What's new

Intake manifold and EGR cleaning on i-CTDi

Thanks Fahad, I bought the Accord as a cheap diesel motorway hack and then was so impressed with how it behaved that I want to look after it.

When it wasn't running 100% I was getting 60mpg at A road/motorway speeds, I didn't believe this at first but it still keeps delivering this mileage.

Only thing is, now I think it's running ok.I think the engine has a lot more to give....looks like I'll be having a run up to Halifax mate!

No probs, but I was reffering more to the EGR fix but yes of course from a tuning perspective these are one of the best cars to tune at the moment - fantastic results.

When it wasn't running 100% I was getting 60mpg at A road/motorway speeds, I didn't believe this at first but it still keeps delivering this mileage.

...I'd chew off my right arm to get this mileage. Best I've ever done from 'brimmed' full to 'coughing on fumes' empty is 530 miles :-(

...I'd chew off my right arm to get this mileage. Best I've ever done from 'brimmed' full to 'coughing on fumes' empty is 530 miles :-(
That must be your heavy foot Ian :lol:

im not getting anywhere near 60 mpg. i guess i do short trips but if i stuck on the motorway at 65 for the whole time, im sure the accord could get 700 miles out a tank.

my mpg is below in my sig

700 miles really quite achievable without 'too' much effort... but you do have to be very disciplined.. I'm getting average of 585 these days with maybe 5-7 litres left in the tanks.

Believe me, I'm not sat at 65 ;)

But I do consider myself a decent driver and I aim never to brake on a motorway and I try and predict what all the other numpties are going to do so I can adjust my speed in advance.

I do a round trip of 100 miles a day, about a quarter of that is A road, the rest motorway. When I was a bit younger I used to have to overtake every car/lorry on the A road that I could, only to be sat behind another lorry 30 seconds later.

Eventually I realised the people I'd overtaken were sat at the side of me at the roundabout leading on to the motorway, so now I just bang a CD on and chill out and still arrive at the same time.

I've just clocked it again and got 939 miles from 10 gallons and 5 gallons.....62+mpg........I really don't know how it does it!

Very impressive figures mate, and I know exactly what you mean about driving fast - it gets you nowhere anywhere faster over the course of a long journey in this country.

My best guage was driving to Heathrow & back to Manchester at cruise 7*mph on the speedo ( 70mph +tol). That's non-rush hour constant running and 530 miles covered. I've never bettered that......so I have to conclude my smokey probs are really costing me in fuel.
It's due a service next week, so this time I'm going to ask my garage to take a look around the exhaust manifold.
I might even try to remove the heatshield myself, possibly even ask the bloke at Holdcroft to verify my vin and check whether Honda did the manifold...

Im not sure what others think but I'm not convinced the cruise control is as economical as your right foot.

Definitely more efficient for me :lol:

Hi All, maybe this post needs transferring to other ones about the exhaust end of the engine.

1) Tonight I refilled with fuel : 456 miles for 56 litres. Thats a lowly 37mpg :-(

2) I decided to try and take off my exhaust manifold heatshield to look underneath it...Think I've found the problem looking the flywheel end of the engine :-

accord_manifold.jpg

So...the next big question is... is it possible to change the manifold by just disconnecting the turbo and pulling it back clear a few inches ? or does the whole turbo need to be stripped to allow the manifold to be withdrawn ? and does anyone know of a source for a cheap manifold ???

Also noticed my manifold appeared to have three screws holding the heatshield and appeared to have a weld seem. Whereas this Honda dealer ebay ad shows a 'two' screw heatshield with a different looking manifold : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-HONDA-ACCORD-DIESEL-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-KIT-04-08-/180666187944?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a108b40a8

So it appears SPUTNIK has been running on an original manifold for 240k miles :-0

The instructions say to remove the TC - it is quite an involved process.

I've tried to clean inlet maniford aswell. Removed butterfly off to clean it better.
After the cleaning then everything was in its places, started the car, and the engine started to shake, my acceleration pedal wont work at all, and white smoke from the back.

Whats happened ?
help please.

I've tried to clean inlet maniford aswell. Removed butterfly off to clean it better.
After the cleaning then everything was in its places, started the car, and the engine started to shake, my acceleration pedal wont work at all, and white smoke from the back.

Whats happened ?
help please.

How did you put the butterfly back on, I suspect it isn't sealing properly have a look at the top of post #7 of this thread.

Hello Lads
I'm just signed up here tonight..found the site after Googling Honda iCTDi EGR.
Anyway, Wife has 05 2.2 diesel Sport, 140k almost.
It brokedown today so I towed it home to investigate. I'm a diesel plant fitter by trade so I'm familiar with engines and stuff but I haven't really needed to strip the Accord until today.
First thing I did was remove the pressure sensor in front of the butterfly throttle valve.., It was completely covered in gunk so I decided to remove the butterfly.
That was badly covered too, and after looking into the manky inlet manifold, that had to come off aswell.
Looking at the pictures posted so far on this thread, you're mani's are going to require removal for cleaning in my opinion.
Mine was almost closed off on the smaller ports (4 small, 4 large) because of the tar-like black gunk.
It's not that big of a job to get the entire maifold off, but it's definately nescessary to do because it will be full of that black tarry ***** right up to the inlet ports on the cylinder head.
I cleaned the manifold out using solvent cleaner in a parts washer at my garage and used a long welding rod to scrape off the stuff all the way down through the manifold.
Looking at the inlet ports on the head itself, once the inlet manifold was off, again the four smaller inlets were full of black *****.
This I scraped out as much as possible, and when I re-***emble the inlet and have the engine running I'll use cleaner sprayed into the intake to (hopefully) remove the rest of it.
I'll post up again when it's all back together and let you know how it runs.

