What's new

wheel size question

nduli

Members
Reaction score
Car
CDTI exec saloon
guys

sorry for the boob question but if i have an accord running 16's, i ***ume i can upgrade to 17's or 18's but do i need to do anything to the car to tell the ECU i am running 17's or 18's? Does the inch difference make a difference to the speedo etc and if so howdo you go about sorting that out?

thanks in advance....

guys

sorry for the boob question but if i have an accord running 16's, i ***ume i can upgrade to 17's or 18's but do i need to do anything to the car to tell the ECU i am running 17's or 18's? Does the inch difference make a difference to the speedo etc and if so howdo you go about sorting that out?

thanks in advance....

Hiya mate

No, you just alter the tyre sizes to offset the increase in wheel size.

For example the standard tyre size on my Accord is 225/45/17. If I was gonna go 18" then I'd fit 225/40/18 and if I was gonna put 16's on then I'd fit 225/50/16.

Hiya mate

No, you just alter the tyre sizes to offset the increase in wheel size.

For example the standard tyre size on my Accord is 225/45/17. If I was gonna go 18" then I'd fit 225/40/18 and if I was gonna put 16's on then I'd fit 225/50/16.

ahh gotya top job. if you wanted to stay the same on the tire wall size is there a way of doing this (purely theoretical)

have my eye on an ex but it has 16's and having run a sport on 17's for 3 yrs i know i'll want to move to 17's at some point purely out of vanity ;-)

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

just fiddle with the numbers, wack in your standard fitment, then change the rim size, and see which tyre dimension combo you want. Making sure its the sameish diameter.

It can be varied upto 3% after that the is a speedo variation. However all car speedos are 3mph faster than real anyway, so all youll do if you go bigger, is make it more accurate.

For example my standard size is 185/70/14 I now have some 17's and run 215/45/17. I also have some 16's and run 205/50/16. I could run 225/40/17 and 225/45/16, more width more traction, more sidewall better ride comfort. All of these variations are within 1-2% of standard size.