hikeifulike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name:Gary Porter
  • Car :04 Honda Accord 2.4
  • LocationSwindon

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone, went back to Halfords yesterday and this is what they told me, my apologies, if this is all confusing, I actually made them right it dwn for me on paper.

The fault is in relation to the Steering Angle Sensor - VSA 84-01, Andy Collins, this is the same code you mentioned.

The said that I need to bridge two wires, pins 4 & 9.

They used a "LAUNCH" diagnostics model, and the original diagnostics was done on a "Bosch"

Any advice?

Is it really just as easy as bridging with a paper clip, I fail to understand how that makes everything all better,  :unsure:

I want to take up "freddofrog's" offer, but I need to wait till I am working again.

#22 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car :Accord 7 Estate 2005
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Bridging the two pins takes the electronics of the car into 'workshop' mode but without the need of a diagnostics tool.

From there you can, with the use of the key and the pedals, access the fault codes, and these are displayed on the dashboard via a set of long and short flashes of lamp, which relate to the sensors that have picked up issues.

From there you can either clear the codes and try again, or in my case, replace the sensor that is at fault (in my case the LHF wheel sensor) and clear down the codes to check if this has fixed the ABS/VSA permanent lights when driving around.

• honda_saj likes this

#23 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts
  • Name:Jon
  • Car :2005 Tourer i-CTDi
  • LocationNr Ludlow, Shropshire

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

http://www.tsxclub.c...morization.html
  • honda_saj likes this

#24 freddofrog

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Name:.Freddo
  • Car :TBD
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

I want to take up "freddofrog's" offer, but I need to wait till I am working again.

Try the method described in #13 or #14 or #22 or #23  (all the same thing) and see if that fixes it before we resort to using my Honda HDS ;)

• honda_saj and hikeifulike like this

#25 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

Try the method described in #13 or #14 or #22 or #23  (all the same thing) and see if that fixes it before we resort to using my Honda HDS ;)

I can confirm that the procedure within post 23 does not work on mine, it does not extinguish the lights on the dashboard, though it does make only the ABS light go out until the next time the key is turned in the ignition.

I know I'm in the right mode as I am getting one engine code (3-7) on the dash whilst the pins 4-9 are connected.

I will try the video procedure after lunch.

One question - is the VSA button supposed to be passive in feel ? I do not get any 'click' or feeling of much pressure when it is pressed, as though there is only a light spring behind it.

Edited by Channel Hopper, 30 April 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#26 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

For clarity, the technique I linked in post #23 was in reply to hikeifulike as a way to address his 1-84/'code 84' problem, and so run a neutralisation procedure. It is not simply code reading.

This thread has become confusing!

Edited by Jon_G, 30 April 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#27 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

If one of the mods can move my post , I can start a new thread
  • Jon_G likes this

#28 Jon_G

Jon_G

No Longer Active

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

If one of the mods can move my post , I can start a new thread

LOL, it happens!

There's also someone's 'for sale' thread that we've fouled with ABS sensor discussions.
  • hikeifulike likes this

#29 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

As an admin elsewhere, I know the pitfalls.

I'm going to be drilling out the remainder of the sensor tomorrow, if I can find a 'sharp' 9.5mm drill in the shed. I've dropped the idea of tapping a smaller hole and trying to prise out the remainder as I doubt this is going to be successful without drilling below the sensor depth.
  • honda_saj likes this

#30 Andyjdmteg

Andyjdmteg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Name:Andy Collins
  • Car :Accord Type S
  • LocationHitchin

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

Have you tried this yet ?

http://typeaccord.co...s/?fromsearch=1

That's said, you have to do step 1 (jump pins) then use the brake pedal to erase the abs code first then perform the vsa reset. You'll know when the abs has been removed as the light will flash then disappear.
You may have to do the vsa a couple of times, resetting the ignition each time as the timing has to be spot on.
When successful the vsa light will blink then disappear hopefully for good. Or at least until the next abs sensor goes!
Once you've done it you'll kick yourself as it really is quite quick and easy, it's all in the timing of the button presses

#31 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

As per my #13 ......

