DIY fix - Clutch creak / click - updated 6/8/07

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
also look for Honda TSB 02-002

ok finally got my *** into gear to do this. This has lasted me over 15K miles so far so I'm happy with it.

Please note there are several clicks you can attribute to the clutch pedal

1) click from the cruise control switch at the top of the pedal - this is normal
and is not what is fixed here

2) click/creak that you can feel after driving a while/after you've used the clutch pedal for a bit. It usually occurs at the end of the clutch pedal travel - this is what is addressed here.

TOOLS
--------

clutch1.jpg

A syringe with a small tube attachment...the tube size needed at the end is what you will find in common bic biros :). Or you can use a grease gun or some sort.

A GOOD o-ring compatible grease or a high quality medium/thick silicone grease.
Mine was a silicon based grease i bought from Renault many years ago..was used for ball bearings on plastic runners. It's very good stuff and sticks where it's placed plus is high temp compatible...this is important since clutch fluid makes the clutch master cylinder hot.

DO NOT..I REPEAT DO NOT! use WD40 or similar water displacing/ grease removing fluids (yes wd40 actually removes grease!) read below. ALSO Spray can lithium type greases or silicon sprays are also less effective since they don't have the viscocity. Some say it lasts for about a month if that and I have no idea how the lithium reacts with the o-rings.

What I'm trying to say is that the grease type used will determine how effective this is.

METHOD
---------

-look up into the footwell and see where the master cylinder rod goes into the clylinder from the clutch pedal. where the rod goes in you'll see a holding washer(??) which prevents the rod from springing all the way out..on this washer there are two notches cut out and these notches are where you will insert the syringe extension tube (see pic where syringe enters)

clutch2.jpg

-push and HOLD the clutch pedal inwards...this is IMPORTANT! not doing so will mean you don't get the grease all the way in.

-push the extension tube of the syringe as far into the holes as you can and squirt in some grease.

-rotate the washer, where your syringe enters round,...yep it actually moves around and squirt in more grease...do this all the way round

-once you've squirted in enough grease try spreading it around the inside of the cylinder+pushing it as far into the cylinder using the syringe extension.

- once that's done work the pedal backwards and forwards to work the grease in. some/ a lot may squirt out of the two notches in the washer but the grease will be where it's needed.

Hopefully that will fix the creak/click for a long while...enjoy the drive!

DO NOT..I REPEAT DO NOT! go squirting WD40 or similar fluids in there...it may work for a day or more but as the fluid evaporates the lubricity (is there such a word!!!??) vanishes and you're back to the beginning. Worse still WD40 removes what grease was in there to begin with and also dries out the rubber/EPDM that makes up the o-rings in the cylinder and you end up being worse off! You've been warned! you need a thick grease which will stay put.

Just done this using Wynns Clear Lube,PTFE based and safe for 'O' rings. Worked a treat so will now see how long it lasts before needing to re grease.
The info on this forum is Brill! Well done Alnug and Co.

I must get my head round trying this. I'm gonna ask the Holdcroft guys on the 30th meet as mine definitely has the creak at the bottom, don't want to have to splash out for a new cylinder. If anyone going to the meet has the tools and the knowledge to help me, I'd be really grateful.

+1 for this, thanks. I snapped the nozzle off my syringe, so ended up poking silicone grease in with a small screwdriver. Worked a treat.

Had exactly these symptoms on my accord (56 plate) CDTI 34K miles, pressing in the clutch was accompanied by a clicking/notchy feeling.
Followed Alnugs instructions and it has immediately fixed problem
Many thanks

Great advice guys - I wondered what the creaky notchy feeling was! It seemed to take a lot of grease, but is really smooth now, so thank you.
Andy

6 Months since I lubricated my M/cyl and still perfect,not a creak etc in sight. Just a matter of using the right stuff (Wynn's clear lube,maybe trade only).

Possibly not, does it say its o-ring compatable? I've been using that red brake grease but I think its too thick. I got some proper Molykote of ebay.

I'm after this operation, 3 weeks without problem. I used grease in spray from halfords

what about bike chain lube? liqued enough to get deep inside but them becomes "solid" enough to not be flung off chains so should be good enough and is also be definition O ring friendly!

