What's new

Engine swap

Would love to do that, but here in Portugal the regulations are very tight, and there would no way to put a completely different engine in my car, like one from a ATR, at least in a legal way :lol:

Either way, I doubt the guys in the MOT test would not see the difference. Even if they didn't saw the difference between the two engines, I guess it would not pass the emissions tests ...

Good luck with the project and keep us up-to-date B)

Dude that's going to be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck sorting that wiring though. Think you're gonna need a few red bulls beforeyou attempt that!!!

Where did you get the H22a from?

Like what im seeing here, we need more of this on this forum. Ive failed to deliver so far lol, good for you. B)

Cheers for the encouragement guys! I got the engine on eBay, private seller broke up his BB4 Prelude to swap the engine into his Civic coupe, but due to needing a lot of work in the engine bay to mount the block didn't go through with it. Lucky for me the engine mounts in the Accord are almost identical :D

Anyhow, pulled my full exhaust system today to make way for my powerflow until I can buy the bits to build my own. Flex was knackered so glad I have a new manifold and downpipe :) got my old engine on a hoist, took the mounts off, started to lift the engine, and it foulled the sides of the bay :( night drew in and despite my efforts still haven't got it out... I'm off work tomorrow so will have a look at stripping it back more, reckon I need to work on stripping more parts off to make it smaller

where are you doing conversion? in private garage or any workshop? In second case it much better unbolt everything from bottom and lower engine with front transmission through the bottom of the car... I did so for my last car after accident when dissembled her (i would post images but mu hdd died some time ago with all the photos ).... if doing everything from the top of engine bay, you need to take off gearbox at all first :) there is no chance to take off engine other way...

Yeah I'm going in from the top, and yep it's the gearbox giving me trouble :( was hoping I could push the block back, twist it and get it out, but looks like it will be the gearbox coming out. Guess this means I'll need to take the box off my H22A when I put it in, then reattach it :( how is the engine bay of such a big car so tight!!

Yeah I'm going in from the top, and yep it's the gearbox giving me trouble :( was hoping I could push the block back, twist it and get it out, but looks like it will be the gearbox coming out. Guess this means I'll need to take the box off my H22A when I put it in, then reattach it :( how is the engine bay of such a big car so tight!!

what you would say if you tried to put V6 then :D

what you would say if you tried to put V6 then :D

Well, once this is all done, I'm thinking VR6 in my Mk2 Golf :p guess I'll have to see how much I like that idea after doing this swap haha.

nice progress Josh, get some pics up bro, love pics.

Was working real hard all day today so didn't get any photos, will try to get a couple tomorrow so you can all see what I've been up to!! Mainly a rusty old exhaust and releasing engine mounts :p

Josh mate loads of people have put a VR6 engine in either the MK2 or MK1 golfs. What you want is either electonic injection and some Forced Induction, or some HUGE twin carbs and a full cage B)

P.S I love Golfs!

Yeah, the beauty of everyone doing it though is it's well documented :p Speaking of huge engines in a Golf, I recently saw a Mk2 Golf for sale for about £14,000 iirc... It was completely built up from the ground. Rear engine, rear wheel drive, rally body. I think it was at the Brighton speed trials last year, sounded epic and went like anything :D

My other idea was, I'll have all the parts from my Accord going spare except a block which you can pick up for like £150 highish miles... 2 litre VTEC Golf!! :D

How about an H22 golf? That'd be something else! ;)

Haha yeah get another Japanese motor, 197 BHP in a 900 KG car :D how quickly would I get myself into trouble in that :p

Speaking of car trouble, I have a final diagnosis of what's wrong with my Accord's old engine... Upon removing the exhaust manifold, it has become apparent I blew a hole out the block from cylinder 3. That'll do it :p will take a photo tomorrow

Hi guys,

Going to get some photos up today, and thought I'd start out with some photos of why the old engine is coming out :p

So, after removing the exhaust manifold I spotted this on cylinder 3

eddf19ad.jpg

Which would explain why all my oil was relocated to the engine bay, and the engine seized. Heres a close up

0bff1247.jpg

:s

Whilst taking that photo I spotted a second hole!!

e9778581.jpg

Think that those are two fairly hefty holes!! This shot puts them into perspective a bit better

3e9c73ac.jpg

Think that this was a fair enough excuse to get a H22A :D will be taking it a bit easier with this one though, I've learnt my lesson the hard way :(

Josh

It looks like that connecting rod did his job coming outside to get a fresh air :D

Haha yeah, looks like it fancied taking a look at what's outside the engine block :p

So, spent most of my day off crawling around inside the car seeing as it's cold out today!! I want to get the whole dashboard off the car so I've been working towards that, when I left it today it looked like this lol. Still loads more to remove unfortunately.

