What's new

Inlet manifold de-coke (2 Cars done)

Turbo leaking oil?

Sorry to interject but I'd like to update you post decoke and a nice test drive.

I'm just back good drive over familiar roads, the first proper one since my decoke and the throttle response has really improved across the whole range. Acceleration is definitely quicker and part throttle responses are crisper. Cruising also seems to need less of the loud pedal and I reckon I'm seeing an extra set of eco lights.

Over the best part of a 50 mile drive the average MPG looked to have improved, even though I hoofed it a few more times than normal. It's a bit warmer than it has been of late so I'll do some tank to tank calc's to confirm this. But overall things are looking very good indeed.

If anyone is wondering about a decoke then I'd say go for it, especially if you've clocked up a few miles. For comparison I've just rolled over 103k and the car has responded really well to an inlet clean.

Cheers, Farq's

PS: there is one down side...if your car is on the OEM clutch and has had a remap, then clutch slip comes in more often. Which is clearly a sign that I need to get my finger out and get the clutch uprated, its time to flex the CC.

After seeing the crap that was built up last night when Fahad , removed the egr pipe thingybob :eek:

He said there was a thread about removal of manifold - read it this morning and cracked on taking it off.

3 hours and lots of swearing later , I have removed it and is currently soaking in oven cleaner!

Have took some decent photos before I scraped the heavy carbon out with a screwdriver - got a about a mug full!

Have dropped one of the bolts in engine bay- its like a black hole - disappeared forever!

took off front of plastic under-tray , but still cannot see it.

Will post pictures of manifold etc, when completed.

Nice work mate, yes give it a good clean and you should be good. Defo look for the bolt but i know what you mean. Things get lost very easily in that engine bay. I have a magnetic pickup tool which really helps

I like it when people take my advice;)

Advise please people !

Hey i am really paranoid about using old intake manifold gasket? :unsure:

I know you can spray them with hight temp paint , but is it worth the risk?

Or do you use a RTV type sealant?

Have ordered a teng tools 3/8 drive , as broke my 1/4 inch rachet :angry: and 1/2 drive was too big! so not in a mad rush to put it back together.

But have a old pre tdi turbo Land rover and intake manifold leak caused weak mixture then hot spot and then disintigrated head gasket!

I would not like to imagine the 'mare it would be to take Honda head off! - at least you can sit in engine bay of Landy :)

Think the part number is 17105RBDE01 can get a non genuine part off flea bay for £20 .

Can someone give me a link to a genuine honda parts supplier , if you think i need one? Or am i being Paranoid :eek: ??

Also does anyone know the correct torque seting for the manifold bolts - or is it just tight, but not snap ?

Many Thanks to anyone who can help/ease my mind !

Jonny.

Always a good idea to use a new gasket Jonny

I don't know torque settings but yes tight and nip all bolts evenly as if you are doing head bolts and spread the load so the gasket has even pressure across it

Cheers for promt reply Fahad. :D

Can anyone point me in direction of paarts supplier- cannot seem to find gasket other than e-bay?

Does everyone here use holcraft honda?

And can you just order gasket from them ?

Really like to order it tonight if anyone can help ?

Holdcroft is our affiliated dealer. They give us a discount to members

Put all the bits back together today, and fired the car up, works fine :)

Have took some pictures of before and after to compare other carbon deposits, as my car has done 75k and have put expensive fuel since i owned it @ 60k.

Will post them when i work out how!

Does the car feel better?

Certainley be less messy :D still trying to clean bits of carbon off my decking and paving slabs!

Car has been in bits as doing brake over-hall, so not sure about performance as not actually drove it yet.

Will get before and after pics up , asap.

But as Fahad tuned car as well , will be difficult for me to work out if loads better.

But when you see pictures , it simply must be, as restricted exhaust flow due to soot /carbon build up has to make a difference.

But that terraclean might be good for petrol injectors , but not so sure regarding inlet manifold for a petrol engine.

