What's new

weight reduction.

silverVTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
CG9
Rite I've had enough of my accord being so damn heavy, I don't like the way it gets off the line.. So I'm thinking about stripping all the interiour out, apart from the 2 front seats, surely a lot of weight can be lost here?

Not really, they are only 135-150hp machines so you will never really win any drag races. Just accept it for the slow but refined machine that it is, and buy a Type-R if you want speed.

BlueVTEC said:
Not really, they are only 135-150hp machines so you will never really win any drag races. Just accept it for the slow but refined machine that it is, and buy a Type-R if you want speed.
its not that the cars slow I just want to lose as much weight as I can because my saloon weighs at least 1400kg so I want to get the weight down for when I get my H22

Well with an F18/F20, it definetely is slow :L.

If you got the 1400kg figure from the internet, it's wrong. Type-R's are 1150-180kg, with non-ATR's ranging from 1210-1320kg depending on spec, equipment etc. My H22 CH7 weighs 1220kg with fluids and no driver, and I've done nothing to reduce weight as it still pulls like a train!

Honestly mate, if you want a stripped out quick VTEC, get a Civic. The beauty with the Accords is that they have a true jackel and Hyde personality, being able to cruise one minute and then fly round bends the next. If you strip your Accord, you will just be left with a noisy windy car that is still slow, and with winter coming it will be FULL of condensation.

One thing I love about my CH7 is that it will cruise all day long and return 40mpg in comfort, yet it will also hit just under 160mph and stick to the bends like glue. If I stripped it, then all it Will be is fun when I occasionally put the foot down, but crap for everything else!

I agree with above, most the weight of the accord is in chassis, sub frames/suspension gear and engine/transmission.

The area that makes the most difference to performance is your un sprung weight, basically anything attached to your wheels, bellow your shocks. Loose weight here is expensive, but will make the most improvement.

Another easy win is your exhaust, exchange that for a stainless straight through job, you'll be shock how heavy OEM one is. But that option is noisey.

i love modifying my accord but I accept its a heavy car, if you want to save weight buy a civic! If not more power is the way forward! :)

Think I'm going to just put a H22 engine in then, because I've heard good things about them, I've done engine swaps in the past so quite simple, if anything the hardest thing is taking the dash out. I should be able to pick up an atr between 1 and 2k. The most I've had out of my 2.0 is 135mph took a while..

What's the point in spending 2k on an ATR and removing everything (brakes, shafts, subframe, loom, motor and box) just to put in a 2.0? Surely you want a knackered 600 quit ATR for that. You are going to make your insurance the same so why not just spend 2k on a working ATR? Or am ai missing something????

I believe the whole point of the transplant is that you are able to get hold of the bits cheap not spend the same amount as a fully working ATR?

Accords are for slow cruising/comfort (just like M-Benz E class) as mates said, if u want speed get type R, civic VTI/type R or swap or turbo or take out engine and put it on cart ;)

WOL said:
What's the point in spending 2k on an ATR and removing everything (brakes, shafts, subframe, loom, motor and box) just to put in a 2.0? Surely you want a knackered 600 quit ATR for that. You are going to make your insurance the same so why not just spend 2k on a working ATR? Or am ai missing something????

I believe the whole point of the transplant is that you are able to get hold of the bits cheap not spend the same amount as a fully working ATR?
yes you are missing something its my car and ill do what the hell I want with it, I enjoy doing engine swaps etc! and I have the money to buy an ATR donor car, so what's the problem? My car my choice simple! Don't hate...

I wasn't "hating" what so ever. And if you take time to read the post properly you would see it was about what you said about the prices!!

I'm all up for transplants and have also done a couple myself, you however stated 2k!! That's not a donor that's a fully functional ATR hence me being baffled why you would strip it down just to put in a 2.0 shell.

I completely understand it if you have a cheap donor car etc.

Bit of advice. If you want peoples advice (you're putting it on here so I will take it that you do, or you just want attention, either way is fine) then don't start getting aggressive and speaking rudely to the people you're asking, especially when they agree with what you want to do

WOL said:
I wasn't "hating" what so ever. And if you take time to read the post properly you would see it was about what you said about the prices!!

I'm all up for transplants and have also done a couple myself, you however stated 2k!! That's not a donor that's a fully functional ATR hence me being baffled why you would strip it down just to put in a 2.0 shell.

I completely understand it if you have a cheap donor car etc.

Bit of advice. If you want peoples advice (you're putting it on here so I will take it that you do, or you just want attention, either way is fine) then don't start getting aggressive and speaking rudely to the people you're asking, especially when they agree with what you want to do
in no way am I being rude that's just my adhd coming out, that's why I'm all up for this engine swap I love my 2.0 saloon for many reasons that's why I want to spend decent money on an ATR the same colour as my car so everything I swap over will be in good condition. Same for the engine backed up by FSH, unlike a ragged about one for well under 1k.

No bother bud :)

I totally appreciate you wanting to make sure you're getting well looked after kit, but you can get the same results by finding a damaged one. Find one with good mileage etc but because its written off its a third of the price that then leaves you extra funds for tinkering ;-) remaps exhausts etc