What's new

Tailgate issues

mb1357

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.2
Hi I have a 7th gen Honda with the dreaded problem with failure

Anyway Phoenix Honda in Manchester will sort it for me after ****ysing the error codes (I think its the locking mechanism or ecu)

Anyway what I did see last night was an interesting article about the warranty extensions on cars with this issue. Whilst this is now out of date it does give VIN numbers of cars affected

I cant seem to load a link but it you look on the Honda Karma forum web site its under Warranty Extension for Honda Accord Tourer: Power tailgate failure

If someone could upload this onto our site I am sure it will be of some use

It could actually be a broken wiring loom,
That's much more common than a failed ecu. I can probably diagnose this as part of the tuning and diagnostics when you book.

Checked wiring all fine as far as I can see including the hinge area where it is held within a plastic trough; the boot played up a couple of years ago and Honda did a strip down test and found nothing amiss ( I can tell they did it due to a number of broken fixing / lining clips and £90 invoice)

Did lubricate everything well and working at the moment ; we shall see

Going back to the warranty extension there was an ECU software update to correct a fault available however I ***ume this is only applicable to cars with the corresponding VIN

see: http://hondakarma.com/threads/warranty-extension-for-honda-accord-tourer-power-tailgate-failure.819/live

what were the symptoms when it wasn't working ?

e.g.

no operation at all, either using keyfob or the handle

or, started to open, bleeped, then shut itself again

or, started to open, bleeped, and just stayed where it was

or, something else

Works fine bleeps once opens and shuts: then sometimes the tailgate light will remain on the dash and nothing works no bleeps, nothing: only way then to get it going is a reset. Generally it's works fine for a few days then when I go to start the car the warning light is on: it never comes on whilst travelling only when ignition has been switched off. 2 fault codes found by diagnostics which point to rear lock mechanism:key fob and switch on the uderside of tailgate both don't work BTW when light is on but you can manually open the tailgate.

That description is unusual

I think I did see a fault similar to this on TA some time ago, and IIRC that person traced the fault to the locking mechanism (aka closer unit).

The other usual suspects are
1. slipping clutch in the motor mechanism (although the tailgate can usually re-close itself when this is the cause)
2. faulty tailgate motor or motor sensor
3. weak struts
4. wiring fault (you've already had a look, but it might be a wire that is broken inside its insulation so it cannot be seen, this also happens on flexible mains wiring)
5. faulty ECU

I would rank them in that order.

To check 1 and 2 and 3, give the tailgate a helping hand while it is lifting (and also when it starts to close). If that always works, then you have narrowed the fault. Weak struts will be obvious if the tailgate then struggles to stay up (once you have helped it to fully-open)

If "helping" it to open doesn't work, then I'd suspect 4 or 5, or as I say, maybe the "closer unit" itself (aka locking mechanism).

Thank you; having tested this am its either 4, 5 or the closer unit

I wonder if diagnostics could detect a faulty wire otherwise its a bit of a nightmare to try and locate

Will keep you posted; initial thoughts are to get replace the closer unit which is where diagnostics are pointing anyway

Best way to "fault find" the sort of issues you pinpoint, is using a Honda Diagnostic System (aka HDS, the one that I have is a Chinese clone from eBay).

In my own experience, any codes from the tailgate-ECU are potentially misleading, the best way of using the HDS is by using the "tailgate functional tests". See #17 and #18 in this thread
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19067-pesky-tourer-tailgate/?p=208690

Asking a dealer to connect their HDS and run those functional tests could cost you a small fortune, instead you could also try a good auto-electrician, circuit diagrams and locations are #8 and #9 in this thread (but read the whole thread as well)
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13156-another-tailgate-problem-tourer/

NB Just noticed that a silver latch at the bottom of the closer unit was very stiff: given it a good spray of silicone and it now is a lot freer: currently working

The latch is at the bottom of sender unit near a white round thing; looks like the manual release but isn't who knows going for a lie down

My wife reckons its creating a borderline personality disorder in me :blink:; joking apart it has opened ok today and the catch I talked about appears firmly locked in position; maybe it wasn't locking before which allowed me to wiggle and lubricate it?? keep you posted

have you read all the way through "pesky tourer tailgate" ?
it might simply be the handle getting jammed

Pleased to say it's working fine so it was the sticking catch on the tailgate closer mechanism: worth periodically greasing/lubricating