Mis has a bit of a squeak but a I dont change gear that often I have just put up with it :D

Ian

what about bike chain lube? liqued enough to get deep inside but them becomes "solid" enough to not be flung off chains so should be good enough and is also be definition O ring friendly!

Mis has a bit of a squeak but a I dont change gear that often I have just put up with it :D

Ian
Yep Ian, mines just started doing it so I am gonna look in the garage and see if I have any left from my distant biking days. It should be perfect for the job ;)

Wow, great DIY! I got this problem now, and i hate it! It's so annoying! :) Great to see that this work. ;)

Hi Guys,

Really need to sort this on my Tourer, lived with it for ages.

My problem is sourcing the tubing and syringe set up....

Anyone able to knock one up, recommend a source, or near to Ashford :lol:

Happy to pay, just want to get the right specs.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, its really easy to do mate. I made my kit from some washer tubing I had lying about and a syringe from an ink refil kit - minus the ink of course. You could always look on ebay, im sure you will be able to get the stuff for less than a few quid. Let us know how you get on.

Simon, its really easy to do mate. I made my kit from some washer tubing I had lying about and a syringe from an ink refil kit - minus the ink of course. You could always look on ebay, im sure you will be able to get the stuff for less than a few quid. Let us know how you get on.

So standard washer tube is narrow enough to reach far enough into mechanism?

Hi
No washer tube is too thick for the 7th gen. I made mine using a small syringe. Then took a cotton bud tube and cut the syringe opening so that the cotton bud tube was a tight fit. This was then the right size to get into the hole. I then filled it with grease and it went through the opeing very easily. What grease are you using?

Hi
No washer tube is too thick for the 7th gen. I made mine using a small syringe. Then took a cotton bud tube and cut the syringe opening so that the cotton bud tube was a tight fit. This was then the right size to get into the hole. I then filled it with grease and it went through the opeing very easily. What grease are you using?

Hi Buddy,

Not got the grease yet, understand just needs to be o ring friendly, open to recommendations...

Cheers SImon

10ml plastic syringe from eBay, I bought a pack of 6 for £1.56. :D

Hi Buddy,

Not got the greese yet, understand just needs to be o ring friendly, open to recommendations...

Cheers SImon
This is the stuff you need Simon.

http://www.univarsc.com/molykote-55-oring-grease-offwhite-100g-55M100

This is the stuff you need Simon.

http://www.univarsc.com/molykote-55-oring-grease-offwhite-100g-55M100

Thanks Brett,

Ordered, just need to source tube that will deliver from syringe into mechanism....

Regards

Simon

Thanks Brett,

Ordered, just need to source tube that will deliver from syringe into mechanism....

Regards

Simon

OK found a syringe, don't know why I had one :huh: and fitted a tube from a cotton bud. Reckon it would go about 5-6cm into the mechanism, is this enough to deliver the grease where it's needed?

Cheers

Simon

10ml plastic syringe from eBay, I bought a pack of 6 for £1.56. :D

Yep, that's what we used, it was a larger syringe though, one our vet gave us for one of our dogs.

Used an empty bic biro ink inside and attached that to a larger tubing (windscreen washer tubing) Then attached the larger tubing to the actual syringe. We used this stuff, worked a treat, sorted the problem which was quite bad and noisy as well: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260838908249

Yep, that's what we used, it was a larger syringe though, one our vet gave us for one of our dogs.

Used an empty bic biro ink inside and attached that to a larger tubing (windscreen washer tubing) Then attached the larger tubing to the actual syringe. We used this stuff, worked a treat, sorted the problem which was quite bad and noisy as well: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260838908249
How long has this lasted for you mate?

How long has this lasted for you mate?

We added the silicone a couple of weeks ago now. OK, it isn't a long time ago but it was a bad squeak and it was very notchy, cured it after a couple of minutes of pumping the pedal and it's as good as new now. The cars done 97,000 but only a couple of hundred miles since the grease lube was added.

Ok so used the recommend grease and method, and surprise surprise a brilliant result.

Can't believe I left it so long to be honest, 5min repair and such an improvement!

Cheers guys!

If going for molykote 55 on e-bay it costs £7 - 50 for 100g with postage,see tourer owners link. If you use univars it costs £45 - 36 with postage, your choice :D