What's new

Wheel wobble question

skinnyman

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4 Type S
Howdy folks,

My car has recently developed a slight wheel wobble, it's not really noticeable until 60-70mph, but the wobble is more apparent under harsh braking.

The pads are pretty low, and I've got some new ones ready to go on, but the discs also have a slight lip worn into them. So, is the wheel wobble likely to be caused by excessive disc wear/warped discs?

I've got some extra cash coming next month so I'm considering replacing the discs anyway.

Can you fill the wobble through the brake peddle?
If so then I would say new disks are needed.

It could also be sticking caliper sliders, they might need cleaning up and re-greasing... should be done while changing the pads anyway. The lip at the edge is often due to corrosion, so best to check your discs for thickness and runout before deciding they need replacement... after you've removed the pads it's fairly easy to clamp something rigid to, say, the brake carrier (you'll need to improvise, depending what bits you have laying around, but maybe a metal ruler and a jump lead clamp?) almost touching the disc surface, then spin the disc while watching the gap between the surface and the thing you clamped near to it. It'll be obvious if the disc is warped.

Ah, there's no wobble through the brake pedal, its just through the steering wheel.

I'm going to swap the wheels around this weekend first to see if that makes a difference

UPDATE

Discs are below minimum limit, so will be getting replaced anyway. Will swap the wheels over the weekend, see if that cures the wobble at speed, and then will be having new discs & pads all round when my mechanic is back week after next. May as well replace the fluid whilst he's in there too.

If you're getting it under acceleration, breaking and cruising. It's not the discs alone.

I think you need a suspension check-up as it could be the following one or a combination of the following

1. Wheel balance
2. Flat-spots
3. UCA/LCA ball joint
4. Compliance bushings
5. Drive-shafts
6. Brake pads/discs
7. Bearings

Hopefully, it would be the cheaper options first (wheel balancing)

Well it's getting wheels rotated, then brakes overhaul, then wheel balancing. Then if it still isn't solved I'll start looking at suspension components.

This is beginning to develop further into more of a general steering wandering problem. When driving along the steering with sometimes randomly pull to one side, left or right. Or just wander around a bit, then it stops and everything is back to normal.

I can't really do too much investigation though until I've replaced the discs & pads next week.

This is beginning to develop further into more of a general steering wandering problem. When driving along the steering with sometimes randomly pull to one side, left or right. Or just wander around a bit, then it stops and everything is back to normal.

Sounds like bushings/balljoints rather than anything else.

What size rims are you running on, and is the car lowered or not? Do you think the wandering is more so tramlining, this can happen with bigger than standard rims and also means a decent alignment could be the needed.

Do you think the wobble and wandering is related, have you experienced both of them together?

Stock 17" Type S rims with stock suspension. Its definitely wandering and not tramlining as it will pull left then right within a split second of each other.

Full hunter alignment done a few months back. It does sound more ball joint or track rod ends, but the car is an 06 on 53k, I wouldn't expect these things to go yet

could be cv joints but i would not be a happy bunny to buy cv joints on a car with 53k, would expect honda to cover it.

get onto honda about this tbh, usually suspension or drive train parts fail at 100k+ which is more normal

What are the condition of your tyres like.
Have they worn uneven anywhere if so this will have a huge impact on steering

Tyres all in very good condition. Front replaced a few months back when the alignment was done, rears have plenty left in them, no uneven wear. Fronts are Kumho and rears are Michelin, so no bargain basement budget remoulds or anything.

I'll try to get it on an MOT shaker plate after the brakes have been done, then potential speak to Honda depending on what the problem is.

The behaviour of a wandering steering and then all is ok, vibration under braking drive, etc, all points to a loose joint/bushing....