What's new

heated seat switch bulb replacement

albinoni

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 diesel tourer
Hi - only a quick question. The light in the heated seat switch doesn't work with the lights on. The small red one comes on when the switch is on, but not the one linked to the lights. Is it possible to pull it in bits and fit a new bulb or is a new unit from Honda?
Cheers
Andy
ps - does anyone know where to get 0/30 oil - tried both halfords and the car supermarket today and they didn't stock it?

Not sure about the light, but Lubetech have a good deal for us members - check out the traders section.

Hi Andy.

You can buy the replacement bulbs directly from Honda without the need to buy the full swirch. One went in my past Accord and a quick phonecall found they had it in stock.

The best place for your oil is through our online affiliate. 25 litres is approx £85-£90 which although sounding expensive is very good value. You'll get four oil changes out of it which works out at around £22.50 per change. If you go to Halfords you'll pay £50-£60 for just one change. If you look in the traders section the details are there.

cheers

Paul

the bulb is easy to change. just pull up the plastic surround around the gearstick and unplug both switches and then remove a couple of pozi screws to release the switch and then replace the middle bulb. its about 4 quid from Honda.

:lol:

Thanks guys - some really helpful advice!
I'll ring the local Honda dealer tomorrow and check out lubetech.
Andy

Just a quick one for any other cheap skates out there.

My heated seat bulb has gone too. Having found and removed it (thanks crespo) I didn't really want to pay a fiver for a tiny bulb.

The coloured silicon cap comes off, and the blue plastic bayonet base is easily removed. All I needed then was a 14 volt T1 wire ended bulb.

Much to my surprise (and waste of an entire evening's industrious Googling) it turns out they're rarer than hens teeth. They can be had (e.g. Rapid electronics) but by the time you've added minimum order quantities, VAT, carriage and general hassle it really isn't worth the effort!

Boring story short, I got the Honda part (p/n 35852-SEA-E01) and paid a fiver for it :lol:

vrgduf.jpg

34f1mr6.jpg

My heated seat bulb has gone too. Having found and removed it (thanks crespo) I didn't really want to pay a fiver for a tiny bulb.

The coloured silicon cap comes off, and the blue plastic bayonet base is easily removed. All I needed then was a 14 volt T1 wire ended bulb.

Much to my surprise (and waste of an entire evening's industrious Googling) it turns out they're rarer than hens teeth. They can be had (e.g. Rapid electronics) but by the time you've added minimum order quantities, VAT, carriage and general hassle it really isn't worth the effort!

Boring story short, I got the Honda part (p/n 35852-SEA-E01) and paid a fiver for it :lol:

vrgduf.jpg

34f1mr6.jpg

Maplins i paid 95 pence for one and kept the rubber sleeve ;)

Maplins i paid 95 pence for one and kept the rubber sleeve ;)

@rse.

NOW I SEE

I binned Maplin off years ago when they turned their back on electronics and started selling novelty junk (I'm an electronic engineer by trade). Easy come, easy go...

I tried eBay where I ended up with a wrong bulb so went to the dealer. I only paid around £3.50 from memory.

good find matt the price has gone up 50 pence lol

Thanks guys... just what I was looking for!!! Maplin here I come...

Does anyone know if there is a light in the heated side mirror button? I know the bright orange one that comes on when you have the button pressed. But when you turn the lights on, so the dash and other buttons light up, is there a light that illuminates the symbol on this specific button?

Cheers.

Just a thanks to Matt and others for the fix on the lamp in the heated seat switch. The maplin lamp (prod code BT43W @ £1.29 each) is easy to replace - once the bulb is out, get a fine pointed instrument (needle, pin or similar) and unwrap the wire from around the blue lamp base and extract the old lamp. Thread the new lamp through the two holes in the holder and wrap the wire ends as per the original setup and trim off the excess wire. On the old lamp, see if you can peel off the blue silicon lamp cover (as seen in the pictures in earlier threads) and replace over the new lamp.

If like me you were not able to remove the blue cover without tearing it then don't worry as the end result is still pleasing enough - (actually I replaced the lamp in the other switch whilst I was at it, seeing as lamp life is approx the same in which case the other lamp was probably on it's last legs. Having torn one silicon lamp cover I removed the one on the other seat switch lamp too, so they are the same colour and brilliance).

The worst bit of the whole operation was getting the gearstick/gaiter panel loose, but this is well covered in this thread Click Here

Noticed mine's gone this afternoon. Might pop by Maplins tomorrow for the cheap replacement option ;) .

Just to confirm the above link is the correct bulb, and I want a 12volt right?

Life saver, my broken light was driving me mad, just brought the light from maplin, u can even buy yellow bulbs. Thanks

Just a thanks to Matt and others for the fix on the lamp in the heated seat switch. The maplin lamp (prod code BT43W @ £1.29 each) is easy to replace - once the bulb is out, get a fine pointed instrument (needle, pin or similar) and unwrap the wire from around the blue lamp base and extract the old lamp. Thread the new lamp through the two holes in the holder and wrap the wire ends as per the original setup and trim off the excess wire. On the old lamp, see if you can peel off the blue silicon lamp cover (as seen in the pictures in earlier threads) and replace over the new lamp.

If like me you were not able to remove the blue cover without tearing it then don't worry as the end result is still pleasing enough - (actually I replaced the lamp in the other switch whilst I was at it, seeing as lamp life is approx the same in which case the other lamp was probably on it's last legs. Having torn one silicon lamp cover I removed the one on the other seat switch lamp too, so they are the same colour and brilliance)

Thanks for this info - pure gold! Yup, 2 of these bulbs from Maplins for a total of £2.58 and no more than 20 minutes for the whole job (including the slightly fiddly procedure of swapping out the bulbs in the bulb holder) and I'm good to go. :eek:D

Thanks for this info - pure gold! Yup, 2 of these bulbs from Maplins for a total of £2.58 and no more than 20 minutes for the whole job (including the slightly fiddly procedure of swapping out the bulbs in the bulb holder) and I'm good to go. :eek:D

Glad your sorted Rob and welcome to TA.

Yeah, I had to do another of mine when I did my gear knob the other day. This thread is a great money saver.

vrgduf.jpg

34f1mr6.jpg

Cheers for the info.... That bulb could have been replaced with an LED simply enough.

From seeing the picture you have included it makes me think that there is an orange filter on the plastic switch itself.

Which would put to bed my idea of changing out for a different colour. :rolleyes:

Would you happen to know anything more?

The bulb has a coloured cap that will come off. Not sure if the switch lens is coloured too. The picture that (hopeless) TinyPic has helpfully lost was this one...

BulbOnly.jpg

(will stick with Photo Bucket in future)

You might be able to fit LEDs, but you'd have to make room for a suitable resistor too (or mod the switch body / loom to accommodate one). The blue circle is the bulb to show you where the switch is in the dark (when your sidelights are on). The brown circles to each side are additional bulbs for the high / low 'heater on' illumination. Not sure if these are a different rating / colour as I've never had them out.

If you do get LEDs to work, post the details I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks for the above, I striped it down and saw it was only a rubber coating that provided the colour.

Thus I have ordered 3mm LEDs (and resistors) to reaplce these filament bulbs..

Going to go for white in the off position, yellow at low setting and red for high.

I'll throw up a few photos when they arrive and i get them fitted.

At least I will never have to worry about them blowing again!