What's new

Valve clearances

Andyjdmteg

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Not sure which part of the site to post this and yes I know it's not a mod but.....

Bloomin heck what a difference! Had the clearances done today as I couldn't see any evidence of it being done in the past and the cars on 70k
I should have done this when I bought the thing. So much smoother and can actually feel a bit of torque pull now.
I've changed the oil again for some millers cfs Nanodrive so I may have a "review" of sorts in a couple of hundred miles

Lovely jubbly

Sorry forgot to say

Mods please feel free to move the thread, as mentioned wasn't to sure where to post it.

Andyjdmteg said:
Bloomin heck what a difference! Had the clearances done today as I couldn't see any evidence of it being done in the past and the cars on 70k
You could be right there dude, I've had my 2.4 from 12k miles and it's now on 97k miles.

Up until about 80k miles I used to take the car back to the Honda dealer that I bought it from for its servicing, and I've looked through all the service records and there are no details on the sheets or invoices of the VC's ever having been done. I keep meaning to do the VC's myself, and although I've been driving another car for the last 18 months, I run the engine for about an hour once a month and I'm certain from the sound that the VC's have never been done. FHSH ain't worth the paper its written on.

For what it's worth my local dealer charges a flat rate of 99 squids vat inc.
which is probably just one hour of labour!

I'm still good pals with one of the techs as I used to work there so 50 sheets and an extended lunch break for him.
Not sure if the 99 quid applies to all Honda dealers though.

Just being curious freddo, what car are you driving now? I'm in a similar position the accord probably does 200 miles a month.

But of a waste keeping it really

I've decided to take the accord to Scotland soon to attend some training rather than the company car. Should be able to give a verdict on wether the millers does what it says on the tin (or plastic container in this instance)

Definitely agree on the recommendation to do valve clearances regularly. We did ours on my wife's FRV K20 engine a few months back, after some 3.5 years of ownership. Both inlet and exhaust side for cylinder 1 were actually loose!! Put them back into spec and it's like the car has gained 10bhp.