What's new

Missing OBDII socket

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys,

As some of you might know, my 1.8, year 2000 Accord does not have an OBD connector.
While talking to a guy in other forum, he toldme that there are adaptors from some Honda 3 pin diagnostic socket to OBD connector, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-3-Pin-OBD-OBD2-16-Pin-Adaptor-Connector-Cable-/230629534849?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35b2976c81

Went running to the car see if there was something with 3 pins under the glove box, but found nothing, only the 2 pin plug which can be shorted to report the error codes on the MIL. Near that plug, there was another of 5 pins, which after a brief search, I found that there are adaptors from some Honda 5 pins diagnostic socket to OBDII, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-5-pin-OBD2-16-pin-Diagnostic-adapter-cable-B36-/290471290210?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item43a1702562

Could this be the solution to have an OBD socket on my car?
Does anyone knows if this thing really works?

Take a look at the pictures that I took. Note, the plugs are connected to a socket with no wires, just to hold them in place:

img20110627141611.jpg

img20110627141631.jpg

img20110627141639.jpg

Hi Skhell

The two pin plug is for SRS fault code reading

I know the 5 pin plug has the ABS system on it, if you connect pin 1 and 3 the ABS light will read fault codes

have not worked out what the other pins do tho i am aware the passnger fuse box has a test connector too, so not sure if this is maybe intergrated part of the 5 pin plug.

I have the OBD II connector in mine for doing EML

I have been looking at the repair manual, and it clearly states to connect the PGM Tester to the 5P Data Link Connector(DLC), so its possible to "do things" with this plug.

Also, some the data pins used by the OBD2 ISO 9141(which is used by Honda), are the K-LINE and the L-LINE, which are found in that 5 pin plug, more specifically pins 2 and 3.
Also, the other guy who told-me about this has a Civic which has the 3 pin plug instead of the 5 pin. This is because its a 97 car with OBD2a, and mine is an OBD2b. He used an adaptor in is car with a regular ELM327 OBD reader and it worked great.

I might just buy one of these cables and give it a try, maybe it works :rolleyes:

I have been looking at the repair manual, and it clearly states to connect the PGM Tester to the 5P Data Link Connector(DLC), so its possible to "do things" with this plug.

Also, some the data pins used by the OBD2 ISO 9141(which is used by Honda), are the K-LINE and the L-LINE, which are found in that 5 pin plug, more specifically pins 2 and 3.
Also, the other guy who told-me about this has a Civic which has the 3 pin plug instead of the 5 pin. This is because its a 97 car with OBD2a, and mine is an OBD2b. He used an adaptor in is car with a regular ELM327 OBD reader and it worked great.

I might just buy one of these cables and give it a try, maybe it works :rolleyes:

didnt no you got a repair manual for this car :D is it a paper copy or on a CD?

I no the passenger multfuction unit "talks" to the drivers multifucton unit using K-LINE

for sure pin 3 and 5 crossed brings up the ABS fualt codes as i have done this.

keep us updated on your kit you get :)

didnt no you got a repair manual for this car :D is it a paper copy or on a CD?

I no the passenger multfuction unit "talks" to the drivers multifucton unit using K-LINE

for sure pin 3 and 5 crossed brings up the ABS fualt codes as i have done this.

keep us updated on your kit you get :)

TIN-MAN: PM sent.

I have already ordered a Honda 5 pin to OBD connector and an ELM327 reader. As soon as I get it, I will let you guys know if it works B)

Hi All
I am also want to scan my accord 6g 2000y, but I dont fined OBD2 plug, only 5pins.
What result with ELM327 reader ?
I want to connect 5pins plug with 16pins plug from ELM327. So - HOW??? What pins to connects ???
Thanks

I already received the Honda 5 pin to OBD adaptor, but I am still waiting for the OBD reader....

I can try to figure out the pin layout on the adaptor, maybe I can do it for you in the weekend.

I already received the Honda 5 pin to OBD adaptor, but I am still waiting for the OBD reader....

I can try to figure out the pin layout on the adaptor, maybe I can do it for you in the weekend.

Fine. What type of reader youa waiting???

I also want to buy adapter, but dont know What type to buy.

Im waitng your results.

