What's new

Clutch and Mods

Jimbo07g41

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I am on my second 2.2 Tourer and currently have a 08 face lift exec. It has a full HSH and is still on the original clutch. It slipped in a high gear about a year ago and has started to do this again this month. I am also getting a little bit of judder from cold, so starting to think about getting a new clutch.

I don't know whether to go indy or HH dealer.

HH have quoted 650, which is quite good and I had one quote of £450 - £500 from an indy.

Anyone know of any good indies in the east midlands? Would a new standard clutch handle an ecu tune?

^ as he says. Clutch on 7th gens is a big job, the subframe has to come off to get the gearbox out, and the exhaust has to be dropped to get the subframe out.

The latest version of the 'Honda' clutch (actually made by LUK) is significantly improved over the two previous versions... there was originally a '305' clutch, then a '315' clutch and finally (since 2010) a '325' version of the clutch (these numbers are the last digits of the Honda part numbers). Quite a few Civic owners have had stage 1 remaps on this '325' clutch without failure. Upgraded clutches (and single mass flywheels) are available as aftermarket 'upgrades' from CG Motorsport, but they appear to often give only a short life, so I would try to avoid these unless you want a major remap power upgrade.

If you do decide to have the work done at a Honda dealer (and I would also recommend Holdcroft Honda because of the generous discounts we often get as TA members) then I would seriously discuss with them the possibility of fitting the clutch ***embly for the later 8th gen Accord i-DTEC 180PS model, which is a much stronger clutch. Several people have confirmed that this can be fitted to the normal (150PS) 8th gen diesel and the early 8th gen diesels had the same clutch ***embly as our 7th gen diesels, so logically this may be possible! More info here... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/18422-would-the-i-dtec-clutch-fit-an-i-ctdi/?hl=clutch

Our stage 1 seems fine with stock clutches and I've also done quite a few stage 2 without issue.