What's new

Weird idle after cleaning throttle body.

MyfirstVtech

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
Ok so I cleaned my throttle body today and now when I put the clutch down it will sit just above 1000 revs then drop down to just above 500. Where as before I cleaned the throttle body it was fine and would drop straight down when the clutch was pressed.
I did use a fair bit of brake cleaner in there and gave it a good clean as far as I could get in with a tooth brush and cloth plus I did the edges of the butterfly so it was all nice and clean.
Before the clean it would sit at about 500 revs and seem ok.
Any ideas or is my car fine and I'm being too pedantic.

Has the battery been disconnected?

My old petrol accord used to idle low for a little while every time I'd had the battery out. After a couple of days it had re-learnt and was all happy again.

It seems better than it was now and once I get off the accelerator or put the clutch down it will fall to just over a 1000 then now to about 600-750 but can't give an exact figure.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Has the battery been disconnected?

My old petrol accord used to idle low for a little while every time I'd had the battery out. After a couple of days it had re-learnt and was all happy again.
Nope didn't do that just unplugged the pipe that goes from the cam cover to big pipe that goes from the air box to throttle body and that was it.

Tbh that behaviour of idle staying at 1k and then dropping to 750 is normal and how it should be. I too have had hondas that would drop straight to the normal idle but then have had that did this

TypeR said:
Tbh that behaviour of idle staying at 1k and then dropping to 750 is normal and how it should be. I too have had hondas that would drop straight to the normal idle but then have had that did this
That's a relief to hear cheers mate

Use Honda Type 2 Coolant, Bluey green colour. £16 from Holdcroft honda or Cox

Depends what's already in there, some types don't mix well! If you're not sure then best to drain, flush and refill. But is it actually low?

Coincidentally I used that Toyota longlife stuff in my Accord.

Mine's diesel's just full of stuff from Euros.

Does the job.

Might be worth cleaning the air gallery/passage that leads into the egr too, each time you removeclean something the engine will relearn idle based on exhaust gas flow, you will be pushing more dirt form the old passages into the egr again.

Ok so I've had a check and the rad hasn't moved at all fluid wise, the white overflow or expansion bottle I took out and it was quite over the max mark on a stone cold engine so I emptied it out till it was dead on the max mark and cleaned up the outside of the bottle while it was out.
Cheers for the help on the coolant guys.

Mr Honda said:
Might be worth cleaning the air gallery/passage that leads into the egr too, each time you removeclean something the engine will relearn idle based on exhaust gas flow, you will be pushing more dirt form the old passages into the egr again.
How do I get to the egr to clean it and is it worth cleaning the VTEC valve gauze too?

Egr is behind manifold

sent using tapatalk

Could it be some sort of contaminated sensor? Temperature, air flow, whatever. If you used spray cleanerit could have been affected?

Not sure on a 6th gen but on a 7th gen once the throttle sensor has been disconnected to clean the throttle body you need to invoke the idle control relearn procedure.

I did this on the FRV but used my HDS. Basically it needs to be reset and then left to idle for a period of time to relearn. If you don't do it, the revs will bounce up and down as it continues to hunt..

I didn't unplug and sensors but good thought anyhow and right I shall have a look for a relearn procedure cheers.

Hey thanx for the help. I got home after a good 20mile drive, sat with the revs at 2k and all seems well now she settles quickly on idle just over 500 so maybe should be a tad higher but she doesn't seem too struggle at that level.

What was your fix? So other members can benefit thanks for update

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Tbh I just drove home the ten miles as normal then parked up, handbrake on and sat the revs at 2k for 30seconds, let off the revs and left it and it stopped down to just over 500 revs and all is well now it will drop to 1k then to normal idle with half a second .

MyfirstVtech said:
Tbh I just drove home the ten miles as normal then parked up, handbrake on and sat the revs at 2k for 30seconds, let off the revs and left it and it stopped down to just over 500 revs and all is well now it will drop to 1k then to normal idle with half a second .
Fair enough hope it stays that way

Sometimes clogged EGR valve and ports can cause issues like this too, worth clenaing them as they become clogged up with carbon.

The dreaded sticky egr valve