What's new

Inlet manifold de-coke (2 Cars done)

His injectors will be firing better now that the afr is meeting the requested values much easier

Jon_G said:
You don't get pinking (pre-detonation) on a diesel.,, and the timing chain won't get noisier under load. But I can't offer an alternative explanation as to why it might be quieter.
Thank you Jon for correcting me....I'm no technical expert....but the engine is definitely running better...more power....and less noise especially under load...guess that's when the noise increases on most engines. Given what we cleared out its obvious that performance will improve....bit like a lung transplant !

Be interested to hear TypeR's experience....or any one else who takes the plunge....perhaps we should have a competition to see who can get the most gunk out of their manifold !

Thanks again for the feedback.

Simon1602 said:
Thank you Jon for correcting me....I'm no technical expert....but the engine is definitely running better...more power....and less noise especially under load...guess that's when the noise increases on most engines. Given what we cleared out its obvious that performance will improve....bit like a lung transplant !

Be interested to hear TypeR's experience....or any one else who takes the plunge....perhaps we should have a competition to see who can get the most gunk out of their manifold !

Thanks again for the feedback.
ha ha

well i'm doing this on the weekend hopefully. Looking forward to it tbh. Just worried about these fuel rails and getting leaks after

TypeR said:
ha ha

well i'm doing this on the weekend hopefully. Looking forward to it tbh. Just worried about these fuel rails and getting leaks after
Give yourself plenty of time believe me that junk took one hell of a lot of cleaning out!

Re the fuel pipes be careful not to over tighten them....if they don't seal first time take back off and try to reseat.

Make sure you take some pictures!

Don't worry too much about those high pressure pipes, just keep the ends clean and give joints a good wipe with clean kitchen roll as you reassemble them.

I'm interested in hearing about the economy improvements you might be getting.

Simon1602 said:
Give yourself plenty of time believe me that junk took one hell of a lot of cleaning out!

Re the fuel pipes be careful not to over tighten them....if they don't seal first time take back off and try to reseat.

Make sure you take some pictures!
For sure mate, plenty of pics. My car has 108k on it so thinking it will have some gunk in there.

Not too worried about of the fuel lines now after what you said. Any other tips?

Jon_G said:
Don't worry too much about those high pressure pipes, just keep the ends clean and give joints a good wipe with clean kitchen roll as you reassemble them.

I'm interested in hearing about the economy improvements you might be getting.
Thanks for that Jon, like i said thats my only concern. Other than that I can strip it down.

Well hoping to strip down on Saturday evening and then leave it overnight for a soak in some coke

TypeR said:
For sure mate, plenty of pics. My car has 108k on it so thinking it will have some gunk in there.

Not too worried about of the fuel lines now after what you said. Any other tips?
Carefully scrape out as much as you can with a long screwdriver

Plenty of brushes....tooth brushes x 3, a cheap stiff wheel brush small and large if you can for ports

Latex gloves a plenty

Selection of cleaning agents....solvents and degreasers I used neat G101

Hose connected to a hot water supply....the hotter the better

I think if I did again I might try overnight soak in petrol rather than coke.....with perhaps a few hours in the coke before.

I used a large painters bucket to soak the manifold....make sure you have one big enough and also enough fluid to cover the manifold fully

Brake cleaner x 3 cans for swirl valve, sensor etc

Old microfibres as many as you have

Take care cleaning the ports on the engine side

Good luck buddy!

Simon1602 said:
Carefully scrape out as much as you can with a long screwdriver

Plenty of brushes....tooth brushes x 3, a cheap stiff wheel brush small and large if you can for ports

Latex gloves a plenty

Selection of cleaning agents....solvents and degreasers I used neat G101

Hose connected to a hot water supply....the hotter the better

I think if I did again I might try overnight soak in petrol rather than coke.....with perhaps a few hours in the coke before.

I used a large painters bucket to soak the manifold....make sure you have one big enough and also enough fluid to cover the manifold fully

Brake cleaner x 3 cans for swirl valve, sensor etc

Old microfibres as many as you have

Take care cleaning the ports on the engine side

Good luck buddy!
Thanks for the list dude. Not a had a chance today as my brother has had the car all day. Looking like it will be next week now unless I get time tomorrow.

Don't worry will definitely be doing this as i'm sure the Accord will benefit from it

What do you think to this for cleaning?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCjO8JThVpo[/media]

and an extreme method

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIijYgvxW0g[/media]

Nothing wrong with the Mr Muscle as far as I can see....soak over night in petrol, pressure or hose out....hot water....then see what you are left with....perhaps try oven cleaner next?

Not to keen on the extreme method though

Fast, smooth and quiet....very pleased with it...like a new car.....always wanted a sleeper and that's exactly what it is

Longer run tomorrow which will be more revealing.

