What's new

Code Readers to solve problem

pipito28

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-cdti Ex
Hi everyone. First time poster here looking for help.

Bought an Accord 2.2 i-cdti ex (2007) in November last year. It had done 100k miles but had been serviced by Honda every 6 months.

I had it serviced at an independent garage in March 2011 and he changed the oil, oil filter, plugs, fuel filter etc.

Unfortunately he didn't use genuine Honda parts and ever since I have experienced slight hesitation/misfiring on acceleration and every now and again the engine warning light comes on along with the VSA. When i turn the engine off and re start the VSA light goes off but the engine light stays on - eventually going off after 3/4 restarts.

Ive spoken to Honda who want £51 for accessing the diagnostic codes.

After reading lots of comments on here about the importance of a genuine honda fuel filter ive also asked honda to quote for replacing the FF and they said it would be £70 inc the FF and labour.

Im in two minds whether to change the FF first to see whether that improves the situation or whether I should buy a code reader myself as Im very reluctant to pay Honda £51 just to access the codes.

Suggestions would be welcome and indeed if anyone knows where I can buy a decent code reader at a good price then I might consider accessing the codes myself.

Get a genuine ff in ASAP. Vsa is not picked ho on obd readers so you'll need hondas hds system it an independent with snapon readers.

As Dan said change the filter 1st as this could be the cause of the engine management light to come on.
As for the VSA light does your ABS light light up as well ?
If so this could be a faulty ABS sensor very common with that mileage.

I get the impression though that whatever is causing the engine warning light to come on is also causing the VSA light to trigger too.

Im hoping that curing the misfiring/hesitation on accelleration will stop both warning lights coming on. As they come on at exactly the same time and never independently of each other I believe its the same fault and not two seperate faults.

Can a non genuine honda FF cause such problems. Before I had the service done at the independent it was running like a dream. The last Honda service was in June 2010.

I get the impression though that whatever is causing the engine warning light to come on is also causing the VSA light to trigger too.

Im hoping that curing the misfiring/hesitation on accelleration will stop both warning lights coming on. As they come on at exactly the same time and never independently of each other I believe its the same fault and not two seperate faults.

Can a non genuine honda FF cause such problems. Before I had the service done at the independent it was running like a dream. The last Honda service was in June 2010.
Phil just have a search mate after market FF are the biggest fault on the forum.

Its only the engine light and VSA light that comes on. The ABS is fine.
That i would say rules put the abs sensor then.
To be honest though i cant see the link with the FF and the VSA light coming on.
Perhaps to stop the guessing get the codes read and change the FF for good measure.

One other thing which may or not be a coincidence is that on the last two occassions that the lights came on, 2 days prior the low fuel warning light had come on and I had filled up at different branded petrol stations - the lights came on exactly 2 days later on both occassions.

Is it possible that the FF could be getting clogged up with gunge at the bottom of the fuel tank?

In between filling up and the 2 day period before the lights came on I wouldn't have covered many miles at all.

I doubt it just change the FF as i said and all will prob be ok.

I doubt it just change the FF as i said and all will prob be ok.

Ok will do.

Just a question about changing the fuel filter myself.

What makes the fuel come through the new filter when bleeding it?
Do i need something to draw the fuel through or does it come through on its own? And on the back of this, when I take the old FF off what stops the fuel from coming out of the supply pipe?

Have a look hear Phil ;)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/911-fuel-filter-change-facelift-7th-gen/

Hi everyone. First time poster here looking for help.

Bought an Accord 2.2 i-cdti ex (2007) in November last year. It had done 100k miles but had been serviced by Honda every 6 months.

I had it serviced at an independent garage in March 2011 and he changed the oil, oil filter, plugs, fuel filter etc.

Unfortunately he didn't use genuine Honda parts and ever since I have experienced slight hesitation/misfiring on acceleration and every now and again the engine warning light comes on along with the VSA. When i turn the engine off and re start the VSA light goes off but the engine light stays on - eventually going off after 3/4 restarts.

Ive spoken to Honda who want £51 for accessing the diagnostic codes.

After reading lots of comments on here about the importance of a genuine honda fuel filter ive also asked honda to quote for replacing the FF and they said it would be £70 inc the FF and labour.

Im in two minds whether to change the FF first to see whether that improves the situation or whether I should buy a code reader myself as Im very reluctant to pay Honda £51 just to access the codes.

Suggestions would be welcome and indeed if anyone knows where I can buy a decent code reader at a good price then I might consider accessing the codes myself.