Got the cleaned manifold and EGR back on the car today. It took a bit of cranking to get the fuel through to the injectors after the fuel rail had been dismantled.
Fired up anyway with a bit of smoke which was to be expected, then settled down after a minute or so.
Massive difference in the car now..more free-revving and picks up so well at low RPM in high gear... Feels like a re-map!
Only thing is the that engine light is on so I'll check that tomorrow at work.
Interesting to see how the fuel consumption goes..have a 400 mile round trip at the weekend which I do regularly so that should show up any gains.

Keep us posted and pics would have been helpful.

Unfortunately if your wife mainly does local driving this will keep happening. This is why we developed our egr off mod.

Keep us posted and pics would have been helpful.

Unfortunately if your wife mainly does local driving this will keep happening. This is why we developed our egr off mod.

Howya Fahad..
Wife does a good 40mile round trip to work every day plus we do a 400mile round trip most weekends.
Sorry about not sticking up some pics but I was under pressure to get the car running again..
Seems to me that it's not exactly the fault of the EGR, because that itself was just sooty, whereas the manifold and butterfly were covered in tarry-like goo.
This is caused when the boosted air from the turbo/intercooler mixes with the EGR gas in the manifold.. the air from the turbo has oil vapour in it which mixes with the sooty gas from the EGR, resulting in the black gunk that then builds up on the rough casting inside the inlet manifold.
I'd love to bypass the EGR and not have to worry about it again, but I'm sure it would fail the NCT test (equiv.MOT).
BTW, Have you ever come to Ireland to map cars? I'd certainly join the Q.. Your Stage 1/EGR off is just what I want... ;)

That's the first time I've heard that theory actually, and it sounds kinda plausible.

What I will say is that we've seen many positive results after our EGR OFF where customers had a slight flutter/hesitation or a flat spot which has disappeared by closing the EGR loop.

The EGR OFF won't fail your MOT test, it's been designed in a specific way to ensure it remains compliant, and for it to work, we need to be working with a fully operational EGR. Many cars both here and in Ireland have been through their test now running with our EGR OFF.

I don't personally come across but we do offer a File Only service which is easy enough for you to DIY install with a cheap flashtool off ebay and a basic laptop. Drop me a line for details.

Maurice's, it sounds like your breakdown problem were all due to a big soot build up from having 140k miles on his car. 40 mile trips are mYou don't have any hesitation or flat spot issues so a good clean out of the butterfly valve, EGR valve and exhaust manifold should see you good for another 140k miles. :D

If you want to help keep the soot build up down in future and improve the smooth running of your engine you could try putting a drop of 2 stroke oil on your fuel tank. It reduces your soot emissions and helps lubricate your fuel pump and injectors.

Had a go at this today. My first job on the car (owned 3 months, on 154,000). Didnt get on to the EGR that will have to be another day but removed the pressure sensor, butterfly valve and cleaned the manifold. Upon removal all were coated in masses of sticky oily soot - i'm amazed the pressure sensor was functioning! All wiped out using many rags and a flathead screwdriver. Put it all back together and to my relief car started first time with no issues! This is really the first real job i have undertaken on any of my cars, and being only 22 it should be the first of many more - if they all go this well i'll die a very happy man! lol :D

Good for you mate. It's normal for the EGR to be coated in oily gunk to be honest, as long as it has good free movement and the valve can shut fully - it should be fine.

Update: Still not found the time to do EGR... :(

Ah in which case Fahad that may not be the cause of my engine 'laggyness' for want of a better word!

It probably is the cause to be honest, they are the cause of most slow running problems with these engines. Consider shutting it off with an egr off remap, have a read of the forum for feedback and ideas.

Been having a read around. Are there any 'side effects' to running with the EGR off? presumably emissions will be higher but does it affect MPG?

Been having a read around. Are there any 'side effects' to running with the EGR off? presumably emissions will be higher but does it affect MPG?
With EGR off, NOx emissions will rise but MPG should improve (so CO2 emissions will fall).

Combustion temperatures will rise, which some doomsayers (on other forums) suggest may cause wear/cracking issues for exhaust valves and manifold, but I've never actually heard of this being a real issue. The standard map switches off the EGR under many conditions anyway (high throttle openings, mostly) so Honda should have designed the engine to cope.

Thanks for that info Jon. I have a cracked manifold anyway so I shall be fixing that before and potentially cleaning EGR valve/passageways before considering the remap, but from all the feedback it definitely seems like a good choice!

The BEST THING that you can do for this engine is REMOVE THE INLET MANIFOLD and clean it thoroughly..
All the re-mapping or EGR-Off tuning will not remedy a gunked up Inlet Manifold.
CLEAN THE MANIFOLD!!
Really lads, I'm serious..
New Clutch kit & Flywheel recieved today..fitting it Wednesday..new wiper blades too :]

Really loving this forum....so much priceless information, and helpful members!

I have had some issues with the car revs dropping and rising when cruising which I have isolated to the IMRC. Diagnosis show this is working so I am planning to give the flaps a really good clean at the weekend to make sure they are opening and closing fully, but I am planning to remove the inlet manifold as a whole for a really deep clean....looked at it with my tech and the fuel rail will need to be removed to access the nuts....anyone had any experience of doing this? Any issues? Planning to remove and give it an overnight soak in coke....apparently the best stuff for this job

Added a can of Bg244 to a full tank tonight as a pre clean measure....hopefully be good for the injectors anyway.

Will post an update when done...