Only trouble is it needs a clean on the outside now

[SIZE=10.5pt]So I had a bit of time today and decided to take this on. First up a snap shot of the engine as is:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_150930_zpslelkyo2p.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The products I bought to clean the inlet and pipework[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_151052_zpse7zf1pz9.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Up next was to remove the inlet to clean it, first off engine cover off[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_151444_zpsncnrmf9n.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]One set of fuel lines removed:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_154003_zps5apibkit.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Begin to now start taking all the wiring off:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_154011_zpsin73iicj.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Next up was unplugging the injectors[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_154016_zpseoo5ngop.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Manifold is now off:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164824_zps4ommrjkd.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]After removing the throttle and all other pipework I was then able to remove the inlet Manifold itself. As you can see its quite dirty[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164715_zpsqqmtlkf0.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164721_zpsduj9mces.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Definitely see the carbon build up but not as bad as I thought:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164727_zpspx3bitb2.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164731_zpsqd8traqo.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164740_zpsozwsplf0.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The ports themselves where the throttle sits:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164746_zpscgehr8ub.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Now to the car and its ports[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164804_zpslqffttf4.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ports are quite coked up[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164809_zps63r5r1zt.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Close up of one of the inlet ports on the engine:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164814_zpstqeozgoh.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_164818_zpskbgm5c8r.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The cleaning begins:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Scraped out with a screw driver[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_165956_zpsz4q2gwaj.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So to clean the actual inlet manifold I decided to use Mr muscle over cleaner:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_170201_zpsgshcvfrz.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Beginning to take effect[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_170205_zps2tog3gh9.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Throttle was quite dirty too:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_170440_zpsjyliowsv.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Everything now just sitting there and the over cleaner taking its affect. I did this process 3 times and used my pressure washer to actually blast the dirt out[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_174057_zps44daigxt.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Ports now cleaned out, used a screw driver and a vacuum cleaner to ensure no bits fell through.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_174112_zps8z5ufdq5.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_174116_zpsabaxcfdf.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So after a great deal of soaking and using the pressure washer this was my result and really happy if i'm honest.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_181022_zps9ftgu5mb.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_181027_zpsswdemris.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_181032_zpsil2nmujn.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_181039_zps3kdmxzoe.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_181045_zpswnytuku2.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]
20141019_181050_zpsvnokkivs.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Once all cleaned I used my air tools to dry off and then used a hair dryer to be safe. Once reassembled I was dreading the process of starting it. Took a fair few turns but eventually fired up with a puff of diesel smoke. It was because the fuel rail was empty and needed to pass the air through.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Took the car on a long run and have noticed it does drive better and sounds nicer too. Hoping no air left in the system but overall really impressed with this job. Definitely a job that should be done on all diesels with a few miles. Mine has 110k on now so things like this bring it back to life.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Big shout out to Simon for doing the original thread and inspiring me to do this.[/SIZE]

The Mr Muscle option was really good and only really took me about an hour to do. Not 100% clean but definitely better than what was there.

Comments welcome guys

TypeR said:
The Mr Muscle option was really good and only really took me about an hour to do. Not 100% clean but definitely better than what was there.

Comments welcome guys
Good job buddy...interesting to see Mr Muscle finding a new use....anticipating a run :)

Just keep an eye on the fuel pipes I left the engine cover off and checked a few times...all seems well now so will refit.

Took mine on a run today and running well...no issues from the swirl valve which I did have..and good all round performance.

Yes think fuel lines ok, took it for an initial run and then checked all lines and all was fine.

Do see an improvement, car just feels smoother on the mways and pulls better. Held it in some gears to ensure the air has passed through the rail.

The bottom botls were a pain to get to, didnt realise there is a water line connected, just needed to push the bottom cooler down slighly to get to the bolts

Also i just moved my fuel rail to the side, didn't unhook. Did try to but it wasn't budging so just moved it softly.

Simon thank you for this writeup and hope more members use. Recommend everyone just adds to this

Edited the ***le also, will continue to do this each time a member does this

Shab excellent work!

Funnily enough we did my dads hyundai i20 last night.. didn't leave the garage till 530am!! But what a job.

We took out 5 years of inlet muck and blanked off the egr so it never happens again.

I didn't tell dad what we did.. He drove it today and said what the hell has happened to the car it's like a new car it's so fast :)

Shab bring it over one day I have new laser cut blanking plates now we can manually blank off the egr to guarantee this stays clean forever.

Thanks Fahad, it was a labor intensive job but well worth it.

Wow, 5.30am not had one of them for a long time :). I totally agree it makes such a difference cleaning all the dirt out of the system. Bet your dad thought you'd super charged it or something :)

Definitely pop over some time and we can tinker with the Accord.

BTW picked the beemer up from Captain today, as ever an amazing job on the paintwork. Even had the fog lamps sanded/compounded and re lacquered, just makes the car look so much better.

^^ Time to tune the Beemer too ;)

Nice work fella!

It's cleaning the inlet ports that would worry me the most, as it must be tough to get out all the loose bits afterwards?

Jon_G said:
Nice work fella!

It's cleaning the inlet ports that would worry me the most, as it must be tough to get out all the loose bits afterwards?
use a vaccum cleaner when cleaning them, it sucks all dirt out of the port.

So whos the next member to take this on.

To give you an update, car has been fine and has been driving fine since. Have noticed better and smoother power delivery and pulls better at lower revs. Overall well worth it for me. Thinking about taking on my Sisters Civic diesel and doing this.

Sounds similar to me, especially the lower revs element....cruising on the motorway in 5th the pick up when you accelerate is significantly improved....

Next job new rear tyres, plus front headlights....can't believe how poor oem are....

After, say, 1500 miles or so I recommend taking off the engine cover and checking the high pressure injector pipework for signs of weeping... I had a look at mine in the week and I had a slight issue on one of the connections onto an injector. I pulled the connector up a tad tighter and wiped the fuel stain off, but I'll have to check it again in a month or so.