What's new

Accord 2.4 Type S Not Starting

Gouge

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type S
Car was running ok on Tuesday, but a day later the car would not start easily.

Car turns over but will only start when the accelerator is fully depressed. Car then starts and will only reach circa 2000 rpm. If revved it will climb to 3000 and if accelerator is not kept pressed the car will stall.

There appears to be a stronger smell of fuel when this is attempted. All levels are ok.

Car has done circa 55k. It was running fine until this happened.

Anyone any ideas what this might be.

TIA

John

AA guy was out on Saturday. His Bosch reader came up with a Camshaft sensor error "P0341 - Camshaft position sensor outside specified range".

He tried disconnecting the sensors with no change to the engine, but also confirmed my own thoughts that by disconnecting the sensor it would look to the engine as if there was no sensor (equivalent to a faulty one).

Anyone found these to be faulty/had similar experience or know which one to try replacing first, front or rear or should I just do both

AA guy also suggested code might have indicated a timing chain issue. I felt that the sensors were more likely given the car had been running perfectly ok until the Wednesday morning when it had been a lot colder and more humid.

I understand the sensors are very straightforward to replace, is that right. Also would appreciate any suggestions on a decent cheap code reader ODB tool.

Many Thanks

It's possible your timing has slipped.. Swap the cam sensor over for a known working one first to eliminate that first

Is there any way to test the sensor or is it really just a replace option only. Car has two of them so if need to replace I may need to do both.

Thanks

Timing chained was stretched and one camshaft was out by a good bit.

Engine appears to have good compression though. £560 to fit new timing chain.

Anyone know if other damage to engine is likely?

Thanks

Wouldn't expect anything other than the typical wear.

The wife's petrol civic had a cam position sensor failure about 3 years ago. The only thing that's ever failed on it. It would fail when hot after approx 50 miles.

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at the same time as my friendly mobile mechanic did the sensor. (A lot of the work is done through holes in the wing, requiring raising and lowering the engine multiple times and I didn't fancy doing it)

That's a pretty steep price to do a chain on one of these. You should be looking at around £350-£400 from a decent independent inc parts.

Impossible to say if there's any valve damage but if the compression is good that's a good sign. The chain was slipped and not broken so although bottom and top end were not completely in sync, it's not as catastrophic as when they lose sync completely..

Did it sound like it was misfiring when you were revving it up? If not you maybe lucky. How much was the camshaft out by?

One camshaft was out 90 degrees.

Engine sounded off, but I wouldn't have said it was misfiring.

Thanks again all for your responses.

G

90 degrees???? im surprised it even ran.

New chain and tensioner before that goes anywhere methinks.

Meant to update this after work was done.

Timing chain fitted ok and car is running fine so seems to have fixed issue. Apparently it had stretched 2 inches when compared with new one.

Garage fitted a new chain and chain tensioner and guides.

Odd thing I noticed today, is that the car has lost a lot of coolant.

I read that the water pump should perhaps also have been replaced at the time the chain was done.

Is that correct and also is there any likelihood that the work replacing the chain has disturbed the water pump or cooling system, such that it has leaked to this extent?

TIA

G

I'd be amazed if a chain stretched 2 inches without breaking. After 1/2" of stretch it'd be knackered.

A lot of people would take a cambelt or camchain change as an opportunity to change a water pump at the same time, however it's not essential, just good practice as a water pump's a relatively inexpensive, yet essential part.

Top up the coolant and keep an eye on it, it may have had, and cleared an air lock when it went back together, causing the drop in level.