Phil,

if your any where near either Altrincham or the Trafford Centre ,

I've got a code reader to get some of the codes for you.

Phil,

if your any where near either Altrincham or the Trafford Centre ,

That would be fantastic thank you.
Im near Northwich so not too far.
Can we get this arranged?

Had a similar thing happen last week. Was overtaking a lorry when the glow plug indicator started flashing and I lost all power. The engine cut out. Pulled over and fortunately the car started ok. The engine management light went off after 3 restarts later in the day. I had just filled up 2 days earlier. I am having the fuel filter checked on thursday and will get a genuine Honda part filtted if it is not. I have read all the threads on the forum and it all seems to point to the fuel filter.

What a great source of info this site is. Thanks to all who contribute.

Incidentally the car has now done 130K. I wonder what the highest mileage on here is so far. Any advance on 130K?

Phil,

Nice one Carl it just shows what a great place this is with great members :)

Phil do you know if the independent put 0W 30 oil in the engine?

Honda specify 0W 30 - whether it's bad or not the diesel owners will know better than me. Sounds like the independent's handiwork needs sorting out though :huh:

It wont kill the engine but its not the best.If i was you do a full service using OEM filters and 0W-30 OIL.
The only hard thing is the FF as i said earlier this will give you peace of mind.

130? Pah....159k :) (roughly)

The only possible link I can see with the fuel filter and VSA is if the missing is so violent, it's somehow tripping the ABS system..

Normally if you have a faulty ABS sensor you will get all three (Triangle, VSA and ABS) lights come on. Just the Triangle on its own I think means the VSA is switched off. When the light comes on, does toggling the VSA switch have any effect?

If you can't meet up with Carl, bring it over to Halifax I'll check the codes for you (although generic code readers cannot check VSA/ABS/Airbag modules).

The missus drives it during the week... Its amazing how many miles she cranks up just visiting friends... I do the long journey's and weekend driving... She must be doing somewhere between 250 and 400 depending on who's house the mum's are going to. :lol:

Phil,

Nice meeting you today

From the fault codes retrieved today there seem to be two issue area's, both of which could cause the effect you described in the opening post

P1248 Accelerator Pedal position sensor A/B Incorrect voltage correlation & P2138 Accelerator pedal position switch D/E Voltage Correlation.

This could either be a loose connection or a failing Accelerator position sensor
Part no 2 in this link
Sensor ***embly Accelerator pedal

Here is a link to that thread I briefly showed you, referring to the connection on the Accelerator position sensor, which is something you could easily try and see if it resolves any of your issues.
jerkiness at low revs (diesel)

I've also had a quick search of the forum to see if there has been any similar problems and there isn't many recorded however there is this one that is worth a read to see if you recognise any symptoms.
TPS and ABS sensor problems

As mentioned it really needs the HDS unit to drill down and diagnose properly to see if it is a connection issue or the sensor itself. I do recall seeing it mentioned quite a few times on the American Accord forums, have a good read of this thread as it pretty much sums up your symptoms.
Acurazine it is the same part number as for our cars.

It is a fairly pricey part and as it could be just a connection then it maybe worth running it by Holdcroft Honda, contact details are in this link
holdcroft Team they'll give you an idea of price etc also.

The other code P2199 IAT 1/2 sensor incorrect voltage, relates to either the MAF sensor or the MAP sensor, if I was to pick I'd go for the MAF, only because it is the more likely to go, again however the sensors can be tested and isolated to see which one is giving the fault using the HDS unit.

You could have a go at cleaning them to see if it improves anything, however as a code has been produced it is probably the case that the sensor needs replacing.
Here is a link to a thread on how to clean the sensors.
MAF & MAP Sensor Cleaning

Finally as mentioned earlier on in this thread by various others, at some time in the near future you could do with replacing the after-market fuel filter with an original Denso one, we have seen on the forum, only too often problems caused by after-market fuel filters.

The DIY on changing it, should you feel inclined to DIY is here
Facelift Fuel Filter

Hope it all get fixed soon for you

Wow...

And that's why we made him Tech Moderator ;)

Hope it all helps,

Reading through the Acurazine link it seems quite a common problem especially in higher mileage cars, considering it is the same part number etc there does not seem so many cases over here, or at least reported on the forum.

Just an update.

In order to get a full diagnoses of the error codes I have decided to approach HH service technicians, I left a message with a young lady on reception yesterday morning but im still awaiting a reply.

Ive also requested a quote for some genuine honda parts from HH, again im awaiting a reply.

If I dont get anything back from HH in a couple of days I will just have to take it in to my local Honda dealership to get the faults sorted.