What's new

VSA light won’t go out, module probably beyond repair !

Sun glasses Ron

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 diesel
Hello all, Ive fallen victim to the VSA light staying on continuously and after having it connected to a diagnostic found there is no signal from the ABS module and no fault codes can be read. We’ve removed the module and sent it to a repairer we’ve used on a previous Accord but on this occasion they say the unit can’t be saved, with little alternative to buying a second hand one I have a question.
Are they just plug and play or will it need to be programmed to work on a different car, I’d really appreciate any help and advice as we‘re completely stuck and don’t want to end up with a useless car ?

Thanks for the reply, so it's a simple swap of parts, fit and connect the correct part from another car and as long as that part is good it'll work ?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say 'simple' but yes.

There is a bolt under the module that needs small fingers and tools to undo plus moving some pipes out of the way.

I did mine some five years back.

Last edited:
Thanks again, my concern is if we buy a used part would it work on another car without having to do anything in order for the car to accept the part. If not and it's literally plug and play and bleed the system then brilliant, I just thought I'd ask before I started spending on a replacement.

(I'm currently reading the thread you quoted)

Last edited:
I think there has only ever been one design for the Accord.

As long as the seller confirms it is a functional unit then you should have no trouble.

Try and find a matching part number but generally speaking they are plug and play, no coding necessary. However sometimes a vsa neutralisation procedure does need to be carried out which can be done with a Honda diagnostic system, or many garage level systems.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve been told that a replacement part will need coding, please forgive my ignorance but is that the same process as I read in Freddo frogs thread and is it effectively this process in the video or is that a separate process ?

As said previously, Honda modules don’t require any coding.

Thanks again for the replies, connected it to a better diagnostic today and came back with the following codes.

27-1 Steering angle sensor
86-1 F-can malfunction (BUS-Off(Ecm/PCM))
104-1 Sensor cluste.

After a bit of searching it looks as though the 104 is a MAF sensor fault.
I‘m not entirely sure about the steering angle sensor if it’s in anyway related to the 86-1 code but we’ve arrived at the point where we’re probably going to get a used ABS/VSA module with as close numbers as we can and have it fitted.

Any further comments or suggestions would really be appreciated.

What year and model of Accord is it?

Looking at your original post what makes you think the module itself is faulty? Im ***uming you’ve checked your fuses and wiring to ensure no break in the communication line? One of your errors is a bus error..

To be honest you may have a point, we haven’t carried out any checks yet but the people who we sent the unit to have now said there was communication but it is beyond repair, they haven’t said why though ? After a further diagnostic check an additional code of 66-1 was discovered so we aren’t really any closer to a solution with each check discovering more or different codes ?

Ok if you’ve got 66-1 then yes the pressure sensors have failed and it’s goosed. You didn’t list that originally.

To be fair that code was only discovered on Monday. At least we know it's definitely replacement part time, thanks again for the helpful comments and suggestions, it really has been helping us.