What's new

Xenon bulb

accord2001

Members
Reaction score
Car
Fr-v
hey, how many of u guys are using Xenon bulb on ur 6th Accord? u found them any good? especially durability ?

i was told that Halfords bulb are cheap but they don't last long,
although Osram are better but nothing beats Philips

so i just bought a pair of philips blue vision ultra (4K) from bulb direct, and gets a pair of side light for free. however they appears not as bright /blue as image suggested on the box

my question is if the output power has any correlation to the life expectancy of the bulb? the higher output the shorter they live>? :ph34r:

Do you mean hids? If not then Phillips are great. I used to have them in my old 6th and lasted the life of the car.

Hi,

I don't think you will need to worry 'bout the xenon bulb lifetimes, unless your car's electric is okay. I personally have a 2003 Accord and still have original Osram xenon bulbs in use. Although they glow not so brightly now (quite a difference, can be easily spotted if you change only one bulb, which I tested when buying a spare bulbs set, therefore I highly recommend to change both bulbs at once), still the light is fine and both works after 8 years safe&sound.
Generally, I would suggest the only thing you should check for, is that the new xenon's have the same watts as the ones used before (e.g. 35W)

Hope this can help you.
Have a good time

my frd 06 civic has xenon bulb wch looks pretty cool, however they only last around 15 mths on average, same as some review on halfords website that Xenon bulb doesn't last as long.....

But they look cooler and much brighter

Lifetime would depend on whether the xenon bulb was a HID (good life) or a filament (maybe short life) lamp.

hmmm......

Xenon can refer to a type of incandescent and a type of HID so it can be confusing. Here's some +/- of Halogen/Xenon Incandescent and Xenon/HID sources.

Halogen/Xenon are cheap. A bulb can be a few dollars. The filament is very fragile when hot. Run off anywhere from 1.5 to 220V, don't care about AC/DC. Full power right within milliseconds. Get hot. Maybe 30 Lumen/watt on a really good day with a tailwind.

HID/Xenon are expensive. A system runs about a hundred dollars, typically more. Require a ballast and igniter. Need very specific power source. No filament to break. Slow to warm up, even automotive systems take a minute or two to reach full intensity. Least efficient put out about 50 Lumen/watt, most put out ~90 lumens per watt.

More detail: Quartz Halogen is a light bulb where the envelope is quartz and the gas inside is a halogen (typically a blend of iodine, etc) This lets you run the filament hotter without it disintegrating. Next step up is Krypton fill, lets you run a smaller wire hotter, with the best incandescent using Xenon fill (Surefire, Streamlight, etc use Xenon bulbs)

Arc / HID / Xenon HID covered in detail by Phyhsuts.