What's new

replacing the k20a6 with a k24a3, how easy or hard is it?

DC5Rmike

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9-S TE37
does anybody know whats involved in swapping the 2.0 motor to a 2.4?

deep down i know its probably better to just buy a full k24 car and sell mine but i have replaced alot of parts on mine over the two years, its had paint and arches are rolled etc.

If you do it.. Let me know I want to replace the k20a9 in my wife's FRV with a k24

Icetronix in Ireland have put k24's into most things at this stage. They even put a basic k20 into Jayok's old 2.4 tourer. they're on bookface so might be worth asking advice if you're on it.....

ukcl9 said:
Mike if you have a look at the last page of my reflash thread.you will see a review of the 2.0 reflash.its good.

K24 swap wouldn't be very easy.things like k20a6 has cable k24 has dbw

Also icetronix build quality is questionable
i did see that review, and it does sound very good. I was actually waiting for the other guy to get it done and see some dyno print outs.

now you have mapped the k20a6 do you have more info on it like vtec changeover etc?

Just a thought but would it not be far easier to swap to the more powerful k20 as used in the euro r or even the ep3/dc5?. Same size engine as you already have but with proper vtec (which the k24 lacks). I can imagine the mounting points would be identical?
Alternatively buy a type s or exec 2.4 swap your mods and sell the old car in stock form.

Andyjdmteg said:
Just a thought but would it not be far easier to swap to the more powerful k20 as used in the euro r or even the ep3/dc5?. Same size engine as you already have but with proper vtec (which the k24 lacks). I can imagine the mounting points would be identical?
Alternatively buy a type s or exec 2.4 swap your mods and sell the old car in stock form.
The k24a3 in the accord has the same "proper" vtec as the k20a2 in the ep3/dc5.

Except it only runs between 6000 revs and 7200 revs so the actual vtec window is very small, the vtec crossover is wider and much more aggressive and noticeable in standard form on the k20 lump. Having said that the k24 does produce more torque across the range, as discussed in another topic there really is little difference in power (bhp) between a k24 accord and type r civic etc. It's the lack of weight, the power delivery and the gearbox that make the type r's quicker.

I know the vtec window is smaller but exact same vtec on both, and that small window is nothing that a reflash can't fix. Had my 06 type-S reflashed back in 06 ran the hondata flash on a tsx ecu and then the xover was 4850rpm and redline was moved to 7600rpm, gained a bunch of midrange power. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYFCOgiYRw video of a dyno I did after reflash, ebay header and k&n typhoon intake.

But to the original post I would think that the k20a2 would be the perfect option and you could probably use swap guides from usa for swapping the ep3 Si where they remove the k20a3(pretty much the same motor as the k20a6) and swap in the k20a2.