What's new

2.4 type s tourer boot lid

No I don't totally agree, and in that other thread that you found, the OP never found a fix.

But, from other input in that thread, and from the sterling job you have done so far, it cannot be anything else ;)

If I had a good multi-channel storage oscilloscope I could hook up and check out the timings ....that would be better effort spent than having hooked up the Honda HDS ...the latter seems as much use as a chocolate fireguard for this particular tailgate issue LOL

Well my conclusion was it can't be anything else. But it may just be a case everything from the motor to the gas struts to hinges and lock mechanism just aren't as efficient as new and a culmination of all this results in the problems we are having.
But then again individually testing yhe gas struts seem perfect and so does the motor.
Will have to wait and see till the weekend now unfortunately.

That's it I've fallen out with it!
So stripped the locking mechanism there are 6 contacts in total spread across 2 sensors. I cleaned the lock mechanism it's self and re-greased.
Unfortunately no difference again but I could hear a juddering noise coming from the motor side of things.
So off with the motor again! A complete strip down again and noticed the shaft was very stiff. So I stripped it all the way down to the electronic clutch, cleared all grease and re applied. Everything moved a little easier.
After a serious inspection I'm now convinced it's the clutch slipping and then causing the tailgate to shut again. Everything else was perfect, smooth, greased and no wear marks.
I wonder if possibly a lack of grease and maintenance has caused the clutch to wear out? Probably why it's in the service manual.

After the rebuild it did open and close 12 times in a row then after I left it for 5minutes it stopped working again

I have been reading this thread with interest as my car has the exact same problem you guys have. I am going to change the gas struts the way I see it as you say the boot on a hill made a differance so the weight must have changed my guess is the struts my have weakened just a small amout. As we all know if you give the boot a little help it opens fine and closes fine and locks ok. So wish me luck and I will let you guys know what happeneds. I called these guys but they need the OEM part number http://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/honda/accord/filter/mk_8/2004/ half the cost of honda dealer . I am taking the car in for a recall on 8th so I will get the OEM numbers from them and order the parts.

Adam, you really are an absolute star on this, and I mean that very sincerely.

I always felt that, with mine, it could turn out as annoying as yours has, which is why I've never bothered with it (but I don't mean to pour acid or cold water onto everything that you've done).

You are probably right about the clutch, it's not something that I had considered, I always felt that the motor itself would get "strained" over time e.g. a slight deterioration in the armature in the motor, causing a reduced initial torque.

btw I really do dread removing interior trim on these cars, I had a tow-bar fitted in 2008 and I can see where the chap removed and refitted the trim to get a power cable down the RHS of the car (he picked up the main feed from the under-dash fuse box). When I removed the tow-bar a few years later, I pulled the wire out and tried to refit the trim a bit better, but I couldn't. Only I can see where the trim was lifted, but IMO trim is only perfect when it leaves the factory and never goes back the same again.

Is it also like that when removing the motor ?
i.e. is it possible to get everything back the same as when it left the factory ?

Honestly I've had the trim off 3 times and you can't tell. I haven't broken a clip or anything. I used a childs plastic knife instead of a trimming tool to prize it off at first then just work along the plastic until you fell resistance and just have faith and pull. If you pull as close to the clips as you can i don't think you'll have any problems. Just when going back together pay attention to where the separate parts of plastic trim clip back together.

To get the motor out I remove the centre piece along the back then the back left pillar, you'll also have to pull the black bottom trim off slightly as the pillar hooks in. Then just release the left hand rear pillar (it helps with getting the head lining down) and away you go.
You have to remove the bracing piece held up with 5 12mm bolts. Then at this point remove the circlip holding the arm onto the hinge. On the right hand side of the motor there are 3 10mm bolts holding the motor to a bracket then on the left there are 2 12mm bolts holding the rest up. There are 3 plugs to disconnect these are very fiddly especially the 2 close to the ecu but do able. And the whole thing should pull out.

I'm pretty sure you won't have many problems mate I never work on cars normally I just don't have the patience but I have done an awful lot of work on motorbikes. If the trim is all that is holding you back then definately go for it. I'd love to get hold of another clutch and try it as the motor seems perfect and the internal mechanism is faultless in my opinion.

I myself hadn't considered there even being a clutch in the motor untill i stripped it first time but once you strip it down you'll see 2 black cables providing the 12v feed.

