What's new

Want to buy F20B6 engine for rebuild

stuartb said:
Final thought, I've been to a goodly number of race days at various tracks, they often have little stock car races in between the open wheel stuff and funnily enough, hand on heart, I've never seen a single accord or integra on a track, ever, it's just golfs, fiestas and maybe a civic (but even that's rare)

Is not like anyone can say that's a budget thing either, golfs are in the same price range, more or less, so why is that then?

I think accords and integras are (albeit sporty) really just road cars, they're not really racers are they. Or, if they are, what sort of series do they race in, touring cars? (dominated by bm / volvo / vauxhall / chrysler..) rally? (Dominated by citroen / ford / scoobies and mitsies)

Maybe I just go to all the wrong track days ;)

I dont mean to sound all negative about honda, why would I have one myself otherwise? not trying to start an argument or anything, in fact if you do have good comebacks to any of those things then feel free, I'll learn something and have interesting things to say about my choice of manufacturer in conversation in the future :) win / win
Nah that's fine man, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and it makes for interesting discussion.

I would disagree with you though on quite a few points, the Mini is a fine handling car, but really it's not anything special and its very basic design so does not requite much sophistication anywhere, its light, small, low powered car. I would argue that the Peugeot 106 GTI is a better handling car than the Mini as far as supermini's go, that car could hold its own against supercars!

As for track days, ATR's and ITR's owners regularly take them to track days, i'm not sure if you mean amateur racing series or just normal track day thingys, I wouldn't expect them to be raced in a race series, these cars are rare and most cherised example are not going to be risked into a series.

As for them being road cars, well yes of course they are performance cars for the road, all production cars designed for consumer sale are designed for road use, apart from the real hard core ones, things like Your M3 too will be compromised in some ways. But they are also tested for track use, and they can easily be used on tracks as many owners do, you should go and look at the tech used on these cars they are real racing tech, double wishbones suspensions, high revving engines etc, the Integra was known as a street legal race car, heck the DC5 Integra was sold in Japan as bare bones, so people could buy them to race prep them to their own specs.

As for them being raced, the Accord was raced in BTCC for a decade during super touring cars, the DC5 Integra was raced in BTCC for a number of years, then in Japan Integra was a common racing car too.

I'm not sure how much you know about Honda and their cars, but you are seriously underestimating their cars and their values, the Type R cars are proper road legal race car stuff, which had tech they gleaned from their f1 days, things like double wishbone suspension and vtec were derived from their F1 know how. Just look up the Type R philosphy and criteria too.

The Mini was a good car, but you can't compare it to an ITR, even british journalists and mags laud the ITR as the finest fwd handling car and most adore the very british Mini.

I do love this page, discussing that on facebook would just end up with 6million people all slagging me off lol on here all you get is informed opinions.. how refreshing lol

no, actually my knowledge of honda really is limited I won't deny that for a second, and you've given me interesting things to look into, so thanks :)

If you fancy an interesting read do look up Honda's motor racing history, they've always had a presence since they started their automotive range in the 60's and a lot of the tech that trickles down into the cars we drive comes from their motor racing heritage. Even in recent history they've been successful in the BTCC with the Civic.

I imagine the reason you don't see a lot of Honda's out on track in amateur events is just that it reflects the purchasing habit of the public in general. We as a nation largely buy Ford, Vauxhall, VW, PSA, BMW's etc. 'just because' it would appear, presumably it's self reinforcing as everybody else drives European cars. For example I personally wouldn't be driving Honda's if it weren't for a specific recommendation when my first car (an Audi A4) went bang, I was just going to buy another Audi. Luckily I was educated before it was too late :p

There are a few people who have clocked on to how good Honda's are as track cars though, I know of a few Preludes which have been built for the track specifically - There is one in the SLS Scotland series which has ruffled a few feathers as it has shown up some of the more expensive track cars B) I'm seeing more and more EK Civics at the local speedway too - Civics seem to be able to take an insane amount of punishment in the banger racing! If I ever take one in p/x I know what I'll be doing with it :lol:

Check out the VTEC Challenge as well, that's a Honda specific race series which is quite cool, there's some very serious bits of kit there which have been built from road cars B)

As for Integras being sporty, I've been in a DC5 and I have no doubt that they are a very capable sports car as a result, although I much prefer the looks of the DC2 :D As for the 6th gen Accord, having driven a fair few other offerings in that sector and of that age I would say that the Accord is sportier in comparison - the ride is much firmer than most saloons and the handling sharper as a result. Considering that it's SOHC the F20B6 engine produced a fair amount of power for the time as well, 2 litre SOHC VW lumps of the time were only at about 115hp!

