What's new

Whining/Siren sound from Engine Bay

I will post on here as well

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Jon are you stalking me lol no mate I agree with you on all your posts you are more knowledgeable than me on diesels on electrical problems I may take the lead lol

My pc is having new hard drive so important data on there

I've just watched that video and there's something really weird about that sound. Have you checked all the air box, air filter, air intake hoses?

I'm not discounting turbo damage but there's definitely something strange going on there. If it pulls fine with no smoke it's got to be something stupid.

Does it smoke? Make another video but ref it up fast. I'm genuinely curious now as to what this is...

I can hear mine whistle when it's cold but yours sounds amplified (hense my questions RE air intake).

I don't think a remap will make the turbo work harder. Could be wrong but I'm thinking wastegate issues are more likely to do that. Also, after reading many posts on here I would follow the above advice RE oil, as I am doing. Mines done 150K.

A leaking turbo seal only causes excessive smoking on petrol engines... a small amount of engine oil getting into the intake of a diesel is simply consumed as fuel. And there's no wastegate on our variable nozzle turbos.

I certainly agree that the suspected turbo wear needs to be properly confirmed before replacement... The vidclip I posted a couple of days ago does show what a worn (but still functional) turbo can look like, but obviously there's a fair bit of work required to reach the point at which that inspection can be made.

honda_saj said:
Jon are you stalking me lol no mate I agree with you on all your posts you are more knowledgeable than me on diesels on electrical problems I may take the lead lol
pepsterland has no expert on the diesel engine, send them to TA ....but then you'll also become guest there LOL

freddofrog said:
pepsterland has no expert on the diesel engine, send them to TA ....but then you'll also become guest there LOL
Hmm interesting

Hi there, hope you're all well. Just wanted to jump in on this as I’m also getting this exact same issue. When I’m accelerating I get the same whirring/whining noise. I had an issue with the turbo and I believe a kit (ill double check that) was used to repair it. Although I now have power from the turbo I still get the noise.

I’m intrigued to find out where this goes as im currently in a state of limbo. The garage took another look and couldnt find anything wrong with what was done and the supplier is saying there shouldnt be a problem. I want to avoid having the parts sent back without having made sure there isnt something else that cause be the cause. Sending the parts back will mean no car and if they find nothing wrong i expect there will be a change involved somewhere along the line.

@DJSR hopefully you have some luck getting yours sorted as well.

muzzy said:
Hi there, hope you're all well. Just wanted to jump in on this as I’m also getting this exact same issue. When I’m accelerating I get the same whirring/whining noise. I had an issue with the turbo and I believe a kit (ill double check that) was used to repair it. Although I now have power from the turbo I still get the noise.

I’m intrigued to find out where this goes as im currently in a state of limbo. The garage took another look and couldnt find anything wrong with what was done and the supplier is saying there shouldnt be a problem. I want to avoid having the parts sent back without having made sure there isnt something else that cause be the cause. Sending the parts back will mean no car and if they find nothing wrong i expect there will be a change involved somewhere along the line.

@DJSR hopefully you have some luck getting yours sorted as well.
Hi Muzzy,

From all the research and feedback i've received, i believe the whining sound is the turbo fan rubbing against the bearings inside the turbo, which means the bearings are on their way out! This is what i believe from what i've been told. I also had my turbo reconditioned only 18 months ago and the place which did it must have used cheap parts to rebuild it, thats the only thing i can think of. My car drives fine, plenty of power, but i've also had the ECU remapped which i think could also have caused the turbo to spin constantly adding to the problem, so its a few things causing this i believe.

I've received my new Turbo unit from TurboLondon (£240), they seem a very good company and it looks like its been done professionally as i have received a lot of documents where they test the turbo after a rebuild to check for any problems. We shall see after i have had it fitted. I've also asked the mechanic, who is a friend, to check other bits and if its not the turbo i will send it back.

I'll do an update after its been fitted, going into the garage on Thursday (fingers crossed!)

bananahead said:
I've just watched that video and there's something really weird about that sound. Have you checked all the air box, air filter, air intake hoses?

I'm not discounting turbo damage but there's definitely something strange going on there. If it pulls fine with no smoke it's got to be something stupid.

Does it smoke? Make another video but ref it up fast. I'm genuinely curious now as to what this is...

I can hear mine whistle when it's cold but yours sounds amplified (hense my questions RE air intake).

I don't think a remap will make the turbo work harder. Could be wrong but I'm thinking wastegate issues are more likely to do that. Also, after reading many posts on here I would follow the above advice RE oil, as I am doing. Mines done 150K.
Just done another recording as you requested, rev'd it up a bit more for you to hear. Only smokes on a cold start which could be condensation in the exhaust, or if i havent driven the car for a few days it will smoke more.

http://www83.zippyshare.com/v/pmOj9zMm/file.html

DJSR said:
Just done another recording as you requested, rev'd it up a bit more for you to hear. Only smokes on a cold start which could be condensation in the exhaust, or if i havent driven the car for a few days it will smoke more.

http://www83.zippyshare.com/v/pmOj9zMm/file.html
In that video it doesn't really sound that bad (although I can hear it). It seems almost none existent on rev increase. Does it do it under load?

