What's new

Inlet manifold de-coke (2 Cars done)

Really impressed guys, job well done!! Tempted to tackle mine as well. Although i own the car exactly one week, the idea of how dirty the inlet mani is gives me sleeps nights! :D How long did you guys needed for dis and reassembly? Since i don`t have a private garage or shack i`m thinking to do this at work, where i have access to professional jet washer, liquid vacuum cleaner and of course big range of strong thinners and removers. I estimate a full day`s work (8ish hours) will suffice?

DiD said:
Really impressed guys, job well done!! Tempted to tackle mine as well. Although i own the car exactly one week, the idea of how dirty the inlet mani is gives me sleeps nights! :D How long did you guys needed for dis and reassembly? Since i don`t have a private garage or shack i`m thinking to do this at work, where i have access to professional jet washer, liquid vacuum cleaner and of course big range of strong thinners and removers. I estimate a full day`s work (8ish hours) will suffice?
I would agree a days work although I split that over two days to let the soaking process work it's way through....

If you have the right products then 8 hours is more than enough.

For me im impressed with all the smoothness of the engine and its reduced the diesel clutter at low revs.

I checked over my fuel lines and all seems fine.

Did you guys replace the gaskets as well or just clean them? Planning to inspect my EGR valve, which I've already cleaned couple months ago, and clean manifold on sunday.

TypeR said:
The principal can be applied to both petrol and diesel
I would hope that the inlet manifold of a petrol does not look like those did before they were cleaned :eek:

Oh dear. Just finished mine and it took about 9 hrs to complete it all alone. But it was worth it.
Pressure washer and Mr Muscle did a stunning job. In fact I used 2 cans of Mr Muscle and and 2 cans of some random brake cleaner. There was so much junk in the manifold that the passages were about a half of the size as they should be and I didn't stop until they all shined like new.

Some pics:

Last picture isn't the final outcome, but it should give some idea how much gunk a manifold collects in 10 years.

matsalka said:
Oh dear. Just finished mine and it took about 9 hrs to complete it all alone. But it was worth it.
Pressure washer and Mr Muscle did a stunning job. In fact I used 2 cans of Mr Muscle and and 2 cans of some random brake cleaner. There was so much junk in the manifold that the passages were about a half of the size as they should be and I didn't stop until they all shined like new.

Some pics:

Last picture isn't the final outcome, but it should give some idea how much gunk a manifold will collect in 10 years.
Good job buddy....your can breath freely

Nice job mate, Mr Muscle does seem to do a good job. I used about 2 cans also.

Have you got the car back up and running? Mine took a fair few turns to start but once it got there it was fine. Got me worried but I knew the old girl would fire lol.

For me the hardest bots were the bolts under the manifold, they were very awkward to get to.

knowing a diesel; as I've owned one, it would coke up far quicker than a dear Petrol, but for 10 years gunk build-up it's not disastrous, good job! ;)

TypeR said:
Nice job mate, Mr Muscle does seem to do a good job. I used about 2 cans also.

Have you got the car back up and running? Mine took a fair few turns to start but once it got there it was fine. Got me worried but I knew the old girl would fire lol.

For me the hardest bots were the bolts under the manifold, they were very awkward to get to.
Quite a long cranking was needed indeed and then slowly it started, but that's all normal because of the air inside fuel lines.
I used a ratchet wrench with an extension and a magnet tip for almost all bolts there. A bit tricky, but doable :)

Had some more time today to do some test driving and as far as I can tell - pulls like never before on low revs. Definitely recommend this for every diesel owner!

matsalka said:
Quite a long cranking was needed indeed and then slowly it started, but that's all normal because of the air inside fuel lines.
I used a ratchet wrench with an extension and a magnet tip for almost all bolts there. A bit tricky, but doable :)

Had some more time today to do some test driving and as far as I can tell - pulls like never before on low revs. Definitely recommend this for every diesel owner!
I totally agree, the car pulls better after this. I highly recommend this for all diesel owners at some point.

freddofrog said:
I would think that their cars should have it done too :lol:
Yes they need to look at the car at some point too lol

Damn, I really need to do this as well. Very nice write up, I feel bit more confident now that I see it done step by step. I did some DIY on basic cleaning some time ago but never had the courage to take on removing fuel lines and inlet manifold. Looks like a busy 2015 for me and my honda, my wife has already started to look very suspiciously at me :)
Thanks for such a great info guys!

