What's new

P1704

jmcgahern

Members
Reaction score
Guys, I had a fault a few months back. Whilst driving the glow plug icon started flashing and an engine caution icon appeared on the trip computer, the actual red engine light did not come on. I checked with my OBD scanner and found only one code, P1704. I was near a Honda dealer so dropped it in. They diagnosed a bad throttle position sensor and replaced it with a new one.
Just this evening the same thing happened again and P1704 has returned. I've had a look over on Civinfo and there are one or two threads on this code for the civic diesel, they reckon it is a clutch switch issue. Has anyone here had this problem by any chance or had to replace a throttle position sensor?

Never heard of a clutch switch causing an error code but TPS is relatively common..

P1704 does relate to the clutch pedal switches it could be a loose connection or broken or poorly adjusted switch.

There are two switches one at the very top of the pedal arm and one slightly lower down, firstly check the connections are tight then check that the switches are working and nothing is fouling the return of the clutch pedal.

Maybe worth getting the dealer to check the pedal height also

I reset the OBD code on Wednesday evening and after moving 20 m on Thursday morning it came back. Just this morning I pulled out a few panels under the steering wheel and disconnected the two switch cables. Pedal movement seemed fine and I couldn't really get to the switch pins to do a continuity test. I put the cables back on the switches and cleared the code. I just went for a short spin and no errors at all. Must have been a poor connection to the switches, hopefully it's ok now. I do have my doubts about the throttle sensor now though, was there ever anything wrong with it? As I said previously, the only code that appeared the first time was P1704.

I reset the OBD code on Wednesday evening and after moving 20 m on Thursday morning it came back. Just this morning I pulled out a few panels under the steering wheel and disconnected the two switch cables. Pedal movement seemed fine and I couldn't really get to the switch pins to do a continuity test. I put the cables back on the switches and cleared the code. I just went for a short spin and no errors at all. Must have been a poor connection to the switches, hopefully it's ok now. I do have my doubts about the throttle sensor now though, was there ever anything wrong with it? As I said previously, the only code that appeared the first time was P1704.

Great stuff and hopefully it was just a loose connection.
If it happens again in the future then just unplug one of the switches, clear the code and reconnect, then take for a quick drive and re-scan, at least then it should hopefully narrow down the suspect.

In respect of the TPS, difficult one really, here's a link to a thread, which has some good links on the subject from our friends over the pond, where the issues with TPS seem to be more prevalent.

code readers to solve problems post # 25

The dealership should have checked all the connections to clear the P1704 codes but I would suspect that they checked other tolerances etc to check whether anything else was possibly at fault. From what I recall they don't always throw a code and whilst codes are handy for narrowing things down, they don't always mean they are right, in that something else more subtle could be influencing them etc.
If you have time have a read of the threads on the subject, you may find that you recognize some of the symptoms, that you felt before and when you first noticed an issue.

Alternatively go back to the dealer and inquire why they replaced it, they should have a reason. I know how you feel however, when something re-occurs after it is meant to be fixed by a part and in this case they have either sold you something that didn't really need replacing OR done a sterling job and perhaps spotted something and saved you later hassle.

Great stuff and hopefully it was just a loose connection.
If it happens again in the future then just unplug one of the switches, clear the code and reconnect, then take for a quick drive and re-scan, at least then it should hopefully narrow down the suspect.

In respect of the TPS, difficult one really, here's a link to a thread, which has some good links on the subject from our friends over the pond, where the issues with TPS seem to be more prevalent.

code readers to solve problems post # 25

The dealership should have checked all the connections to clear the P1704 codes but I would suspect that they checked other tolerances etc to check whether anything else was possibly at fault. From what I recall they don't always throw a code and whilst codes are handy for narrowing things down, they don't always mean they are right, in that something else more subtle could be influencing them etc.
If you have time have a read of the threads on the subject, you may find that you recognize some of the symptoms, that you felt before and when you first noticed an issue.

Alternatively go back to the dealer and inquire why they replaced it, they should have a reason. I know how you feel however, when something re-occurs after it is meant to be fixed by a part and in this case they have either sold you something that didn't really need replacing OR done a sterling job and perhaps spotted something and saved you later hassle.

To be honest, I don't think they would knowingly replace a part that wasn't needed. Any time I've spoken to the mechanics there, they've been very reasonable and honest. I ***ume they used Honda diagnostic equipment versus my handheld OBD, that may well have picked up on something else. Hopefully no more flashing lights for a while!!