What's new

Won't start! Help

bhpamzz

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-CTDI
Hi guys I would really appreciate any help I can get.
Firstly I have been getting like a sqeeling sound from near the power steering pump it starting off coming and going once in a while. Now it's constant but goes off occasionally. And also developed another sound these last few days sounds like a whine or air relese kind of sound.

Today I started the car and drove for while and what happen was. All the lights on the dash came on and my sat nav was flickering on and off and then my stereo sound wouldn't come on and my headlights were flickering on and off too! So I pulled over into a side road and turned the car off. Then when I tried putting it back on it didn't wanna start like the battery had drained so I jump started it and it started and I drive 7 miles back home. With the heating and the lights and radio off. Even if I open the window or use the wipers all the lights on the dash come bk on as if there's barely any power in the battery. Wat could this problem be?
Isit just a dead battery?
Or isit the alternator?
Has anyone ever had this problem?

Sorry for the long thread guys
Thanks for reading.

your fan belt has come off or loose and is not turning the alternater.

should be as simple as that.

Agreed check the alternator belt and go from there. Keep us posted.
If it ain't that then make sure all the earth connections are ok and that the battery is charging

Was the battery light on? If not probably not alternator. Probably duff battery. They tend to just fail, especially during cold weather.

Alternator clutch has seized mate or possibly belt has slipped. These cars have smart alternators so if the clutch isn't kicking in when requested your electrics are going haywire.

Fahad could you advise me on what I should do?
Would this be covered under warranty?
As my cars only done 78000 with and is under 7 years old do is still under extended warranty.

Its your alternator mate, when its making that noise its not charging the battery. You need to diagnose it properly first though before chucking money at it by taking a reading accross the battery it should read around 14.4 around idle, and if under 12v when it making that grinding noise it alternator clutch.

I done a diy onit a while ago, think I was the first but many have had this issue now and another diy showing how to change the clutch in the alternator too, get your spanners out and get busy

Sounds like the automator isnt charging.goog advice from the guys.as for warranty I haven't heard of any for this unless you have a 1 year dealer warranty when you brought the car.

Automator? Is that next to the flux capacitate and the Higgs Boson forced induction whatchyamacall it? :p

Amz - as the guys have said, there is no extended warranty on alternators. Have it tested from any half decent motor factors, they should do it for free (its just a battery and alternator test). Then take it from there.

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it

got to agree,sounds like the alternator bud.have heard these make some pretty horrendous noises too.

As I said above did battery light come on before engine stopped? The light would be on if the alternator was not charging or belt slipping.

Iv had the car checked by three different electricians and they've all pointed at the alterntator so look like i got to fork out or a new one! I'm really dissapointed with Honda to be honest because at 70.000 miles that's the last thing you would expect from this especially with full Honda service history and one owner from new! Plus I always give it atleat 10mins to warm up before I go out and 5mins to cool down when I get home!

What price have you been quoted.
There had been a couple of cases I no with automators packing up.
Dave Mazo his give up the ghost I be leave on a 06 plate.

mate you can't blame Honda. unfortunately it is just one of those things. granted the time of year for it to happen is not ideal but cars do go wrong. even Hondas.
my aircon compressor went on mine and could have cost a grand to fix but I did my homework and got it replaced for 200 with a second hand compressor.
I happily took this on the chin knowing that the engine in mine will go on for a lot more miles and be relatively trouble free compared to some other brands.
an alternater is far from the end of the world and with a little shopping around it doesn't have to cost the earth either. stay clear of the main dealer unless you are minted and speak to a good local mechanic and get him to put a recognitioned or second hand alternater in for you. all cars go wrong and I could wright you an essay on the faults some of my previous cars had which brought me back to Honda ownership.
these cars are very reliable but not indestructible.

I am no Honda fan boy but I know a good reliable car when I see one and you own one.

well put but to give the alternator due credit its the poor belt routing that causes its early demise and in most cases only a £75 part needs replacing so not the end of the world indeed. I would look at changing the belt for the new revised one while your at it.
Oh and you don't really need such long warm up/cool down times either, In fact most engines are better driven straight away keeping revs to a minimum and upto 2mins cool down on turbo's. nice to see a caring owner though ;)

Not read the thread completely but the screeching is definitely the V grooved alternator belt it needs changing and quite frankly it should have been done when the screechi9ng noise first started - I don't believe it will be the alternator itself.

Also if the battery is over 3 years old but definitely over 5 then change this also - I would suggest getting a Varta/Bosch silver calcium battery - it is an uprated battery and worth paying a bit extra for it. (didn't check before writing, I am ***uming it is for a diesel?).

I also believe the OP mentioned about a gaseous type noise accompaniying this, I would expect that this is the air con compressor kicking in and out without being able to reach the required presurisation due to a slipping belt. some poster mentioned fan belt - this is now a defunct expression for the correct belt - it is the auxilliary drive belt, it is a multiple v grooved belt running the auxillary components and needs to be at quite a high tension - hence when worn it slips and causes one hell of a screeching noise.

My advice - get it replaced ASAP and whenever the screeching starts the belt should be replaced not waiting for months later... when real more urgent issues appear.

Not read the thread completely but the screeching is definitely the V grooved alternator belt it needs changing and quite frankly it should have been done when the screechi9ng noise first started - I don't believe it will be the alternator itself.

Also if the battery is over 3 years old but definitely over 5 then change this also - I would suggest getting a Varta/Bosch silver calcium battery - it is an uprated battery and worth paying a bit extra for it. (didn't check before writing, I am ***uming it is for a diesel?).

I also believe the OP mentioned about a gaseous type noise accompaniying this, I would expect that this is the air con compressor kicking in and out without being able to reach the required presurisation due to a slipping belt. some poster mentioned fan belt - this is now a defunct expression for the correct belt - it is the auxilliary drive belt, it is a multiple v grooved belt running the auxillary components and needs to be at quite a high tension - hence when worn it slips and causes one hell of a screeching noise.

My advice - get it replaced ASAP and whenever the screeching starts the belt should be replaced not waiting for months later... when real more urgent issues appear.

Tha'ts exactly what i was trying to say but worded a hell of a lot better than myself. good post.

To be honest As soon as the noise started I took it down to Honda and had it checked and they were adamant that the power steering pump was the culprit. And I was really unsure as wether they were right. And then these other weird noises started a couple days later! And it was booking in for a repair next week to have the power steering pump done for £680 including labour! And then the next thing I know the car dies on me!

Whas the deal with aux belt one Honda dealer mechanic told me that they remove the tensioner and change the belt to a smaller new revised belt is that right?

That's right about the belt. Shorter belt , relieves the pressure on the alternator bearing.

just as little update i had a new alternator fitted and had one pulley removed and a new belt fitted and rerouted, and everything is back to normal but iv notcied that here and there the battery sign pops on the dash and then disappears usually just last for 30 seconds any ideas what could be causing this issue?

er your battery. If its not been changed its worth sticking a new one in holdcroft do it for 38 quid delivered which is a fantastic price.

If its flickers when first started that can be normal and you can take a reading of the battery when resting but on our cars it requires a fair bit of cranking power to turn the engine so battery can weaken even though it shows a good resting charge. As said change it if it hasn't then you will have done charging/delivery and have total peace of mind.