What's new

Upgrading the brakes on a 1.8 which to go for?

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
I know the 1.8 is know power house but i want to improve the stopping power as i know the car can handle very good in the corners but when it comes to stopping i just want them to be abit keener anybody any experience with any brands who can point me in the right direction

I think you will see a big difference if you converted to the twin pot calipers from the ATR. Otherwise I hear good stuff about some of EBC's pads, but no personal expirience of them myself, I changed my brake discs and brake pads with OEM ones not long ago and find them good enough, could be better though.

Is it a straight swop as mine are only 4 stud and ATR are five, what about braided brake lines would that improve them?? Cheers

Accord636 said:
Is it a straight swop as mine are only 4 stud and ATR are five, what about braided brake lines would that improve them?? Cheers
No you would need the ATR axels too. I'd just get decent quality discs and pads from EBC, can;t say I ever had stopping issues with my Accord and I have no idea what were on that.

I thought ATR calipers bolted straight on. Braided lines would improve performance.

exec said:
I thought ATR calipers bolted straight on. Braided lines would improve performance.
Calipers might do, what about the discs? Or do the standard 4 pot ones fit? If so then go for it I guess.

I would be interested in the outcome of this as well, I would like to upgrade the brakes on my accord 2002.

ATR discs are 300mm diameter by 28mm thick and the standards are 282mm and 25 thick so not much chance or the two mating nicely.

I had MTEC discs and pads on my CH7 before I upgraded to the DC5 calipers etc and they were great! Much better feel, cheap cost and they look amazing when you order the protective coating which you can get in black, silver or gold.

My advice though, don't go for drilled as there is always a possibility of cracks appearing between holes on steels discs that have been cut after production. Discs that have holes pre-cast are the good ones.

I went for grooved with the gold finish and they looked super sweet against my silver calipers. They are now on my Type-V still going strong! The mintex pads that come with them will wear out quick if you are hard on the brakes, but they are still good and can always be upgraded later. Do a search for your body style (mine was under accord ch7) and see what you think. :)

www.mtecbrakes.com/

I've heard nothing but good things about mintex, I was told once that they rarely suffer from heat fade?

Whatever is currently on my sport are shockingly bad, if I brake hard I can feel them start to loose grip if I'm braking for a good few seconds (70 to 30 sort of braking) but they are ok the rest of time. Did you have anything like that with the mtecs blueVTEC?

I did get brakefade when I took the car on trackdays with the mintex pads, but that was after a few HARD laps on standard 6G brakes, plus I had the H22 then so the car would be going much faster than a standard 6G thus meaning I would have to brake harder.

On the road though, they never faded and once I put in Ferodo DS pads, it was great and never faded. Frankly, mintex pads are purely a pad for daily driving, to expect to withstand multiple hard stops would be silly really ;).

So to summarise, yes they will fade when getting really beat up on a track. Elsewhere and on the road though, they should be great. :)

Well they sound better than green stuff, I was driving butter tub pass in an astra and I eventually had to pull up using the handbrake, they had cooked and it was only 4 miles or so.

Granted it was a one off but I won't go near them now.

May have to go with mintex for now.