What's new

Torn between petrol and diesel

Well we were talking about diesel v petrol most people quote miles per tank. I was trying to give an account of my trip to and from work over a few years with both petrol and diesel. What i was trying to point out cuz most people seem to run the diesel accord down saying things like they are no good on short runs they are only worth buying if you do 15k to 20k a year. Thats just not true i dont do any where near that sort of milage and for years i was a petrol only man but going from my petrol to diesel was a real eye opener in the fact that my fuel return hasnt just gone up a bit it has in fact doubled. I used my mums accord k24 doing that same trip for a few weeks and i just couldnt aford to use it. :rolleyes:

K24s are not that expensive to run, from comments here you would think they had the running costs of this behmeoth., the mpg is marginally worse than the 2 litre but the smiles per gallon is alot greater.

3568-01.jpg

At the end of the day, we're arguing/discussing a preference. We'll have different stand points and there's no concrete right/wrong. For one man 12K a year is petrol territory. For another man, it's Diesel territory. The K24 is a little thirsty, but if you're having a tight month, you can get 30+mpg with the right driving style. I've had tough months when I've crawled round below 2K most of the time. Got very favourable returns which my wallet appreciated. Other times I've enjoyed all the car has to offer ;) . That works for me and I imagine that works for Eric too ;) . But ALT's point is also very true. I drove a Diesel Golf before my Accord. Short journeys mostly, but got good MPG nonetheless and I'm sure it was cheaper to run than the equivalent petrol.

I guess as long as it gets you from A to B in a way you like and doesn't bankrupt you, it's all good :) .

As for the OP not sure which to go for. I think at least the first 2-3 of pages of this thread make some sensible suggestions based on user experience and the OP can use them to help make a decision. The rest is just a good on-topic laugh and I think a strong representation of how TA has some cracking members with a great sense of humour. It's proper funny, and like I said, it's cheering me up through a rotten couple of weeks at work and so I thank you guys for that :D .

^ yep! This one got me laughing out loud as well :lol:

aye, i think Stevo has it all summed up there and indeed where else can you get the mertis or diesel vs petrol with references of scooters, earth movers and mens ******s all in one go

as an educational tool TA would surely improve the UKs standing on the academic front. :lol:

You can never be sure they are women... :ph34r:

thats true, my girlfriend is thai, (no manly bits lol) and from visits over in asia i can pretty guarantee over 50% of guys in the uk could not tell a ladyboy from a...erm guy.

aye, i think Stevo has it all summed up there and indeed where else can you get the mertis or diesel vs petrol with references of scooters, earth movers and mens ******s all in one go

as an educational tool TA would surely improve the UKs standing on the academic front. :lol:

You forgot to add ladyboys to this Jason :lol:

LOL just bought my boy one of them earth movers for xmas its battery powered tho so think im safe :D

Up till a few years ago i had a 94 chevy camaro RS and went down to see my boy he lives with his mum in fareham as a treat thought id take the camaro so i drove from gloucester to fareham and back 200 mile round trip i had to fill the thing up 3 times and it cost me just under £200 well lets just say i never did that again :eek:

Honda Accord K24s are known to favour people with vertigo and/or Equilibrium problems*.

You have such a good time driving one you are none the wiser of your condition in the first place.

* not clinically proven

Lol, I don't have vertigo problems, although my equilibrium problems actually improve with alcohol consumption

well after some time away im now back and glad to see alot of info and good banter for for me to read through :)

bad couple of months with alot of travelling involved

step daughter needed a tumor removed after a misdiagnosis of being a lazy teenager and my partners mum died up in scotland within days of our last visit unfortunatly.
Ended up getting a run around temporarily with some of the money i had saved as needed a car quickly so we ended up with ,namely a 2004 toyota celica vvti ( rattle box lol but good on fuel :p ) and not a bad looking car and stunning condition :)

now , with all that happend and the travelling ive eaten well into any savings i had :(, lost alot of work also , but things are getting back to normal now :)

now selling the celica ( hopefully ) , ive been offerd from someone who works in the same yard where our office is near manchester airport -- a

I -CTDI SPORT 54 PLATE 2005 , BLACK , 5 SPEED , NEW CLUTCH AND FLY WHEEL FOR £1400
198k miles and 11 month mot, 4 month tax

another friend knows someone with a 2003 - 53 PLATE Accord VTEC Executive 2003 tourer , 2.4 service history and sat nav, cream leather , sat nav etc and can get that for £1200 as they are moving abroad and thats in cumbria, though looking at the pics not too sure about the wood effect :)
134 k miles, been told its realy clean
but tax and insurance :(

the 05 sport ictdi i know has been well looked after and serviced regularly buy the owner ( seen him servicing it on the ramps in there part of the yard a few times ) hes the second owner and mileage is motorway miles as like me he does alot of trips down south and visits devon where his family is every other month .
he also done the clutch and fly wheel himself 3 month ago roughly. only selling as he bought a l200 warrior , 10 plate so the honda is just sitiing in the workshop coverd over

now its way below what i wanted and was going to spend but ,, are these viable options or stick with the rattle box celica and save up a lil more

no one can give me a definate answer but advice is always welcome :)

dave

Main problems on the early diesels are timing chain rattles/failure and cracked exhaust manifolds.
Clutch and DMF can go on any car so if its been done that's a bonus.

If the diesel drives nice and isn't rattling its head off from the timing chain, and no fumes in the cabin then its probably a good buy.
I bought a diesel almost 2 years ago for 2k with only 120k on the clock but the clutch was slipping and a bit of timing chain rattle.
The clutch stopped slipping after a while, but the timing chain got gradually worse over time. It still did over 15k like that before it got written off.

If the diesel is quiet and you like it then go for it, but only you know what you really want.

at the age and milage of them cars you could be letting yourself in for more than you bargained for so better watch it.

Just looking for one to tide me over at the moment :)
may be 6 month

unsure as yet unfortunatly , just want the celica gone lol

possibly a diesel ,
carry alot of abseiling equipment and alot of town / city driving in the north west area

Then since my partners mum passed away were trying to get up near stranraer in scotland atlease every other month to see her dad so there is minimum 600 mile round trip

tbh buy a **** box for 6 months, something for 400quid and then get 'your car' after that is driven to the ground.

seems lunacy to spend a few grand on an accord for 6 months and take a hit on running costs.

Even if able to pick either up for around £1300 ish ?
fair enough high miles on the diesel and 130 k on the 2.4 petrol

the black one having new clutch n fly wheel and new mot. The other has 9 service stamps and just as clean

decisions lol..

Stop thinking about it and go and drive one then decide for yourself.
You've been told what to look for, just go with your eyes open and decide from there.

seems stupid tbh, even if you get a 7th gen at a cheap cheap price, chances are you will put far more money into it than you wished. Its not a corsa you are dealing with parts wise.

Indeed. These cars are nicer than your average car. Not excessive, but a little up-market. They're therefore bound to have some repair costs that are higher than average from time to time. Especially when you consider the electronic toys.

I have just come across this as its something I am going through now, I am falling down on the side of 2.4 but there are loads of the later 2.4 7th gens which are autos just struck me as odd, I want a manual so that does not really help me.

Don't worry mate. One will come up. They're out there, just bide your time or look a little further afield. The 2.4 manual is a cracking drive.

Cheers man, yeah mate of mine said to go for the 2.4 says its just a bit more eco with not having to push it so much as the 2.0 to keep speed. I am trawling the web hourly to see what comes up :)