Thanks

Bought this adaptor:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300491681105&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and this OBD reader:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160550105283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Hi skhell.
What are your result?
And help me connect cheme cable from 5pin to 16pin:
5pins 16pins
-------------------------------
1 ---> ?
2 ---> ?
3 ---> ?
4 ---> ?
4 ---> ?

You will make this by tester

Many thanks

Sorry, had no time to do it, will try do that latter in the day.

As for the OBD reader, I am still waiting. Today it makes 30 days since it was shipped, I will now get in contact with the seller to solve the problem.

Thanks,
281228_215914918460686_100001265380320_685409_1381716_n.jpg

And help me connect scheme of your adapter cable
on first post http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item35b2976c81
from 5pin to 16pin:

5pins 16pins
-------------------------------
1 ---> ?
2 ---> ?
3 ---> ?
4 ---> ?
4 ---> ?

You will make this by tester or etc...
Ok ?

Hey,

Finally got the diagram :)
This is the connection diagram of the adaptor that I have. The pin numbers that I have ***igned to each pin was chosen by me, not following any standards. Also, this is the diagram of the adaptor, and those are actual pictures of the adaptor connectors, so you have to make sure to adapt the diagram in order to connect the 5 pin connector directly to your obd connector.

If you have any question/doubt regarding the diagram let me know, I can test it again for you ;)

honda5pinobd.jpg

Have you tried it? Does it works?

Please let us know how it came out ;)

Bought this adaptor:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300491681105&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and this OBD reader:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160550105283&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Pedro, forgive me if this sounds patronising but, why did you order the adaptor to go with a bluetooth obd reader?

Or is the link a mistake?

Pedro, forgive me if this sounds patronising but, why did you order the adaptor to go with a bluetooth obd reader?

Or is the link a mistake?

I bought the adaptor so I get an OBD socket, since my car does not have an OBD socket. The bluetooth OBD reader is to read any info/information about the engine, which I will connect to the adaptor ;)

I bought a bluetooth reader to connect it to my Android phone :rolleyes:

Dude, just totally realised what a stupid question that was! Got mixed up I guess!

Have just tried the 5 pin to OBD adapter together with the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD reader with no success :(

I tried it with several application with my Android phone, and no luck. It manages to connect to the reader, but then, it says it can't connect to the car ECU...

I had a slight suspicion that the 5 pin to OBD adaptor could me messed up, but I was checking the connections against what I guess it should be, and it seems ok.

Now, the question, why doesn't this work?
Is it because the reader?
Is it because the car?

I guess I will try the reader on other car with an OBD socket to see if it works ok...

Have been doing some more readings and more tests on the the adaptor, and I guess something is wrong with the adaptor...

At least one pin is not properly connected, pin 4 of the obd socket should be "Chassis ground", and nothing is connected to it... Tomorrow will do some more tests ;)

Spent the last hour with wires, multimeters, notes and adapters and who knows what... and still no luck...

Basically I figured out which was the K-Line wire, which is the wire which actually makes the communication between the reader and the ECU.
Then figured out which was the battery voltage wire and the ground wire.

"Supposedly", these are the wires which are needed... I connected them directly to the OBD reader, but it didn't manage to connect to the ecu...

Don't know what to do more, I guess my ECU is not ready to "talk" to OBDII readers...

One curious thing, in the repair manual, the k-line wire should be gray, but in my car its green, this must indicate something :unsure:

doesn't the gen.6 have a obd2? i know my wifes does :)

Usually they are OBD2 and have the 16 Pin OBD2 socket, but there are a few exceptions(such as mine) which doesn't have the OBD2 socket, only that useless 5pin data link connector....

Bet she gets a whole different set of error codes though ;)

Mine has an OCD port :(

Wives aren' t as trouble free as Hondas though innit ;)

Hi Skhel
I check 5pin plug in my car by multimetr and modify "our schem connection"
See:

uk_5pin_cabel_16.JPG

I check manual "Honda ESM Accord" and find K_Line output from ECM connector A(32P) -> 21, also GRY. See:

21_ECM.JPG

So, I think now all will be must to work. But only HOW You to connect 5pins plug from car and 5pins to cabel ??? May be by wires ???

May be to change 4 <-> 5 on plug ??? Or output #3 pin from plug and change 4<->5 pin ???

Becouse I dont know about 10.5v 9.8v signal on 5 pins plug.

Anyway, write Me about your experiments and results !!!

Good luck !!!