What's new

Why does my car sound like a flying saucer?

Oh don't worry I'll be turning the stereo up lol. I quite fancy a nice Bluetooth one :)

Is it your fanbelt or cambelt that's noisey Mr Flyer?

I'm going with one of the ancillary v-belts being the culprit. But so far I've spent all of about 5mins looking in to it :p

Take it yours is not of the Bose stereo flavour. As they are not easily replaced without bodging the amp back in to life.

Actually mine is squeaking a bit as well when I put the air con on. Going to get it tightened up a touch this morning seen as I've got a funeral to go to on Friday and if I roll up behind the funeral car with my fan belt squealing I'll look like a right tramp! Lol. May as well get a ford cortina with furry seats to go with it!!

Nope not the Bose one. It's actually been changed for an old basic Kenwood one but I could really do with usb and Bluetooth so my girlfriend can ring me up and shout at me.

Makes life easy if someone's done the stereo before. Pioneer do some nice units without a CD slot with bluetooth and all the usual bits. Keeps the unit a bit smaller and they usually sound pretty good. Had one in my Astra before getting the Accord with Bose kit (now with 3.5mm aux instead of the cd changer).

Oh no it has to have cd. I'm old skool bud, can't be giving up cd's. Infact id like to see cassettes back!!
I've never owned a pioneer before, do you like them?

Only stereos I've bought for my cars. Even acquired an old cassette one after my brother replaced it in one of his cars. Never bought anything more than a fairly basic unit (£50-80) but they always worked flawlessly. They do a unit for pretty much whatever you require (DEH-4800BT perhaps) and the displays are quite clear. They're all face-off too last I checked. Most support the steering wheel controls if you have them.

It looks like they've changed the styling again since I last bought one (an older MVH model) a couple of years back.
You can browse their range here:
http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/receivers/overview
Then just search the model numbers for reviews and pricing.

As for what I see in other peoples cars (I've driven something like 120,000 cars - it's a job hah) they're some of better ones for sure. A lot of others seem to have very random button placement and are often very muddled if you're trying to stab a button quickly. This goes for pretty much every Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, and Sony unit I've come across. Not to mention the horrid things people have from brands you don't recognise. Saying that most people seem to leave the things in demo mode and think it's meant to be like that.

I did make up some CD's when I first got the Accord which I hadn't done since my school days for my portable CD player hah. Was quite funny having to pick out songs for just 6 discs worth of music. Sounded great mind and didn't miss a beat playing them except over one nasty pothole.

The only thing that puts me off pioneer is they seem to have a lot of flashing lights on the front nowadays and I'm not keen on the look. Be like having close encounters of the third kind on my dashboard lol.
I think in your case a lot of the confusion with other brands might be down to you not being used to them. Kenwood make some really nice stuff but my last radio was a kenwood so want something different. Sony sound quality is awful! Alpine, well I've owned two of them and I've often found them buggy. Surprising really considering they're meant to be the best make.
So that leaves JVC and I do really like the sound of JVC. To me they get it just right. Think I'll have to listen to a pioneer and compare :)

Actually in an ideal world I'd have Panasonic!! Had plenty of them and loved every one! Only problem is they no longer make car radios in the uk.

The good news is none of the lights flash unless you enable the daft modes a few of them have. Usually just red lighting for the controls and a white text display.
Most I ever had on the units I owned was a scrolling display for song ***les when using the USB input. If it's still present there's a dimming option as well that roughly halves the brightness of everything.

Go and have a play in Halfords and then buy elsewhere unless they've actually got a decent deal on for a change :)

I fiddle with pretty much every car stereo under the sun on a daily basis in order to turn it down, off, or shut up the sat nav. Some of the layouts are truly horrid. There are a good few where what you'd ***ume is a volume dial isn't or it's touch sensitive and no matter what you do it only increases. Even some of the factory units these days are just dreadful things with little to no thought put in to the usability of them.
One thing that often amazes me is that most people with DAB radios fitted in their cars still use AM to listen to the sport. Sometimes I get bored and change it for them. I wonder if they ever notice.

Oh really, well that makes them a bit more attractive then if you turn the flashing lights off. I'll have to go look at one properly in halfords I think. :)

Half of them probably don't even know they've got dab lol