What's new

Wheel Tracking

Something that I only became aware of yesterday, it that there may be a difference between front suspension on the Tourer and the Saloon

I've checked out front suspension part numbers on Lings, and the part numbers are the same across engines for one body type e.g. 2.4 Tourer is same as 2.2 Tourer, and 2.4 Saloon is same as 2.2 Saloon, but the part numbers are different across body types.

2004 2.2 Tourer --> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__2710&block_03=517&block_05=hcr

#1 51300-SED-E01 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER £156.79

#2 51306-SED-004 BUSH, FR. STABILIZER HOLDER £8.08

#3 51308-SDA-A00 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER £10.05

#4 51320-SED-013 LINK COMP., R. FR. STABILIZER £62.56

#5 51321-SED-013 LINK COMP., L. FR. STABILIZER £62.56

#6 51350-SDB-A00 ARM COMP., R. FR. LOWER £284.18

#7 51360-SDB-A00 ARM COMP., L. FR. LOWER £284.18

#8 51391-SDB-A01 BUSH, FR. COMPLIANCE £25.52

#9 51393-SDA-A02 BUSH, FR. LOWER ARM £20.38

2004 2.2 Saloon --> http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__2710&block_03=2847&block_05=hcr

#1 51300-SEA-E02 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER £143.72

#2 51306-SEA-E02 BUSH, FR. STABILIZER HOLDER £8.08

#3 51308-SDA-A00 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER £10.05

#4 51320-SEA-E01 LINK COMP., R. FR. STABILIZER £62.56

#5 51321-SEA-E01 LINK COMP., L. FR. STABILIZER £62.56

#6 51350-SEA-E01 ARM COMP., R. FR. LOWER £284.18

#7 51360-SEA-E01 ARM COMP., L. FR. LOWER £284.18

#8 51391-SEA-004 BUSH, FR. COMPLIANCE £25.52

#9 51393-SEA-004 BUSH, FR. LOWER ARM £20.38

I would have thought that, from B-pillar forwards, Tourer and Saloon are same for a given trim, engine, and year, but the fact that the part numbers are different suggests that there may be a difference between Tourer and Saloon.

It is fairly common for some non-OEM suppliers to send out Saloon rear pads instead of Tourer rear pads, so there may be the possibility that you have a mix of different parts on the front ?

I think the difference may be down to the estate's capacity for holding more junk and so the Honda have a different daily front/rear weight ratio. What are the wheelbase measurements of both ?

^ good call

Saloon lengths
4665 mm
wheelbase 2680 mm
Saloon widths
1760 mm
front track 1515 mm
rear track 1525 mm

Tourer lengths
4750 mm
wheelbase 2720 mm
Tourer widths
1760 mm
front track 1515 mm
rear track 1530 mm

Car has been down to an MOT garage today who says he cannot find any significant play anywhere !

Very slight play in a rear wheel bearing and says a slight knock from steering rack when the wheel is turned.

Anybody any experience of steering rack issues? Would a slight knock but failure to feel any play whilst stationary be enough to cause tyre wear?

He has recommended taking it to another garage for tracking as he does not trust the one I have been using !

By now I'd have set up a couple of string lines down the sides of the car, and had a 3' level up the side of the wheels to check the camber.

The last time I had the tracking adjusted at a garage, I ended up re-doing it myself using a tape measure and two huge straight-edges to stop it scrubbing tyres.

Do all my cars myself now.

I would post you a picture, but photobucket's being a ****

Are the rears on the Tourer adjustable? If so then if this was out then all tracking will be wrong as it always references the rear wheels!

Next to nothing in the rear of a tourer.

You can adjust the length of the lower arm on the bolts, but that changes toe and camber together.

As long as the two tyres each end are parallel with their partner, they'll follow together, even if it crabs one way or another.

If you have one toe-ing in, then the four wheels start having a fight with each other.

Unless that one front of yours has a load more camber or caster (so it adds excessive camber in a turn) it has to be toeing out at the front.

The fact that it's only one at the front would imply a bent or worn component, (which you've had all checked) or it's trying to steer it from elsewhere, or a combination of the two.

Grab a spirit level, and measure the offset from vertical at the top of the tyre, and measure the wheel height.

Using a bit of trigonometry, you can work out the camber at all four corners, and start eliminating things.

Also measure that the wheels are sitting in the same position in the arch for and aft, thatll tell you if everything's straight.

For camber was going to download a protrator app for my phone, fasten it to a straight piece of metal and then hold this against the wheel rim.

Just looked up the car details on the Autodata system and it shows the tracking on the rear is adjustable so perhaps I have been looking at the wrong end of the car all along !!!!

IIRC your car is a Tourer, Autodata probably confusing the Saloon, the rear on the Tourer is trailing arm which has limited adjustment (see #39)

Took it to another place who confirmed the front wheels were running perfectly parallel! :mellow:

Had a chat about what it could be and the only thing they could suggest was possibly caster so had a measure between wheels and bodywork and all seemed equal as far as I can tell.

Going to go back to place with four wheel alignment kit and see if they can measure the caster.

What about the rear wheels? Are they at zero toe too?

Now that is odd????

Car's not bent like a banana is it?

If the rear wheels are parallel and Pointing straight, and the fronts parallel with the rears it should go straight without scrubbing tyres.

If the rears are still parallel with each other, but not pointing in the same direction as the front however, you get a slight crab, which means you end up steered into the sideways movement, and the ackerman effect of the steering of course adds camber to the inside wheel and effectively toes out the front wheels relative to each other.

But you say all the wheels are sitting in the same place relative to the arch, which would indicate it's sitting square....

I'm stumped.

Channel Hopper said:
This is a very polite forum, since nobody has asked about the 'dimensions' of Graham's partner yet.
but he might be a Cliff Richard fan

Jill-Stolworthy.jpg