Just found this quote on the other thread.

"hello just quick thing to mention ive asked my dad who works for honda and asked him,common things with these tailgates are the clutch in the motor,or the tailgate struts itself,they are a common thing and my dad as changed loads,to check if the struts are up to the job just open the tailgate to the maximum opening and if the tailgate drops down it may be worn tailgate struts,but it may have worn the clutch on the motor itself so it may need both part
hope this help in anyway"

Seems pretty bang on, wonder if you can get a replacement clutch

some useful info there (albeit the nemesis of TA LOL) :lol:

However, note that that thread is from 3 years ago, so 7th-gen pre-facelifts will no longer be covered (and maybe 7th-gen facelifts too)

what really bugs me about Honda dealers is that most of them are not really any better than Renault dealers. It's Honda UK that is better i.e. if one is not happy with a Honda dealer, Honda UK is often known to give the dealer a prod. But, one has to know about the various service bulletins in the first place ....a veritable case of Catch 22 !!!

I have heard about this tailgate TSB before, a coupe of years ago on this forum, indeed I think that one person got their Tailgate motor swapped. But back in 2009-2011 when I kept mentioning the tailgate to my dealer I did not know about it. All they ever told me was that there were no DTC's. I gave up with dealers completely in 2011. If I had known about the TSB then I would have got the dealer to do something about it, indeed I think that one of the people at the service desk did know know about it, their body-language out of the corner of my eye seemed to indicate that they wanted to butt in but chose not to, when I was discussing the tailgate with someone else.

So ....if you fancy taking out the motor and finding a way of "cleaning" the clutch, if I ever win the Euromillions I'll give several thousand in reward for heroic effort :eek:

Haha ye and they only extended the warranty to 100k miles.
I've had the clutch out and it's a completely sealed unit. I doubt any messing around will solve that. I think we need a second hand motor but I'd say from 2005 above. They seem to have fixed the problem with the clutch after then.

It just kills me as the motor is perfect just a small bit of an electric clutch seems to be the issue :-(

Haha if I ever win the euro millions I'll replace every single accord tourer tailgate motor free of charge. Nobody should have to go through this. I won't be able to settle till it's fixed now :-(

I wouldn't no what to immerse it in. I can only imagine the friction plate would be knackered now also? Any idea wether you could get a separate clutch?

I wouldn't no what to immerse it in. I can only imagine the friction plate would be knackered now also? Any idea wether you could get a separate clutch?

Goldberg said:
motor ***y £803.00 holy ***** yes I am going to try the struts first

^ before you do the struts, the link in #39 is brief, but from what I know about these damned tailgates, the link is 100% correct in the way it ***ociates symptoms with causes

I've put the images from #45 below (click on an image to get full size)

tailgate_parts.jpg

tailgate_motor.jpg

Adam, I have a question on the above image .....where is the clutch LOL

Can you see the output shaft on the motor? It's just behind that. The motor turns a gear that is connected to a shaft this shaft is engaged by the clutch onto the output shaft. You cannot see the clutch in that diagram you would need an exploded view of the motor

and it can be removed from the motor but it's sealed ?

if so, then I wonder how grease gets in (I do believe that is what happens)

This is the motor side of the clutch once you remove this 2 screws the whole clutch unit pulls out

yeah I can see it in the next picture in your photobucket

20150403_153410_zps4swzavcz.jpg

hanging down, the clutch is in the left part, sealed as you say ?

The bit hanging down isn't the clutch. The clutch is in the first picture. The bit hanging is the shaft connected onto the motor

I only took those pictures for my own benefit I should of taken a few more. I will next time it's off

ok, got it.

I am tempted to take mine out as well, but not for a few weeks, got other things higher up the to-do list LOL

Well I've spoilt myself to a second hand motor ***embly for £50 from a 2006 tourer. I'll do some pictures and a strip down of my old motor once it's out and help track down a possible replacement clutch for yourself

NW Leicestershire, a few miles from the east end of the A50 (M1 jn 24) ...so A50 all the way to M6, then up the M6 to Preston

Several days ago I checked how far I am from Preston, 116 miles :eek:

Haha well you're more than welcome to make the trip when I swap mine over. I bought my car from Leicester! Seems to have spent all its life down that neck of the woods.
I'll strip my old motor down again with pictures but I'm unsure what to even try and do with the clutch