#6 #7 #9 in this link show how to read the codes  http://typeaccord.co...trick/?p=165713

The method for clearing codes, and then for attempting an 84-1 reset (as posted by Andyjdmteg)  are in this link 

#32 Channel Hopper

Channel Hopper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationKT8 Postcode

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

Have you tried this yet ?
http://typeaccord.co...s/?fromsearch=1
That's said, you have to do step 1 (jump pins) then use the brake pedal to erase the abs code first then perform the vsa reset. You'll know when the abs has been removed as the light will flash then disappear.
You may have to do the vsa a couple of times, resetting the ignition each time as the timing has to be spot on.
When successful the vsa light will blink then disappear hopefully for good. Or at least until the next abs sensor goes!
Once you've done it you'll kick yourself as it really is quite quick and easy, it's all in the timing of the button presses

I think that was the method I tried when I first fitted the sensor to the loom, then gave up until I had a bit more time (and the MOT beckoning).

I find the ABS light flickers three times, not twice and stays on afterwards.

Then of course there is the VSA switch itself which feels as though there is nothing electrical behind it.

#33 hikeifulike

hikeifulike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSwindon

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hi Freddofrog... I am going to try, I will keep you all updated as I go along.

I just read the comments on the thread for the TSX site, really good thread... Ill see how it goes.

Thanks again for all the support everyone.

:)

• freddofrog likes this

#34 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

^ good stuff, hope it works

Apart from the OP, in future it's going to get very difficult to start finding anything to do with VSA issues on TA now .....on House Keeping the janitors would be out sorting things out  :blink:

Edited by freddofrog, 30 April 2017 - 06:41 PM.

#35 hikeifulike

hikeifulike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSwindon

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Just a thought. is there not a copy of a manual for all these codes and bridging, I mean all this info must come from somewhere....

#36 freddofrog

freddofrog

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • LocationOff abroad

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Just a thought. is there not a copy of a manual for all these codes and bridging, I mean all this info must come from somewhere....

I uploaded it this morning, see post #19 in this thread  http://typeaccord.co...nuals/?p=242896  and the link is in #21   http://typeaccord.co...nuals/?p=242960

But I don't think that the "brake pedal" thing is in that manual, the "brake pedal" thing is probably a "back door" method

Edited by freddofrog, 30 April 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#37 Andyjdmteg

Andyjdmteg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Name:Andy Collins
  • Car :Accord Type S
  • LocationHitchin

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

Ok a big post and blatant plagiarism but this is the full monty starting with the ABS reset

1) Jump pins 4 and 9. (I removed obd socket by squeezing the bottom of the plug to remove it from its metal bracket, turned the obd connector around and put a paperclip in the 4th pin (black wire) and the 9th at the bottom (brown wire) )
2) Press and hold the brake pedal and switch on the ignition.
3) Wait for the ABS light to turn off and then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
4) Wait for the ABS light to turn on, then press and hold the brake pedal again.
5) ABS light should turn off, then remove your foot from the brake pedal.
6) Wait for two flashes of ABS light. If it flashes it means that errors are erased.

Check the errors (with the pins jumped) - just turn the ignition on, if ABS light does not flash, no errors are in memory.

If your vsa indictor light (triangle with exclamation point is on) and after you drive a distance the icon that reads "VSA" illuminates, try this:

VSA neutral position setting

Do not touch the brake pedal anymore.

1) Jump pin 9 (brown wire) to chassis ground (I have used a bolt on a door hinge, some people say they just left pins 4 & 9 jumped and it worked, I used a paperclip and wire to make it reach the door bolt).
2) Turn the ignition on, after ABS light turns off, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
3) After ABS light turns on again, quickly press the "VSA off" button.
4) Now shoud be a lot of different blinks and fashes and all lights ABS, VSA and triangle should turn off. The problem's solved.

You may have to try a few attempts, think I got it the third time round
  • freddofrog and Channel Hopper like this

#38 bockersjb

bockersjb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name:John
  • Car :Accord 2.4 Exec
  • LocationChertsey

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

Just to add to this thread a recent experience

Type s2.4 ABS sensor issue on offside rear. New sensor fitted and abs light out. Then on driving away from garage the Yellow triangle was on swiftly followed by the vsa light.
Followed the advice vsa neutral setting, bridging pins 4 and 9 rather than 9 and ground on door hinge. Cleared the fault at first attempt

Many thanks everyone who contributed