HELP!

Ross3r

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CDTi
Hey Guys and Gals.

I'm freaking out a little bit here.
I think my clutch might be going. The reason I think this is because I was driving on the motorway earlier this eve and I hit a part of the road where you have to slow down to 50MPH.
I slowed down and down shifted to 5th gear. ( I drive a 2.2 I-CDTi with 52500 miles on the clock.)
After that part of the road I accelerated and well still being quite new to Honda and loving the feeling of the acceleration I put my foot down till about 3000RPM.
I shifted into 6th and the revs went down to about 2k. I put my foot down again and the car did not accelerate, but I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the revs went up to about 2.5k, and then back down to 2k. Only then did I feel the acceleration.
I tried to replicate this a few times and as far as I'm aware I could only get the car to do this when changing from 5th to 6th.
After a little while in 6th I plant it and the acceleration is fine.

Is the clutch slipping?
Also I've only had the car about 3 months, so I'm still under warrentee. Ok brought it second hand from a dealer. So will I be covered?
I hope I am cause cash flow is tight so...
Please help.

Much appreciated.

On a plus side though, my Mugen look wind deflectors arrived today. Yay for that.

that sounds like your clutch is slipping to me. get back to your dealers and get a new one put on while it is still under warranty.

Does sound a bit like clutch slip to me... Sorry dude...

that's how mine started. Slight, occasional slip in 6th. It became worse and worse and ended up in a new clutch + flywheel. If it's covered by your warranty get down there sonner rather than later!

How do I know if it's covered?
the only way to find that out is ask them but i would say the clutch wont be covered as its a wear and tear item

Sorry to hear this but welcome to the pressure plate club.Have a good search in diesel faults but to me its the start.

You may be covered under the Sales of goods act (as amended) 1969. The car should be of a reasonable standard, fit for the purpose it was sold for and of a erasable quality. I'd try asking nicely first though before going in heavy.

Cheers Paul.
I'll be nice first and see where that gets me.
As they say you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Got it booked in for Tuesday next week so they can first have a look see.
Spoke to the sales rep that sold me the car. (They are down in West Yorkshire) and she said she will do what she can to help me out also.
So looking kinda good so far.

Been looking at the Diesel faults section. And seems it might be pressure plate.
Dunno, not very mechanically minded.

Does sound very much like the clutch pressure plate is giving up. Have you had the car remapped or anything as this can accelerate the problem but if its begun a little it can only get worse?

Personally I would get it done sooner rather than later as the constant slip may cause damage to the flywheel.

Sorry if there a reason for this, but surely if there is so much issue with these diesel clutches wearing out and slipping, why not just get a aftermarket uprated clutch?

Replacing it with another weak clutch is a no brainer to me. :unsure:

I know someone at work who has the honda 4x4 cdti and he had a clutch conversion kit put in his , well that's what he told me, know someone who defo had one put in his mondy tdci because i sourced it for him on fleabay, are these conversion kits worth a try or are they to dodgy?

Sorry if there a reason for this, but surely if there is so much issue with these diesel clutches wearing out and slipping, why not just get a aftermarket uprated clutch?

Replacing it with another weak clutch is a no brainer to me. :unsure:

Over on the civic forum, they send there worn out clutch to get remanufactured with an uprated pressure plate and better friction material. Thats the way to go imo as it retains as much stock feel and you also remove one constraint for those who after more power.

Over on the civic forum, they send there worn out clutch to get remanufactured with an uprated pressure plate and better friction material. Thats the way to go imo as it retains as much stock feel and you also remove one constraint for those who after more power.

How can you re-manufacture a pressure plate? The metal fingers tend to wear and are subject to all sorts of temperature cycles, the only way I can think of 'recycling' it would mean a very limited lifespan. A friction plate, yes as you can attach replacement friction material as long as the metal plate is true and not damaged.

To the OP one easy way to check for a worn clutch is to find a reasonable hill, put the car in the highest gear and then floor the accelerator. If the clutch is going to slip it will do it then as it's the most load you can put on a car.

As far as I am aware Rossers car is totally standard (another non tuned Accord with clutch slip).. is that an echo I hear... :rolleyes:

Don't stress too much mate, it will happen to all Accord diesels at some point I'm afraid.

