What's new

VSA fault 83-01

Channel Hopper said:
I disagree. If the engine has been turned over after the first problem arose then you cannot do any further damage (unless the chain moves over more teeth). If there is no damage but the timing is out, then the cylinders should be showing roughly the same compression since the timing is the same on all, though the full number - 135 psi ? - will not be reached.

If one or more is significantly different to another then you know you need to take the head off.
I think you're right about the "back-fire" theory because to remove the tensioner, you compress it by turning the crankshaft backwards.

It's on the side between crankshaft-sprocket and exhaust-sprocket, see images

CM2_tensioner_1.jpg

CM2_tensioner_2.jpg

So if the engine runs backwards, the tensioner stops working, and the chain will jump past the inlet-sprocket. Nasty :ph34r:

But I think that Miah wants to reset the inlet-sprocket because there is the possibility that the valves are ok and you need the valve-timing correct to get max compression ?

Channel Hopper said:
I disagree. If the engine has been turned over after the first problem arose then you cannot do any further damage (unless the chain moves over more teeth). If there is no damage but the timing is out, then the cylinders should be showing roughly the same compression since the timing is the same on all, though the full number - 135 psi ? - will not be reached.

If one or more is significantly different to another then you know you need to take the head off.
I'm not concerned about doing further damage as such, but with the timing on the intake cam being so far off, and ***uming the tightness I'm feeling at TDC *is* the piston meeting the intake valves, it's doubtful I'll get any sensible leak down readings since the intake valves are partially open.

Correcting the timing means the valves should in theory be closed at TDC, so I can then do the leak down, and if it looks OK, do a compression test on the starter to corroborate the leak down results.

freddofrog said:
But I think that Miah wants to reset the inlet-sprocket because there is the possibility that the valves are ok and you need the valve-timing correct to get max compression ?
Not so much max, as any useful level of compression. It's doubtful from a quick reset that I'll get it spot on, plus with the stretched chain anyway it's never going to be A1, so I'm just trying to make it plausible.

Jon_G said:
Am I wrong in believing that the K-series are non-interference?
not sure myself

but I'm sure that I've seen figures somewhere for the tensioner on the diesel ?

freddofrog said:
not sure myself

but I'm sure that I've seen figures somewhere for the tensioner on the diesel ?
The ESM states 8mm for the much shorter oil pump chain, but no figure quoted for the diesel cam chain tensioner projection (which is odd when there's an inspection hatch!).

I've using all sorts of words to search in the ESM, tried each word on CN2 and CM2 but nothing comes up on the cam chain tensioners, and both have an inspection hatch. Bizarre.