Double wishbones is another good point made above - I'll try and dig out the article clipping I have but the third gen Accord was the first production saloon with double wishbone suspension on all 4 corners and as a result it was one of the best handling saloons of the 80's. Mine has shown up a fair few modern cars with it's nimbleness :eek:

^ The EK Civic's are also very popular in rallying as they are very strong and nimble. As you say aswell Honda's history is enriched in racing, both in their cars and motorbike they have been racing since day one, the first car Honda made was the Honda S600, a sports car that revved to 9000rpm all the way back in the 60's! Things like double wishbones and vtec all filtered down to the passenger cars from the f1 cars. The unique thing about Honda is all their products have always been led by engineers, and not money men and a committee like 90% of other car manufacturer, Honda has historically been an engineering led company, they give free reign to young engineer to come up with products and ideas, it all came from Mr Soichiro Honda himself and you can see all his thinking and philosophy is in the company.

These are good read on the history of the Type R cars

http://motor-prime.com/content/history-hondas-type-r
http://www.myjourneys.com/typer/history

This was the original philosophy of the Type-R set by the engineers, although they do not follow this anymore because the moneymen now dictate the cars have to attract the mainstream so they can cash in on the Type-R branding :p

The Type R philosophy is not about building the most powerful, or fastest car in the world. It is about creating a car that provides a well-engineered, but exciting driving experience. To offer this, every Type R needs to have certain key characteristics:

Racing: An exhilarating driving experience similar to that felt when piloting a racing car.

Involvement: High levels of feedback and involvement in terms of sound, §teering response and handling. The driver should feel part of the machine.

Not just speed: Going fast is part of the Type R experience, but not everything. The Type R should have above average levels of performance in gear change quality, braking, §teering and handling.

Pure: The driving experience should not be diluted or interfered wîth by driving aids or sound proofing that could detract from the driver's involvement.

Stripped-out: A Type R is not equipped wîth luxuries such as satellite navigation, hands-free telephones or leather upholstery. It should look and feel like a racing car.

Engineering: To meet the aims set by the philosophy, a different approach is taken during the design and development of a Type R. Therefore, each car possesses a special set of engineering qualities.

Normally aspirated: No bolting on of a turbocharger to give silly power figures. All Type R engines are normally-aspirated, which deliver smoother power delivery throughout the rev range, allowing power to be transferred through the chassis more easily, improving traction and acceleration.

Torsional rigidity: A stiffer chassis improves the handling of the car in terms of balance and adjustability. This makes for a more involving drive.

Simple technology: No traction control, stability control or four-wheel drive. Or indeed any other driver aids that can distance the driver from the experience. Instead, a Type R is based on clever, but simple engineering solutions rather than electronic gadgetry.

I was going to add, the mini sort of has double wishbones on the front. admitedly, not at the back though, just trailing arms there..

true though that is fairly uncommon, at least with cars I've had, usually just a wishbone at the bottom and a mcpherson strut. even on the 'nicer' cars like BMs etc

I will have a good read through that philosophy and do some further reading later tonight, thanks again all :)

97%* of cars on the road use either full McPherson struts or rears with torsion beams, as its cheaper, as you say BMW have always used mcpherson struts, Honda was unique in putting double wishbones in all their cars from around the mid to late 80's and throughout 90's and in early noughties, they have moved away from it unfortunately, civic and jazz have torsion beams at rear as double wishbones take up too much space and are costly to make. Fortunately our Accord have all round double wishbones even with adjusters on them!

Don't mean to bombard you with lots of honda stuff, but have a watch of this when you have the time, its a cool animation story of Soichiro Honda's life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsNVJLYxZ0s

*dont ask where I got that stat from as its just a guesstimate :p

side bar, I do a lot of CAD work for fun, trying to get into that as a work thing, will eventually, hopefully

but anyway, I was planning a full spaceframe to fit under a mini body (OK, wouldn't be a mini at all when done, to be fair) red top up front, driven at the back, double wishbones, etc

I do see the benefits, definitely, firstly its easier to have inboard shocks.. secondly, you can have progressive camber (mine worked out to about 1deg on about 1" of rise), also you can dial out dive and squat, lower the roll centre, etc etc etc.. so many plus points

I'll be honest, I'd only actually been under the front of my accord, did notice the double wishbones there, but kinda ***umed the back would be trailing arms. had a look just now, yeah I do have double wishbones all round :) nice one

these adjusters you speak of... where? or are they as replacement adjustable items instead of standard..

There is a nut on the rear control arm on the back for adjusting toe, and at the front it has an adjustable shim somewhere for caster.

Ah I see, thanks. Was being a bit childish and hoping there would be a 'massive negative camber' option lol

Then I grew up and realised that would be daft anyway haha

quick update, and to bring this back on topic, I am still interested in buying one of these engines if anyone is getting rid of one?

have been offered engine and box (no idea of mileage but will be a rebuild anyway) at £300, but would rather give the money to a fellow honda person than some random scrappy somewhere