Nice one mate. Yes not as hard as you think and results are good. Just be gentle with fuel lines and you'll be fine.

Do keep is updated and post pics on this thread.

Hi everyone, Fahad put me on to this thread as he thought it might help an issue with my Civic derv.

History: The ol'gal has started smoking on cold starts and hazes under hard acceleration whilst cruising. During her stage 1 remap, Celtic thought the hazing/over fueling was caused by the MAF sensor starting to fail. These issues started before the remap, mapping just puts more pressure on the the issue. She drinks V-Power and had a full service with Honda filters before visiting Cornwall. Recently Fahad has done a full HDS diagnostic and didn't find an obvious failure anywhere but thought an IMRC clean would help.

This guide has been very helpful and no doubt helped me get the job done quicker, so a big thanks to all.

The IMRC wasn't too dirty

farqui-albums-farqui%27s+mod%27s-picture20777-decoke-imrc-before.jpg

Inlet manifold before

farqui-albums-farqui%27s+mod%27s-picture20809-decoke-inlet-manifold-before.jpg

After

farqui-albums-farqui%27s+mod%27s-picture20825-decoke-inlet-manifold-after.jpg

I've posted a few pic's and more info over on Civinfo;
I'm not sure the decoke has fixed/eased my issues yet as I haven't driven her anywhere since. I'll report back later once I've clocked up a few miles and maybe even run a tank of fuel through to compare mpg.

Fahad's diag did show a couple of injectors were being compensated for but not overly so (1 of 5, not sure of the scale).

If I'm no further nearer a fix then I guess I'm either going to need to replace the MAF (and MAP?) sensor and/or have a look at the injectors, both expensive options.

If anyone has an experience of my issue and how to fix it, then I'm listening...

Thanks again, Farq's

Hi mate, I would try an Egr blank and map first. You may have an egr leak.. I know it passed the functional test but that won't detect a minor leak as it can only check the actuator movement of the valve.

F6HAD said:
Hi mate, I would try an Egr blank and map first. You may have an egr leak.. I know it passed the functional test but that won't detect a minor leak as it can only check the actuator movement of the valve.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about option 3) the EGR valve.

First I want to pop off the under tray and have a good look around for leaks, especially the exhaust manifold. Will let you know how I get on.

#sigh

I spent almost the entire weekend just gone doing this, what with all the crud that was in there.. But a much healthier feeling car for it! Pulling is much better in all gears, most noticeable from stationary.

Great guide and can't recommend this enough. For anyone interested my car is on 172,000..

Nice work guys. Glad it helped you guys. Do put pics up and feedback

Tdutton said:
I spent almost the entire weekend just gone doing this, what with all the crud that was in there.. But a much healthier feeling car for it! Pulling is much better in all gears, most noticeable from stationary.
Great guide and can't recommend this enough. For anyone interested my car is on 172,000..
Great work buddy....lookin forward to seeing the pictures

okay, so as i said in my previous post I carried this out last weekend. What i didn't mention was a split one of the manifold bolts on re-***embly.. so, ordered the bolt from honda this week and just taken it all apart again and refitted, once again all is well with the car. However, it was quite interesting to see what had built up in just 1 week..

So the ports to three cylinders appeared fine, dry and not much build up of soot at all, which is to be expected given the clean only a week ago! Not sure how the cylinders are numbered 1-4 left or right (so i could be referring to cylinder 1 or 4) but either way, its the one closest to the EGR valve im talking about! Anyway, the ports through to this cylinder were extremely wet with what looked almost like old oil. I can only ***ume this deposit is a mixture of fuel and exhaust gas? Would this indicate there is a problem with injector 1/4 (whichever it is) or is this just because this is the closest cylinder to the EGR and entranceways to the inlet manifold?

I have taken pictures but tbh they dont really show the difference between the ports that can be seen by eye but still, here they are..

offending ports:

behaving ports:

both:

any ideas?

Yep you've got an egr leak or it's just the result of bad deposits from a dirty egr. Blank and remap for a permanent solution or replace the egr

The EGR valve itself and the small 90 degree pipe didnt have any oily/fuel build ups though, just a small layer of dry soot there. surely if it was the EGR at fault the same sticky mess would be there too?