Great write up , may have a pop at this tomorrow two questions :-

1 . Is there likely to be much pressure within the fuel rail when the lines are released ?

2. I shall be going right through from EGR to manifold Is non residue switch cleaner / contact cleaner ok clean the MAF and Map sensors with ?

Ron.

In terms of pressure i didn't feel a great deal when i took it off. Took to to restart though when put back togeother

Finally got my photos up regarding de-coke.

My car has done 74k, had one owner and FHSH , have changed and serviced it about 4 times and have done 16k so far.

Always used premium diesel when possible, and spend 75% of my time in traffic lights!

Mine seemed pretty bad compared with some people's:

http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/jonnyacarroll/slideshow/Accord/Accord

Took about 3 hours to clean off all the soot- used 2 cans of oven cleaner and a special high pressure swirl nozzle on jetwash - really helped with the clean.

Used wire-wool to remove some of the fiddly parts and carb cleaner, then made sure no residue left, and bone dry.

Also sprayed inlet manifold in high temp black to keep temps down :p and radiate more heat for denser air temp :D well it looked nice.

Only annoying thing was 1/2 drive was too big , and 1/4 inch too weak to crack off some of the nuts (bust ratchet).

Ordered a 3/8 teng tools kit in end (needed an excuse !) and found it just the right size.

Also dropped a manifold bolt , and never found it again- really easy to have bolt fall off .

When ***embling I used new gasket for inlet (part number PFKL348435 ) £20 and 1 new bolt :angry:

Also put some duct tape in socket , and physically pushed bolt in before ***embly- it don't just fall off then if you touch something and certainly helped me in re-***embly.

Pushed a little bit of lint free rag in each of head manifold ports , and used a old 1/4 wide screwdriver , which I heated then bent 90 degree's to make a scraping crevice type tool.

Pulled a lot of residue out of head as you can hopefully see in photos - just took ages.

Did find torque setting for inlet manifold, but could only get to a few of them so just used experience I suppose, but with new gasket I did not really worry .

No pressure in fuel lines for me , and once put back together , just cranked it up and started no worries. :D

Left insulating cover off for a few days to see if high pressure lines leaked, but all fine.

Just order a gasket before you start,as I forgot and was out of action for a few days :(

The most time consuming part is undoubtedly the cleaning! just start first thing in the morning , and it should be back together by evening!

Hope this helps a little bit :)

Nice writeup mate. How does the car feel now? Never thought about the heat spray, let us know if there is a difference.

Wahabishtiaq do keep some photos of this. Have to agree some bolts are a real pain but still worth doing.

After bring some tools home from work to do a cambelt on a clio on saturday i decided to whip the inlet off the accord and im glad i did as the car has just ticked over 225000

Took the parts to work this morning to give it all a good clean in the parts wash. Then blown out with the steam cleaner more digging then back in the wash i pretty much got it all out. All back up together and running nice :)

Thanks for sharing. Just goes to show exactly why egr valves are a bad idea. All that gunk is build up of egr soot going back into the inlet.

That some serious mileage you have done. Just shows the diesel accord can take the miles

Egr valves are a very bad idea could not believe how bad it was. The engine is a lot smoother and pulls alot better in the gears. My accord i brought just over three years ago with 209 on the clock all motorway miles. All chains etc i replaced last year. Runs and drives spot on never had a issue yet.

Exactly the reason we offer an egr off solution.

I dont think i'm brave enough to take my manifold apart but would happily pay anyone offering to do it for me. Now with 149 on the clock I think it would be a good idea.

f2raf said:
I dont think i'm brave enough to take my manifold apart but would happily pay anyone offering to do it for me. Now with 149 on the clock I think it would be a good idea.
having said this, how difficult s it! do I need to buy any back up spares / gaskets ? any special tools? If i try this over a weekend, I need my car for work on a Monday.

I would like to give this a go, I've read through the entire thread but on the pics can't see exactly where all bolts etc need to be removed from when taking of fuel rail and manifold. If there is a video anywhere of the removal that will be really useful.