Well, the clutch seemed to "fix" itself and I've enjoyed many a mile driving my car but I felt the clutch slip agian a day or so ago. So looks like it's nearly that time to get the clutch replaced. :(

It's always the way mate - once they slip, they will need doing sooner or later.

have you checked the amount of freeplay on the clutch pedal itself? Whats the condition of the clutch fluid??? Should ideally be changed and flushed through every 2 years at most

Rosser, as said if it's slippin' and you're covered just get it changed. Make sure they check.adjust the clutch pedal though.
I've no definite proof, but when I remapped, I instantly had slip so much so I had to go back to standard. Tried again a year later, had slip. Changed the clutch fluid -( no real difference) checked all linkages esp slave, made sure nothing was sticking. The thing that I think made the difference was I adjusted the CC switch on clutch pedal and it's been perfect since. Now I might have been lucky but I'm just telling my experience.....seems a bit of a coincidence though eh? Good luck.....

So thats my baby in getting her clutch changed. It's a sad sight looking at one's pride and joy pearched up on a lift, all four wheels off, and "engine" in bits. :(
I was able to go into the workshop today and have a look at my clutch, just laying there on the operating table.
One of the mech's said that it apprears to be GLAZED. What does glazed mean? Is that usual wear? Is'it because there might have been a leak onto the clutch plate itself?
All I know is I kinda wish the pressure plate was warped, that would be a garunteed freebe, on the house from Honda.
So far the warrentee people have not said weather its covered or not, and so according to some of the folk there it's a good sign. All they have asked so far is if I gave permission to have the clutch inspected.

So please guys and gals, hold thumbs and pray that I get it replaced for free.

Will update you when I know more.
Oh by the way I get a Jazz to drive around as a courtesy. Not cool!!!!

Fingers crossed here for you too bud.... Glazing eh? Could mean it got cooked?

Glazed is an expression when it's got overheated pal. The friction material should be dull, but when over heated i.e when slipping on the flywheel takes on a 'shiny' hence glazed appearance..

Best of luck with the warranty....

Cheers guys, it's much appreciated.
It's nice to feel like I belong to a Family here on TA, even though I've not met any one of you fine guys or gals.
I'm just looking forward to my first drive with her again.
Oh that reminds me I need to get her serviced in a month or so.
It never ends but it's a labour of love is'nt it?

They told me, "Bring it in on Wed and you'll have it back by Fri."
So last week Wednesday I droped it off and was ***ured I would have it back by Friday.
I said," good cause I've got some paintball gear in my boot that I need for the weekend, should I take it out?"
I was told no, no you car should be ready for pick up by Friday.
So I left it
Come last week Friday and I phone them and ask if the car is ready. They tell me that it will be by the end of the day, so after work I go there only for them to tell me that the release bearing had not arrived for the clutch kit, and that I would have the car back by Monday (Yesterday)
So now I cant get into my cars boot because the batt is disconnected so I cant get my paintball gear. Good times.
I then wait till Moday and give them a call at 3pm and ask if the car is ready.
I'm told that I will be called back.
30min later I get a call back saying that the tech working on my car was busy with someone elses car and that mine should be ready today.
WTF!!!

Also the warrentee company have not come back with a answer yet about weather or not the cost of this clutch change is covered.
Not a happy chappy at the mo.
Is there anything I can do?
I had booked this job with them 2 weeks before I took my car in so there is no excuse.

dude, that's bad. why couldn't they rig something up quick to open the boot?

i would be gunning for some goodwill gestures...

Perhaps they are really waiting to see if the warranty company are going to cover it and therefore delaying things somewhat.

Even so very poor form to keep promising and then letting you down, hope all end well today for you

Good news.
The car is finally ready for collection, and all it's gonna cost me is £55.40.
Apparently the warrentee company wont coveer the price of the release bearing but thats only £35.40 and then the other £20 for the courtesy car.
Bearing in mind that the courtesy car is like £10 per day, and I've had it for a week.
So.. Thanks guys and gals for holding thumbs and crossing fingers and praying to the car gods. It seems to have worked.

great news matey now you can fully enjoy your motor... after a run in period of course ;)