Anyway it seems you've gone ahead and decided to replace the turbo so I hope it fixes it :)

bananahead said:
In that video it doesn't really sound that bad (although I can hear it). It seems almost none existent on rev increase. Does it do it under load?

Anyway it seems you've gone ahead and decided to replace the turbo so I hope it fixes it :)
When you say under load, i'm ***uming with more people in the car?? It doesnt make any difference. The sound does indeed reduce once the car has warmed up, which tells me the bearings in the turbo have been lubricated by the oil and the sound reduces.

DJSR said:
Hi Muzzy,

From all the research and feedback i've received, i believe the whining sound is the turbo fan rubbing against the bearings inside the turbo, which means the bearings are on their way out! This is what i believe from what i've been told. I also had my turbo reconditioned only 18 months ago and the place which did it must have used cheap parts to rebuild it, thats the only thing i can think of. My car drives fine, plenty of power, but i've also had the ECU remapped which i think could also have caused the turbo to spin constantly adding to the problem, so its a few things causing this i believe.

I've received my new Turbo unit from TurboLondon (£240), they seem a very good company and it looks like its been done professionally as i have received a lot of documents where they test the turbo after a rebuild to check for any problems. We shall see after i have had it fitted. I've also asked the mechanic, who is a friend, to check other bits and if its not the turbo i will send it back.

I'll do an update after its been fitted, going into the garage on Thursday (fingers crossed!)
Hi DJSR, thanks for the info. fingers crossed that works!! what was the website you used? was it londonturbos co uk? ill need to double check what was done on mine. Hoping that the faulty part is covered under warranty.

Right, just picked up the oil pressure pipe that goes into the turbocharger, this could be the culprit of the whining noise, could be ! If this pipe is partially blocked, no oil is fed into the turbo to lubricate the bearings, from what i have been told. Heres the pipe, £43 from Honda :( Will return it if not needed.

7ba163ca0d33be6f751ce7706d7fa4e7.jpg

DJSR said:
Right, just picked up the oil pressure pipe that goes into the turbocharger, this could be the culprit of the whining noise, could be ! If this pipe is partially blocked, no oil is fed into the turbo to lubricate the bearings, from what i have been told. Heres the pipe, £43 from Honda :( Will return it if not needed.
Unfortunately the damage may have been done before the noise started!

That pipe being blocked is a commonly mentioned reason for repeated failure of the turbo. it really should have been checked last time your turbo was replaced. It'll be interesting to hear about what's found this time.

Jon_G said:
Unfortunately the damage may have been done before the noise started!

That pipe being blocked is a commonly mentioned reason for repeated failure of the turbo. it really should have been checked last time your turbo was replaced. It'll be interesting to hear about what's found this time.
Hi Jon,

Thats if the last place changed the oil pipe, which i dont think they did!

DJSR said:
Hi Jon,

Thats if the last place changed the oil pipe, which i dont think they did!
You don't need to automatically replace the pipe each time, but it should be checked to see if it's free from blockage whenever the turbo has failed.

Right, just picked up the car with a new reconditioned turbocharger, the whining sound has gone, but the oil pressure pipe which Honda supplied me was the wrong part (took it back got a refund earlier) so the mechanic cleaned the old one and other surrounding pipes and refitted those and he didnt notice any blockages. However, he told me the car is burning oil, which i noticed before, and told me its a part (cylinder head?) on the pistons which is burning the oil, they arent getting lubricated, and said it would be a costly/big job and to keep an eye on it, he also told me before to go for a thicker oil (10wx40) which could help the cause, but i'm not sure on changing the recommended oil for these cars (0w30). I did notice on a cold start a clicking sound from the engine which disappears after about 15-20 seconds (Pistons?). Car is driving fine like before but without the whining sound now. Costly job in total £240 for turbo + £150 fitting + oil + filter.

I could do another audio sample of the engine sound if anyone wants to hear the difference, just let me know.

Thats excellent news!! pleased you manged to get it sorted. im going to check what parts are covered and push to get mine sorted.

Great news mate. As for the oil, he might mean piston rings. In fairness if it's not continually smoking and passes an mot I'd just leave it. Just make sure you change oil regularly. As for a thicker oil, if it was me I'd be inclined to use the proper oil. I say that purely because of posts I've seen on here where people seem adamant you shouldn't use anything else (like the genuine fuel filter thing).

Anyway happy days!

Cheers guys! its so strange though, because the car still drives normally like before i got the turbo fitted, just no whining sound now. bloody cars lol

Hmmm interesting could have been turbo bearings

honda_saj said:
Hmmm interesting could have been turbo bearings

Thats what i though it was, hence partially blocked oil pressure pump.

yep well anyway you have replace turbo and pipe so should be trouble free for a while :)