2a962ab4.jpg

I just know getting the dash out is going to be a nightmare, but it's the only way I can really sort out which wires I need, and those I don't. Plus I still have to get that old ECU out!! So much still to do :s

Forgot to add - is there a way to move the electric driver's seat manually? I have removed the battery and it's harness from the car so I can't power it up, and the driver's seat is stopping me from unscrewing the centre console.

Fecking he11!!!!!!!! How'd you manage that???

That's a serious amount of stuff removed too. As for moving the seat, i can't help you mate. Sorry. Does the whole of the dash have to come out? Or are you just doing that to make it easier to fit the new engine?

you can power-up it by connecting directly power to the seat. that's the only way to move seat somewhere. there should be 2 pin connector under the seat. I would remove whole seat to access bolts in your case. its much easier i think

you can power-up it by connecting directly power to the seat. that's the only way to move seat somewhere. there should be 2 pin connector under the seat. I would remove whole seat to access bolts in your case. its much easier i think

Yeah I think I am going to have to take it out, problem is as I'm fairly tall it's quite far back on the rails, it'll be awkward to release the two bolts at the end of either rail. Oh well lol.

Fecking he11!!!!!!!! How'd you manage that???

That's a serious amount of stuff removed too. As for moving the seat, i can't help you mate. Sorry. Does the whole of the dash have to come out? Or are you just doing that to make it easier to fit the new engine?

Haha with a screwdriver, socket wrench and the knowledge that at the end of all this I'll have my favourite car back :D yeah I'm taking the whole dash out, the ECU is in a horrible place currently and also it'll make feeding the looms through much easier hopefully. I may think about replacing my dash too, the leather effect stuff is scruffy from the first time I ever took the dials out and ****ed it up :( I saw one on eBay a little while ago for about £60, if I can find another for a fair price then it'd be nice to get rid of the scuffs and dents

watch those dash mount tabs, they break easy!

Also, ECU is under passenger footwell, should be able to get to most of the ECU harness without taking the whole dash out?

thats in earlier models of accord ecu was under passengers side towel. in this accord ecu is under center console :)
I don't believe too, that it is necessary to take whole console out...I believe it should be easier way to get to it

watch those dash mount tabs, they break easy!

Also, ECU is under passenger footwell, should be able to get to most of the ECU harness without taking the whole dash out?

Already broken some before, they're a nightmare :( everything still holds together though!!

thats in earlier models of accord ecu was under passengers side towel. in this accord ecu is under center console :)
I don't believe too, that it is necessary to take whole console out...I believe it should be easier way to get to it

Yep you're quite right, it's tucked behind the centre console. It's so cramped back there I don't even want to try getting it out lol. At any rate I have looms to figure out and run through the bulkhead, so the dash is coming out. It's hassle now but it'll make the wiring easier hopefully

I believe you will need toextend wires of obd2-obd1 harness and put ecu like in older models... I think older ecu are bigger and will not fit in the same place like original... Can you measure original ecu dimensions after you'll take it out to confirm that?

I believe you will need toextend wires of obd2-obd1 harness and put ecu like in older models... I think older ecu are bigger and will not fit in the same place like original... Can you measure original ecu dimensions after you'll take it out to confirm that?

I have a P13 ECU and full OBDI harness from the BB4 Prelude so the adapter isn't needed luckily! But yeah you're right, the ECU is much larger which is why I want to relocate it. Does anyone know if you can get extension looms, with a female OBD socket one end and a male socket the other? I'm thinking ECU in the boot - a previous owner has socketed the ECU so I'd like to be able to change chips at the roadside to easily swap maps

there is not much use of changing chips in P13 because it is not really chippable. only few already made maps are available :)

You gonna change all wiring from ecu to engine? or i understood wrongly?

There's a bloke on another forum with two versions of a chip copied from a V1 and V2 spoon ECU, a V3 and V4 have apparently also been sourced but still need to be read and copied, so there's a bit of variation available!

Yeah I have the full loom from a Prelude, so for the engine I'm going to use the original loom through to the ECU. Not sure how it's going to pan out with all the interior electronics but the number one priority is getting the car running :)

What about the holes in the block? Looks like a grenade went off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still got that P28 in the garage....with software.... :lol: :lol: