What's new

REVIEW + DIY: Accord Type R Caliper Upgrade

well I think there is a difference, thicker discs resists better to heat

I have a 2.0 2006 Type-s saloon accord bought in Cyprus (but made in the UK).

Does mine have the 300mm rotors?

I guess I can just measure them with a ruler? :D

Braking feels shhhit btw and I'm also looking into a way to improve it.

My mechanic recommended 8 piston! calipers with new drilled and slit discs (at a cost of 3500 Euro).

I just laughed..

He said that upgrading the pads alone won't do any noticeable difference, is he right?

adding to my own post, i just measured the discs and the seem to be 280mm.

what's the best (noticeable) upgrade I can do without changing discs too?

Adding my couple of cents, as I think I will be doing this upgrade on my Euro R (apparently can warp their discs easily). I have seen the dc2 owners doing this mod and discussing it as well.

Having had the same issue on 4th Gen prelude, replacing discs only to have another set of warped discs. The main advantage (for me) is being able to run a thicker disc, that will take more abuse. The twin pot design, helps with braking feel. It also helps distribute the force across the pad.

From what I have learn't about the legend calipers. You need the ones from the 3.5 (300mm) and not the 3.2 (282mm) - althought the 282 is good for itr owners as it has thicker discs. As said the caliper is mounted at the rear of the disc. So to run on the accord they need to be swapped over. However, it does not matter if the bleed nipple is at the top. It is important to have the correct size piston at the leading edge of the disc. Failure to do so can lead to uneven pad wear.

Hello.
So far I have discovered that when you get the ATR calipers it would be better to upgrade to type R brake discs,because the original discs for 7th generation you can get 300mm but only 25mm in thickness. Will that be a problem? The Type R discs are either 26mm in thickness or 28mm, however the central hub of this discs is 4mm bigger. Can anyone tell me what discs have they put and what pads as well, because they can vary in thickness as well. Thank you!

Guys, hopefully this thread is still open...
I have acquired Type R twin pot front calipers with carriers, yay!
Quick question: I have disassembled, shotblasted and powder coated but now not sure which carrier goes where, left or right?
Please can someone let me know if this matters, if so, are you able to give me press codes from each caliper carrier?
Thanks

brodziu said:
get yourself ATS calipers, then you can fit ATS discs which are 320mm x 32mm :)
Hi,

I need to upgrade my CM2 front brakes. What is the best choice ? ATR Gen6 or ATS Gen8 calipers? ATS disk are bigger & thicker but I've heard there is a poor choice for pads...

Someone did this, can't remember who. The 6th Gen ATR give improved breaking as it has twin pistons. It was a simple install and works with stock discs. However 8th Gen ATS gave better braking due to increase disc size, however the discs need replacing so there's potentially more cost there.