What's new

Total engine cut out !

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
So last night i was driving down the street when the engine just cut out on my no warning light no bang or smoke it was just like it had stalled without any warning then wouldnt start back up till a couple of mins later, after that it was fine till later on it did the same for a brief two seconds and came back,as im abit of a newb here i was thinking it could ve a fuel blockage somewhere anybody have anymore ideas what it could be.

If it was the ignition switch wouldnt that stop the engine from turning over?? I know not an obvious one unless you where there lol just wondered if anybody has had the same problem cheers fella

If the engine is turning over, ie the starter motor is turning it but not starting it is either spark, fuel or air. Still not ruling out the ignition switch yet because they seem temperamental - in other words they don't just seem to fail absolutely, the seem to cause cutting out issues rather than specifically non starts (based on reports on the forum)

Another issue can seem to be the main relay which initialises the fuel pump. When you turn the key to position II(?) can you hear the fuel pump priming, coming from behind - a sort of hum/whirring sound for a few secs.