What's new

REVIEW + DIY: Accord Type R Caliper Upgrade

Hi Lads

After getting the ATR break calipers, I was looking at break pads and am contemplating changing the disks as well and noticed that the ATR disks are 28mm in thickness whereas my Accord's are 25mm standard. I was wondering if ye went to the ATR's thickness or stayed with stock thickness?

Thanks
Gerard

I'd personally wouldn't any EBC pads and I know of at least one person that used yellow stuff on his ATR. We called them Brown stuff as they were that bad. I use DS2500's on my ATR.

Will our 2.2 i-ctdi front brake pads fit the type r calipers or would you need to buy type r pads as well?

As i understand i yout will need ATR pads, and 300mm discs which the diesel has. It should be mentioned in the thread somewhere.

You will need ATR pads, they are totally different to standard single piston pads.

Hi All, I am having difficulty sourcing ATR calipers, would the 8th Gen calipers fit easily and would they offer the same improvements? I know where to source some quite reasonably from a Dtec '09.

Thanks Guys

Hi All, I am having difficulty sourcing ATR calipers, would the 8th Gen calipers fit easily and would they offer the same improvements? I know where to source some quite reasonably from a Dtec '09.

Thanks Guys

Yes they will fit but you will only see an improvement with the 2.4 and dtec type S calipers as they are the only models that have the new twin pot design. Also you would need the bigger thicker discs from said models as well.

The ATR pads are the same as Dc2 pads...so the 2piston special pad vs single piston is not an issue! In fact with some research you will see that:

EBC ATR pad: DP3872C (main design pad number: 872) Witch is the same design pad for 282mm accord´s, civic 1.8vti, dc2, Legend 3.2 and 3.5, Crv b20b/z, nsx, Prelude with h22, Odyssey even the shuttle and stepwagon....

As for the swap...well one thing i discover is that total pressure at the disc (measured based on theoretic applied force with known pistons diameters) is greater on the dc2 caliper that the twin piston one...the main element in favour of this swap is that you go to a larger disc AND thicker!

You can use the calipers with a dc2 carrier to stick with 282mm discs, but like i said is not that useful, unless you have a single piston caliper with less than a 54mm piston! You can also accommodate your carrier to put the ticker disc of legend witch is 282mmx28mm....

Last option when using 4lug is re drill the bolt pattern 4x114 of your accord on to atr disc....some people will scream to unsafetyness or danger but it´s been done for years in the us, on track cars with no issues whatsoever...just make sure that it´s been done properly....

One only thing, check out the disc off-set you need! You have also the ep3 calipers, carriers and discs available!

Please do your math and calculate the area behind the pistons! Dc2 57mm and ATR 42mm/38mm! And based on your link you will see!

I know is not honda stuff but is mainly a great info to have:

http://www.teamscr.com/motorsports/tech-articles/34-braking-systemsin-plain-english.html

Hernani, I think we're talking about something different here. We're talking about the twin piston ATR caliper upgrade over the stock Accord 7th gen single piston caliper.

If you put the two pads side by side, the ATR pad is substantially larger than the stock Accord pad. Also I don't understand your argument about moving to a bigger disc size - the whole point of this mod is that you don't need to change discs!!

I don't really care what online info says, the proof is in the pudding and those of us that have done this mod can tell you the difference is amazing.

I know that your talking about the 7gen application of that caliper! And i did talk about other alternatives! Of course you will feel the difference between stock accord versus atr, you just said it, brake pad difference! More friction area!

But if you could put that same pad on a 57mm single piston caliper like the stock one you'll end up with more applied pressure...If you can apply the ATR calipers and carriers that means you can apply the DC2 ones...which came with the 57mm piston and the ''big pad''! Only draw back is the carrier...you still can have some 28T carriers(sames as legend and atr) to acomodate the 25mm oem disc! 25T can do also. Cardone as it!

I only tries to bring some info and possibilities for all of you guy,s don't want to be smart *** about it, i still do my fare share of mistakes,last one? make a road test without torquing the lug nuts...yeah i'm a dumb ***!!!

I will admit that most of my experience came from my years in Canada and you do have some 282mm discs and some upgrade on the diameter of the disc is use to be done. I don't go with the online info, i do my own research, i may be a noob in this forum but it's been years that i play with hondas, and i did my share of brake upgrades!

Hernani - I get what you are saying now and as CJ says, your point is very valid.

I see your point which is valid dude!! B) but we have 300mm front disc upfront and I have increase the tyre diameter and by using the generic calculation there is a very marginal gain , that gain is the initial bite which the stock brake caliper lacked.

the trade off of these ATR caliper is the initial bite is a massive improvement but where it does show concern is under massive and rapid deceleration where you can feel increased brake travel..a brake stopper can help that on our cars.

But you do have a valid point thou thanks for challenging it :D

BTW were you find a good brake stopper? I saw one in the member gallery but i think i have to custom made one...I'm so noob on welding, shame on me :lol:

Do the standard flexi hoses fit the ATR / Legend calipers or are custom needed?

Would you please tell me if there is a difference beetwen prelift and lift accord type r calipers/carriers?

Could you please tell me from what car can I get these calipers to fit on my 07 accord? Is it civic type R or S? Or does integra has same? Or something else? Thanks

Greg you need front calipers from the Accord Type R built from 99-02 (6th gen). Some people say the Legend caliper is also the same.

Thanks for quick reply Fahad. I'll have a trip to scrap yard tomorrow and we'll see what I can found. Thanks.

Some legends have the twin pots I think they are the 3.5ltr ones but dont quote me on that.

Just came back from scrap yard and they don't have any Type R but there is Legend but guy who work there said that these callipers are not the same. is any one who can confirm that they are same? I don't know what engine was in Legend. Thanks

little update about Legend calipers and what I found on the internet.
The ledgend caliper is mounted on the rear of the disc so when fitting Legend calipers to a honda with front mounting points it is a good idea to swap the caliper L to R. This will keep the bleed nipple in the correct location on the caliper, allowing it to be bleed properly. However this mean that the leading piston in the caliper now becomes the trailing piston.Another point to think about is the master cylinder.If running a very small stock master cylinder then simple physics will tell you that the piston in your small master cylinder will not be able to displace the required amount of fluid without significantly increasing pedal travel so does stock accord brake pump will be able to do that? did you guys noticed difference with pedal travel after fitting Type R calipers? Thanks.

No mate only the Type R in the Accord range.

Our CL9 car has 25mm thickness front discs compared with ATR 28 mm, is there any fitment issue there using the 25 mm with ATR calipers ?

No none at all, you can fit the thicker ATR spec discs if you want I had a set but didn't feel any better.

I see thanks I need to find ATR calipers first - any recommendation where to look for ?
And one more question, are the ATR calipers heavier than OEM ones ? If yes, by how much ?

No none at all, you can fit the thicker ATR spec discs if you want I had a set but didn't feel any better.
Thats usefull. I was just wondering if ATR's discs will fit, but it's not worth if there is no difference.