What's new

K&N Typhoon Induction system install

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Well, after putting it off for a few weeks.. my brother finally collared me today and go tme to fit his K&N Typhoon kit into his Type S.

The instructions were actually pretty good, but we took a few pics along the way and I thought it might be helpful to some of you looking to do the same thing. It's a pretty expensive piece of kit really at around £185, but it's a well built kit and when you look at what's included and the finish of the pipework etc, it's probably worth it.

I found that removing the bumper made the job a lot easier, especially to remove the old resonator unit. The instructions say to remove the wheel and unclip the arch liner, but to be honest, by the time you jack it up, remove the wheel - it's just as quick to whip the bumper off on this car.

So here's the car it's going in, a 2003 2.4 Type S (engine K24)

31122011099.jpg

the box:

photo.jpg

Some of these pics might be a little muddled, but the principle is to remove the old airbox, Intake Air Temp sensor and ***ociated pipework:

photo22.jpg

photo21.jpg

photo23.jpg

You may notice the wiper arms are missing too (that's not part of the job), we were trying to flush out his jets as they're really weak. That's another story anyway.

photo18.jpg

So, bumper coming off and airbox and resonator etc being removed:

photo1.jpg

photo19.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

Old air system now Junk:

photo16.jpg

Bling Bling B)

photo6.jpg

We went for the cold air install, rather than the short ram. So this basically means the cone is installed right in the arch well behind the front bumper vent so it's drawing cool air. We also fitted the Drycharger, which is supposed to help repell water (although not completely watertight).

photo15.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo11.jpg

Drycharger going on over the cone:

photo14.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

Cone on the car:

photo10.jpg

photo13.jpg

It's a pretty nice piece of kit really, and on normal driving, you wouldn't know it's there. Open up the throttle and the sound is pretty amazing, not chavvy at all (as I was expecting when I told my brother to not bother with it initially). And once the Vtec engages, it's a fantastic roar. Brought out the kid in me :lol:

Total time for install was probably 3 hours really as I was trying to follow the instructions. However had I followed my instincts, it would have been done in 90 minutes really.

The instructions say to disconnect the battery, but I hooked it up to the Honda HDS and reset the ECM so it can re-learn from scratch.

I think my brother is loving it B)

Its all about the vtec! B)

Thanks but my cut hands ain't feelin the love! What the pics don't show is how damn cold it was.. and I didn't realise I was bleeding all over his nice silver paintwork :D But coz my hands were so cold I couldn't feel it until I saw the red stuff running down the side of the wing :rolleyes:

Thanks but my cut hands ain't feelin the love! What the pics don't show is how damn cold it was.. and I didn't realise I was bleeding all over his nice silver paintwork :D But coz my hands were so cold I couldn't feel it until I saw the red stuff running down the side of the wing :rolleyes:
Thats the sign of an honest days graft lol. I'm the same Faddy, don't realise i've cut my fingers until I see blood on the paint.

What's the mileage on that car?

Just looking at the rust that's set in and it's making me worry about mine. I had my entire front bumper re-sprayed as it had a couple of stone chips :wub: never seen the condition of the structure underneath :huh:

Still undecided about the CAI, Injen do a really nice kit also. The K&N I had on my ATR was superb but you don't get the same intake noise or range of V-Tec on the K24 that you do on the H22.

Who`s a brave little soldier then? :D

The car has about 140k miles and is a 2003 car, but to be honest I've seen enough Accords with their bumpers off (7th gens) and they all show signs of rust in the same places.

Also agree the 6th gen ATR has a better sound, but this kit has really changed the character of the car in a way I didn't expect and the vtec range (whilst not as wide as the ATR) does sound damn meaty.

Good work bro! & wow look at that engine bay just like mine when I first got it lol, I would love to clean that up for you and make it look like this... lol

DSC01518.jpg

anyway I have been toying with this sort of set up for mine, but I was worried about making it sound chavy, I might have to pop over and check this out if thats okay with you :)

Sure, as long as you bring your cleaning gear over. You can do all our cars :D

Good work Fahad its a shame there is not one for mine yet.But there will be soon lol.

Good work Fahad its a shame there is not one for mine yet.But there will be soon lol.

Pretty sure comptech already do an icebox for the 8th gen K24, also injen do a cold air too B)

Has he run the car out of Vtec at all since fitting it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you know if there are any real bhp gains with this set up?

Truthfully speaking, I have no idea - but the box does say 'Guaranteed BHP gains' :D

And in answer to the BHP question..

Typhoon fitted with Cold Air Intake and K24 running on high octane V Power petrol is making 205.9bhp / 211.9lbft

1.jpg

so fahad, my brain here did some thinking, stand back lol, this mod does improve performance by 15 bhp or would you say it could of been that powerful as standard?

No I would say it definitely makes all the difference. His car is very healthy and he only runs on V Power (and that does help with power gains), but the car is otherwise totally stock except the Typhoon with CAI.

We had other petrol cars running yesterday and for example an 11 year old 1.8 vtec 6th gen which was about 10bhp down from factory figures (to be expected with the age and miles and his slightly leaky exhaust) so we know the figures are right. We didn't have time to put the stock airbox back in and run it but K24's tend to make a few BHP over the Honda quoted 188bhp anyway.

I've had an Accord type R and honestly speaking, this K24 doesn't feel much different now with the Typhoon. I was a real sceptic myself about how good the Typhoon would be, but I'm convinced - it works and delivers gains.

Also worth noting that we had a massive fan blowing cool air right at the front of the car and that must have helped with the CAI system but the power is definitely very real.

All I can say is thank you for answering that honestly. I am sure it will encourage more of us to buy that mod to release more horses. Now thats consumer advice for you all! ;)

No probs mate, hope it helps someone make a decision. If not for the power, the noise it makes is awesome. I explained to my unc earlier today what 'vtec' was by way of a short spirited trip into Bradford :lol: I don't think the hand prints from where he was clenching the seat have gone yet!

Great review Fahad, i'll be be doing the same on my 2006 model, just need to find out which typhoon model fits it then wait for the weather to pick up before i attempt it.

Just resurrecting a thread here. F6had mate, did you add any kind of venting for the filter? If so where? I'm looking at moving my K&N into a similar place to the typhoon and wondered if I should be giving it extra breathing vents?

No mate, it sits behind the bumper so its already drawing in plenty of cold air from behind the ns foglight..

Cheers F6had. Nothing I like more than keeping it simple ;) .