What's new

Fan belt - 2.2 diesel

accord1108

Members
Reaction score
Car
Ex 2.2 i-Dtec
After changing the alternator, im having difficulty in getting the belt back on, can seem to get enough of free length in it by moving the tensioner, what is the last pulley to put the belt around after moving the tensioner?

Is it easier if i take off the wheel? does the alternator need to be unbolted?

When i changed it the last pulley was of the power steering pump.
You need to pull the tensioner a lot to put the belt on

Thanks, I got the belt on, first go this morning,I mustn't have been pulling the tensioner far enough forward,

Just for info, 7th gen Accords never had the iDTEC engine... you've either got a 7th gen with the N22A i-CTDi engine or you've got an 8th gen Accord with the N22B iDTEC engine. What year is your car?

I realise that this problem has been solved but, for completeness, the pre-facelift diesel Accord had a longer and different belt run to the later i-CTDi versions. It is recommended to convert the belt run to the later, shorter route to minimise wear on the alternator pulley and bearings. This is the explanitory note that comes with the later, shorter belt from Honda...
1434203_Instructions.jpg

This later, shorter belt is a generic 7PK1785.

Jon_G said:
Just for info, 7th gen Accords never had the iDTEC engine... you've either got a 7th gen with the N22A i-CTDi engine or you've got an 8th gen Accord with the N22B iDTEC engine. What year is your car?
Where was mentioned that is a 2.2 i-DTEC?

Thanks for the replies
Not my own car , yes im aware of the different engines
I have an idtec, 2008, but it was a 7th gen that i replaced the belt on, its a 2008 i ctdi so has the revised belt routing.

Jon_G said:
I realise that this problem has been solved but, for completeness, the pre-facelift diesel Accord had a longer and different belt run to the later i-CTDi versions. It is recommended to convert the belt run to the later, shorter route to minimise wear on the alternator pulley and bearings. This is the explanitory note that comes with the later, shorter belt from Honda...
1434203_Instructions.jpg

This later, shorter belt is a generic 7PK1785.
Hi,

Just wanted to check - does this need to be done the facelift 7th gen diesel accord?

Just been out to the car - and I have the longer aux belt - so it needs changing. (mines a facelift).

Sphinx said:
Just been out to the car - and I have the longer aux belt - so it needs changing. (mines a facelift).
That's odd!

If/when you do change it (it's not urgent) ideally you need a special tool to ease off the tensioner (it's really quite powerful) but you can improvise by carefully interlocking a double-ended ring spanner and an open-jaw spanner, although I bent up a pipe to slip over a ring spanner for extra leverage. If you get really stuck you can support the sump, remove the drivers side engine mount to get access to use a socket. You have to pull the spanner towards you to turn the tensioner clockwise, which feels counter-intuitive.

Like I said, the revised belt is a generic 7PK1785, although I actually used a 7PK1784 (the system allows for a few mm either way).

Thanks,

I was toying with the idea to whether to undo the engine mount or if a tool like this would work :

s-l1000.jpg

Sphinx said:
Thanks,

I was toying with the idea to whether to undo the engine mount or if a tool like this would work :

s-l1000.jpg
The shaft of the tool requires a bend or two.

I didn't find it difficult to use an ordinary socket set once the mount was removed and I could jack up the engine though (but I already had the mount off while replacing the timing chains).

I was 100% convinced that on facelift models they changed the belt.
I got wrong info.
I'm sory for that one

Jan Accord said:
I was 100% convinced that on facelift models they changed the belt.
I got wrong info.
I'm sory for that one
I think we all thought that, no idea where it originates.

Thanks guys

I found this pic on the net - looks like it originated from Honda press division?

2010-07-11_204452_2.2_cdti_belt.jpg

Is there any difference in buying the "gates" belt or the original honda one?

Sphinx said:
Price.

I'm not sure who actually makes the Honda part, but it won't be better than a Gates belt.

My Gates 7PK1784 has done over 25k miles since I fitted it in September 2014.

Sphinx said:
Thanks guys

I found this pic on the net - looks like it originated from Honda press division?

2010-07-11_204452_2.2_cdti_belt.jpg

They have seemed to replaced the power steering pump for an idle pulley on the above pic.

?

Do you think I can get away using belt 7PK1788? or will it cause problems?

Thanks - a mate of mine might have one as spare .