What's new

DPF regeneration...

OK. Quick update.

Spoke to the dealer yesterday; Service Manager (SM) wanted to do another regen and send me on my way; myself and the techie said otherwise, needs a new DPF as this is the third time in as many weeks it's gone.

SM spoke to Honda UK about a loan car for the day whilst a replacement was ordered; Not available unless the part is on back order. Not very customer orientated there Mr Honda...

Anyway; Dealer was able to sort out a Seat Leon for me at short notice to get me about.

Spoke to dealer briefly this morning; DPF is on back order until 2nd March...

Lets see what the day brings...

Good to know things are moving along Steve.

With any luck, your new DPF will clear all angst. What I will say is when you get the car back, give it some proper beans on the way home, things like hi-revs and forgetting to change gear.

Quick update - still no progress, but on the flip side, the car is going. Done a deal today on a new car, so if anyone wants a '09' plate Type-S cheap, drop me a PM.

Quick update - still no progress, but on the flip side, the car is going. Done a deal today on a new car, so if anyone wants a '09' plate Type-S cheap, drop me a PM.

What are you getting Steve?

Good choice ;) Leagues ahead of the Accord.

Going for a new Audi A5 Sportback S-Line TDi 170...

:D

Very nice. I looked at the A5 coupe before settling on the Accord - I know I may be in a minority here, but the dashboard layout was not something I liked. I couldnt live with it on a daily basis. Its awful, poorly thought out and reminds me of Saab interiors - looks horrendously cheap and out of place.

That said, Im sure you'll love the car. I enjoyed my 24 hours loaner, very comfy and classy.

I know I may be in a minority here

LOL definitely. And Saab interiors may be a lot of things, but 'not well thought out' is definitely not one of them. If you understand anything about Saab's, you will know that ergonomics are at the heart of their design.

LOL definitely. And Saab interiors may be a lot of things, but 'not well thought out' is definitely not one of them. If you understand anything about Saab's, you will know that ergonomics are at the heart of their design.

I humbly beg to differ (and even then my criticism is of their dashboards, not the entire interior - I should have clarified that in my prior post, my bad.) :D

Their bankruptcy is part evident in that too - not everyone agrees/agreed with their poorly thought out philosopy. But I digress. But yes, agree that the A5 Sportback is a different class in contrast to the Accord and with any luck, Steve wont have a repeat of the DPF issues on that car - I've certainly not come across anything in reading (forums/press) about any DPF issues related to the A5 family.

Audi's are not immune from the DPF issues, in fact no diesel car is. The problem isn't Honda, Audi or any other manufacturer.. it's the fundamental design of the DPF that's flawed.

Obviously I have a DPF in my Beemer, but it regularly get's a good 're-genning' ;)

Well, replacement DPF has now been pushed back to the 9th March. Still in a hire car courtasy of HUK (Insignia...Yuk!).

That said, she's gone tomorrow. Really enjoyed my time with her, good car for the money in terms of price, spec, etc, but time to move on.

If anyone is looking for a Basque Red Type-S; I believe she will end up down Reading way, but who knows!

TTFN!

Put some pics up of the Audi when you get it mate B)

Here's a couple of the advert...

She's approx 4 months old and has done 150miles...

Cant wait :D

1.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

She's the 170 version...What can you do ;)

Protected Tricore ECU, need to do it on the bench in Leeds.

EGR ON safe 35bhp gain, invisible to Audi (unless they suspect and start logging) ;)

Nice car Steve - just a s shame about the DPF woes on the Accord for you.

Onwards matey B)

Nice car Steve - just a s shame about the DPF woes on the Accord for you.

Onwards matey B)

Yep. To be fair I was considering changing before the woes; this just sped up my decision...2 Honda's later and onto Audi now...

Yep. To be fair I was considering changing before the woes; this just sped up my decision...2 Honda's later and onto Audi now...

Just wondering if there are many DPF problems surfacing on current Accords - say up to 18 months old (or is it too early to say?)

If you look on the Accord page of the Honda website they are claiming that the placement of the DPF is such that it is in the hottest possible area 'right next to the engine'. Has this been changed recently, and is it helping to reduce the number of DPF problems?

Just wondering if there are many DPF problems surfacing on current Accords - say up to 18 months old (or is it too early to say?)

Never too early, but that said, some of the earliest 8th Gens are approaching four years old. There probably are cases of DPF issues, but they seem to be few and far between. Not many buyers these days are aware of DPFs on modern diesels and by extension, problems occur because they dont know how to drive/maintain a DPF-eqiupped car, thus leading to issues.

That said, I scoured the web before I bought mine and there were just one or maybe two DPF issues I found, and even those were down to driver negligence, not as a result of the car itself. I wouldnt be worried at all.

However, if you are only planning to use the car on local/short runs, then you're better off with a petrol because the I-DTEC engine does need regular blasts up and down the motorway to ensure the DPF is clear.

Hi guys
Tracing this thread back to 2 feb you will see that the dpf light came on and my local dealer did a forced regen. Today less than a month later it reappeared. As mentioned I do a lot of short runs and this is obviously not helping. I have contacted the dealer again and they are having it in next Tuesday to take details of the usage from the ecu. I was promised a replacement dpf if it happened again- we will see.
What worries me is what happens after september when the warranty runs out. Surely with amount of problems with dpf HUK should be working to resolve this major problem.
I also think that Honda dealerships should be made to make prospective buyers of the latest diesels aware of the DPF problem if the buyer does lots of short trips. If I had been made aware of the problem I definitely would NOT have gone down the diesel route. My last car was a Ctdi civic which was brilliant, how I wish I stuck with it.
Regards Mike c

Dealer took my car in today and after downloading the necessary information to send to HUK, they did another regen. This was to return the car back to full power whilst they order the replacement DPF. I am now awaiting the filter which they say should come in a couple of days. I just hope that this will resolve the problem, I do think that I will consider moving to a petrol version when the warranty ends.
I will keep you updated on the progress.
Regards Mike c

Are you giving the car regular long runs and blasting out the junk?

I'm getting DPF regen roughly every 750 - 800 miles, but clears after keeping it to 3K+ on the way home, whilst it's a daily 12 mile+ trip there is a super short trip to drop the kids off first and i get the tail of rush hour so I'm no longer surprised when it happens...
J

I have owned my 2.2i-DTEC Tourer since Sunday, and yesterday drove it the 65 miles round trip to work. About a mile before I arrived home the DPF display and "i" popped up so it looks like I shall need to try and give it a blast in the morning and see if it cures itself.

The car has just over 102K miles on the clock, has an FSH and is otherwise in very good nick.

If I have any problems with this I'll come back here for more advice but it seems that it didn't take long for me to add enough soot to the DPF to upset it.

But I like the car already, it's a really nice drive and a huge improvement from my previous 8 year old Vauxhall Signum.

huge improvement from my previous 8 year old Vauxhall Signum.

So is public transport ;)