What's new

Horses for courses?

freddofrog said:
I'm not sure what you're "thread" in this thread is Stephen.

I give up, you just keep on moving the goal posts and/or going off into tangential areas, just as you do in other threads
It might be better in the other thread, but around post 25 (I lose this post if I go search) it was mentioned that Euro 6 is the way forward to a cleaner world. As far as I gather this is an emphasis on the vehicle - more specifically engine/combustion - designers, starting with a fresh sheet, whilst the fuel suppliers take the back seat, when they should be actively limproving their product. Diesel is IMO being unfairly and deliberately victimiased, scorn poured onto the wrong target.

Specifically to this thread, the Honda owner presented with the bill has been told by the dealer it was the way she was driving, and to a certain extent they are correct. What is missing though is the option of filling with fuels that don't require DPF technology in the first place or are better suited to short town driving.

There was a challenge some ten years back where a small diesel vehicle ran rings around the competition, using methoxymethane (or blend of). It doubled the MPG with under 25% of the pollutants, but I would need to find it. Nothing since has come close and those that backed the competition - Esso, or Shell - buried the results soon after.

I think it's me that keeps quoting Euro 6.

With some minor differences between petrol and diesel, Euro 6 emission standards can be considered to put them on an equal footing at last.

The problem is that a diesel engine will require so much more maintenance under Euro 6, although, of course, neither the petrol or the diesel car is retested each year to see if it still meets Euro 6.