point.

You don't need to run into the red on the fuel gauge to get 400 from the K24 providing conditions are right. As for 550... Surely that's not from a K24 :huh:

No, ALT's got an i-CTDi. But they both said they do x miles to a tank, so they must be running the tank to empty? Otherwise they're picking an arbitrary point on the gauge at which to take the measurement - I could say I do 200 miles to a tank but I fill mine up when it gets to 'about' half empty, what use is that information?
I have no idea how many miles I do on a tank, I do know my car does 38MPG when I'm doing 3 mile journeys in traffic and with 11 sets of traffic lights, and that goes up to 58MPG on a 60 mile journey on a clear motorway.

i dont let my car run out, when the light is on its good for about 30/40 miles give or take if you do decide to run it down.

but 400 miles is easily done on a k24 on long trips, no light on.

nope, that would be the diesels you are thinking of, along with every second owner having a problem of some sort on this website.

whats a breakdown recovery vehicle btw?

I tend to run mine till the light comes on and that 550 miles to a tank is just the work run which is a few miles of duel carriageway and the rest is driving across cheltenham in traffic and i regularly get 550 to a tank.

So how does that 550 MPT compare to other cars?

In a diesel you would expect that much milage, running it till the light goes on is bad practice.

put more strain on the fuel pump and the risk of sucking up s<>$ into the car.

Well im a time served mechanic of 30 years and ive worked on 1000's of diesels running the thing till the light comes on for just a few miles isnt going to do that much harm they do have a filter fitted and thats what its for. As for the MPT it depends what your compairing it to if its my out going vectra 2.0L sri on the same journey then its pretty good and i also said that dont drive it like miss daisy.

Why do so many people believe that running the tank low will cause crud to be sucked into the engine? The fuel is always drawn off the bottom of the tank, so crud doesn't actually gather there.

It's a bit of a myth i used to work for a big fleet rental company ive been out to loads of breakdowns where people have run out of fuel and only a handful of times have i ever had to clean dirt out of the tank but really its best not to run so low that you do run out.

As for the MPT it depends what your compairing it to if its my out going vectra 2.0L sri on the same journey then it pretty good and i also said that dont drive it like miss daisy.

I just don't understand how you compare them. I had a 125 scooter that would do about 100 MPT, so does that mean it's worse on economy than the i-CTDi? I know it did over 100MPG which to me seems like a much better way of comparing fuel economy. I'm just trying to understand as loads of people seem to use MPT and it goes over my head.

well you need to check the size of the tank for a start and i dont think there is much in it from the vectra to the honda put it this way if i put £45 petrol from empty in my vectra if it lasted me a week i was lucky put £45 diesel in the honda from empty id get 2 weeks easy to and from work as for your 125 scooter you need to work out how many scooter tanks it would be to fill your honda tank and work it out that way.
hope that help.

this is getting ridiculous, lads

why are we comparing 125cc scooters to accords?

:lol: For Eric to think this has got ridiculous, it must be seriously ridiculous :p .

I'm half way through a 14 day stint at work without a day off and I've been a bit grumpy and down in the dumps at work as I'm on my knees somewhat. Every time I check in to TA though, this thread cheers me right up :D . It's served it purpose and posed great arguments for both petrol and diesels and now it's just a right laugh. I love it. TA spirit FTW.

should i trade for a vespa..

decisions, decisions...!

vespa-girl.jpg

Vespa? I'd love one only my balance is very poor (I have problems putting sock and shoes on without falling over) so that's the Vespa outta the window. I'm buying something else for my early mid-life crisis, Volvo V70 R! Don't even want to think about the MPG out of that bad girl.

this is getting ridiculous, lads

why are we comparing 125cc scooters to accords?

Cos I don't understand why so many people use that stupid 'miles to a tank' measurement for their fuel economy - it means nothing, absolutely nothing to someone else with a different car. You have to go and read the specs on the tank size, drive the car for a few months to get an idea of where the light comes on the gauge, take an average of where the lights comes on over a few refills etc. etc.

So my scooter only did 100 MPT, which is less than the Accord which apparently does 550 MPT, yet mine only does 200 MPT cos I fill it up when the gauge is about half full. So my i-CTDi Accord is worse than someone elses because of when I fill it up, and my scooter which did 120 MPG is worse on fuel than the Accord?

Do you see my point? STOP using MPT as a measurement, work out your MPG and use that.

Cos I don't understand why so many people use that stupid 'miles to a tank' measurement for their fuel economy - it means nothing, absolutely nothing to someone else with a different car. You have to go and read the specs on the tank size, drive the car for a few months to get an idea of where the light comes on the gauge, take an average of where the lights comes on over a few refills etc. etc.

So my scooter only did 100 MPT, which is less than the Accord which apparently does 550 MPT, yet mine only does 200 MPT cos I fill it up when the gauge is about half full. So my i-CTDi Accord is worse than someone elses because of when I fill it up, and my scooter which did 120 MPG is worse on fuel than the Accord?

Do you see my point? STOP using MPT as a measurement, work out your MPG and use that.
+1
It does make more sense to use MPG as a normalised unit of comparison.

And then multiply by the tank volume if you really want to get a good estimate of how far the tank will take you. Doing it the other way round is meaningless.

Well get one then, as it'll certainly make you more attractive.

...but only to other men who also own scooters. :ph34r:

Are you suggesting only gays ride scooters? Cos I sold mine to a lesbian :lol:

Her girlfriend who dropped her off to collect it was on her R1. :eek:

That scooter really was a terrible thing, even for a 125 it only just about did 60 on a good day, and I thought it was going to vibrate itself apart.

Are you suggesting only gays ride scooters? Cos I sold mine to a lesbian :lol:

Her girlfriend who dropped her off to collect it was on her R1. :eek:

That scooter really was a terrible thing, even for a 125 it only just about did 60 on a good day, and I thought it was going to vibrate itself apart.
Just because she rejected your advances doesn't make her a lesbian. I was going to make a joke about the the vibrations making it more desirable, but I thought better of it.

I do hope these last few posts are helping undecided buyers whether to get a petrol or diesel Accord.

I do hope these last few posts are helping undecided buyers whether to get a petrol or diesel Accord.

They're most informative Jon :lol:

Vespa? I'd love one only my balance is very poor (I have problems putting sock and shoes on without falling over) so that's the Vespa outta the window. I'm buying something else for my early mid-life crisis, Volvo V70 R! Don't even want to think about the MPG out of that bad girl.

Honda Accord K24s are known to favour people with vertigo and/or Equilibrium problems*.

You have such a good time driving one you are none the wiser of your condition in the first place.

* not clinically proven