What's new

Noisy or Rattling timing chain

I'm not sure it is a chain... but IF it is a chain, then the noise will be far worse when the engine is fully hot and ticking over (revving to 1500RPM should raise the oil pressure enough for the hydraulic tensioners to take up the slack). Best to remove the aux belt and see if the noise remains, which would be a good indication that the problem is an engine chain.

Not my YT clip, but this is exactly how mine sounded like before the chains were replaced earlier this year (and the specific problem turned out to be a stretched cam chain and a worn cam chain tensioner arm)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KiPdyY59Hg

Jon_G said:
I'm not sure it is a chain... but IF it is a chain, then the noise will be far worse when the engine is fully hot and ticking over (revving to 1500RPM should raise the oil pressure enough for the hydraulic tensioners to take up the slack). Best to remove the aux belt and see if the noise remains, which would be a good indication that the problem is an engine chain.

Not my YT clip, but this is exactly how mine sounded like before the chains were replaced earlier this year (and the specific problem turned out to be a stretched cam chain and a worn cam chain tensioner arm)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KiPdyY59Hg

Sorry, not sure what is a chain ?

The engine was warmed up for this, should I rev to 1.5k and re post? Thanks

Jamie91 said:
chain is inside the engine, belt is the bit you can see

[but note that, to get confusing on things, some engines have a belt inside the engine, not a chain, but the 2.2 has a chain in the engine, as does the 2.4]

Jamie91 said:

The engine was warmed up for this, should I rev to 1.5k and re post? Thanks
Apologies. I meant that I'm not sure that the noise is one of the chains (there are two chains). Chain noise is a variable thing, depending upon which chain is noisy (although the cam chain is much longer than the oil pump/balancer chain, so will normally be the noisy one).

No need to repost, simply get someone to rev the engine slightly and see if the noise goes away. The horrible noise went away on mine when I did this.